Howard gets US call-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my voice is pretty much gone this morning. The referee and the linesmen were borderline horrific and I let them know about it from Section 308.

Enough of that and on the the match:

• Michael Bradley had a decent game but he was paired with another defensive midfielder in Ricardo Clark. As much as I love both, I don't want to see that again. No one to distribute to. Bradley had a decent game though and I think he'd make a great understudy to Carsley.
  • Tim Howard played well also and could do nothing about both goals. Our marking on set pieces was terrible and we paid the price.
  • Donovan had a fairly subdued match by his standards but credit the Mexican midfield which showed their technical superiority in the second half. The USA rarely had any possession .
  • I thought Dempsey's goal should have counted but then what do I know?
  • Josy Altidore looks like he's going to be one of our starting forwards for a long, long time. Playing against Rafael Marquez didn't faze him in the least and he got the better of the match up. Had a well taken goal and just missed another.
  • Let's hope Bobby Convey is just as ineffective for Reading on Saturday as he was for the USA last night. He wasn't able to create a thing.

All in all, can't really complain about the scoreline even though we had what I thought was a legitimate goal called back. One thing is for sure. The USA had some very good bright spots but also had some issues as well which need to be addressed asap if we're going to try to make a go of it in 2010.

Which was, just in case I want to complain(y)(y)

I watched the game, at the expense of Michael Moore on Larry King and wish to observe the following:

The Centre Mid pairing of that cat Bradley and the other one must be our equivalent of Neville & Carsley in centre mid.

Bradley showed some nice touches but would need to see him more, not too upset we missed him on this performance. A sort of white Sissoko in my eyes.

Howard was impressive and Ive grown fond of his little twitch.

I was urging Howard on to snot the Mexicano hombre who he had the altercation with.

Dempsey, lots of talents but seems to believe his own hype. Good player though.

Donovan was very good first half and [Poor language removed] second.

I wasnt fond of the frosted hair style of the Mexican scorer.

The teenager up front could the new Emile Heskey.

The first US goal was an ace header.

I couldnt find Bill on TV.

Lots of texan males have goatees.

• Michael Bradley had a decent game but he was paired with another defensive midfielder in Ricardo Clark. As much as I love both, I don't want to see that again. No one to distribute to. Bradley had a decent game though and I think he'd make a great understudy to Carsley.
  • Tim Howard played well also and could do nothing about both goals. Our marking on set pieces was terrible and we paid the price.
  • Donovan had a fairly subdued match by his standards but credit the Mexican midfield which showed their technical superiority in the second half. The USA rarely had any possession .
  • I thought Dempsey's goal should have counted but then what do I know?
  • Josy Altidore looks like he's going to be one of our starting forwards for a long, long time. Playing against Rafael Marquez didn't faze him in the least and he got the better of the match up. Had a well taken goal and just missed another.
  • Let's hope Bobby Convey is just as ineffective for Reading on Saturday as he was for the USA last night. He wasn't able to create a thing.

I watched from the 30th minute...

Dempseys offside call was as bad as Johnson's. He was 2 yards onside.

Its time for Altidore to move on. Like I said if I were Villa I'd throw 10-15M at him.

Bradley didn't seem to come up in the attack that much. Mexico seemed to attack from the wings too. So I couldn't really tell.

Howard played well.

Yes Donovan is a top 11 American and I think talent wise he's by far the best ever US player (not counting GKs). But there are no matches of concequence that are being played in the US til god knows when. He's a different player outside the US though. I can understand the rationale of not dropping I guess. But if he stinks up the joint in the confederations cup then there is no point keeping him. Remember the Chech Rep match, one hard tackle w/in the 1st 3 minutes and then he was afraid to touch the ball for the other 90.

I think the US could be really good in about 5 years but they have to quit playing Mexico. Everybody knows we play Mexico well. The US needs experience against European teams that go right at them. Against teams that have a slow buildup we are fine. But if we play a team that plays like Germany we are getting waxed.

Gooch still scares me. I just keep remembering the hip check that Darren Bent put on him that sent him flying into the stands. How bad do you have to be for the Barcodes to drop you from CB??

Freddy Adu didn't play much. From what I saw he was mostly in the middle and immediately got knocked off the ball by players much bigger than him. He should be forced to do 50 push ups anytime he strays into the middle of the pitch.

What happened to Borstein (the LB)? I thought he was really good in the Gold Cup.

I really wish we had Castillo on the right.

Last edited:
To put in my 2 cents on the game:

Altidore is the future.
That Mexican dude almost certainly had nightmares about Howard after the game.
US back 4 are just not very good. And they are not used to their keeper screaming obscenities at them (better get used to it boys - no Kasey Keller to baby you anymore!)
Bradley again played to a B+... I don't know what to think about him.
Donovan is still only 25, he's not going away anytime soon whether we like it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back