Howard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiler

Player Valuation: £100m
Those who have been here a long time, will kwno me not to be a big fan of Howard and personally, i wasnt overly estatic when he signed (not to pull of graveson or anything), but to be fair i have come around to him a lot with his consistent displays in fornt of a strong back four last season and someof his shot stopping is the best around!

That said, i think he was at fault on a couple of occasions last night, i didnt like his positioning for Ballacks free kick. I think he needs to come for balls coming into the area an awfull lot more then he does. He really needs to shout if hes coming or not for balls as on a couple of occasions last night the defenders were caght expecting him to come and been put under pressure to hoof it away. I think he could have been better positioned for their second goal as well os anticipating what was likley to happen.

Im not saying get rid of him nor ami trying to blame or make him a scape goat for looseing last nightt and in fairness he made some great saves last night, as i said im not a fan in the sense i think there are better keepers out there and i dont think hes as good as Martyn was. But what concerns me is that poor judgement cost us a goal against Arsenal, IMO, last night as well and im concerned his form isnt as good as it has been, and his understanding with the defence isnt as good as it could be.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
He hasnt been my favorite, but he does make lots of great saves. He doesnt do good enough for me from crosses, freekicks, etc. He can overcome those sorts of things though. Not the best overall.

Howard is one of the best in the league in my opinion and a bargain at the price we paid. But I do agree his form last night was shocking at times. Not just the last goal, but on many times i was screaming at the tv for him to move quicker.

Still, its only form and when he's on form he's one of the best around. Everyone has bad games.

Disagree, he's the best keeper in the premiership who's going through a tough time at the moment, he's not been as commanding since he dislocated a finger on duty for america. However, I still believe even though he seems to have lost some confidence that he's the right man for the job. You said that there is better keepers out there, but you didn't say whether they where tried and tested in the premiership and available to buy now, the only obvious one I can think of is Jussi Jaaskelainen, but even still I'd rate Howard over him. If you where thinking of going after a foreign keeper then spare a thought for Valencia's Timo Hildebrand who looked the dog's bollocks in the Bundesliga.....he looks just bollocks now.

Howard for most of his Everton career so far is usually reliable, I doubt we've seen a better shot stopper at the club since Neville Southall. Somewhere down the line this season Howard seems to have lost a bit of confidence and his communication with his defence has vanished. I believe that this is just a blib that he will overcome through getting a string of cleansheets together. Howard is the best keeper Everton have had since Southall.

I agree with Zero, its all a confidence thing. The only thing missing in his game right now is his decision making and thats firmly down to a lack of confidence.

I thought it was around the 3.5 million mark, but im not certain.

Checked his player biography on TW and they say its 3 million so your not far off. That certainly is a steal he looks like he could be sold for atleast 8 now.

For the price we paid could we have found a better keeper though?
I like howard but i don,t think he commands his box like he should that begs the question what does chris woods do in training cos wessels seems to have gone backwards and ruddy and turner don,t seem to have come on like they should have.
On howard though great value for money i agree sim

I can't really excuse the Arsenal balls up but it was incredibly windy last night so I can understand why both keepers were uncertain about coming for crosses.

He has in general been a fine signing for us and hopefully the slight blip he's having at the moment, together it has to be said with the two centre backs in front of him, is just that and they can get back to the solid performances they showed during our long unbeaten run.

I like howard but i don,t think he commands his box like he should that begs the question what does chris woods do in training cos wessels seems to have gone backwards and ruddy and turner don,t seem to have come on like they should have.
On howard though great value for money i agree sim

I wonder how respected woods is as a gk coach, I know he has a big name from his playing days but to be fair we've been through a fair few keepers since he's been with us and not really brought through any of our own.

had a few mistakes recently.

other than that, more than happy to see him continue in goal. Great shot stopper, and will improve as far as communication goes.

the first goal - wouldn't have been saved by any keeper in the premiership.

A 21 million pound player goes round Lee Carsley and bends it as far as it can go whilst still going in?

He will be back to his impervious best. I rated him quite high before we bought him and he has eclipsed that rating in the most part.

One of the best keepers in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back