I absolutely could not believe this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TX Bill

Player Valuation: £80m
Here in the USA, our main sports channel is ESPN.

Every night on the very widely watched Sportscenter, they show their Top Ten Plays of the day in sports.. It could be anything from College Basketball to NHL Hockey to NASCAR. Anything having to do with sports they're gonna show a great hockey goal or save, a dunk or a block in basketball, grand slam in baseball, you get my drift.

Occasionally, a soccer highlight will make the Top Ten and more often than not, it's gonna be from a Champions League match or MLS match that ESPN had the rights to but I want to emphasize that it's still rare.

So....

...imagine my surprise when they went to commercial break advertising that their Top Ten plays of the day were coming right up and I couldn't freaking believe who they were showing in the promo !!!

They were showing Yakubu being mobbed after scoring one of his goals and quickly cutting to his 2nd goal before they went to commercial break !!!

I shot up in my bed and told the wife, "I don't think I've ever seen Everton or any Everton player on the ESPN Top Ten plays much less the whole Sportscenter show.

So I'm sitting straight up in bed waiting for the plays to come back on and I say, "Well Yakubu will probably be somewhere around number 8 or 7 in the countdown to the number one "play" in sports for the day but who cares, at least we're being shown on the most watched American sports show".

Well imagine to my further surprise...

...Yakubu is number freaking ONE on the Top Ten. They show Cahill's backheel flick to set up number one and then show Yakubu dummy the two Brann defenders before knocking in number two, this while narrating what's going on. The anchors were real enamoured with Cahill's backheel. They then cut to the anchors who then say, "Yakubu had a hat trick and we didn't even show you number three."

Kind a cool that I can finally say that I've seen Everton on Sportscenter. Don't know if it'll happen again for a long, long time.

(Hope our fellow American Blues got to see it !!!! I still can't believe it.)

Gonna watch Sportcenter now, thanks for the tip.

I thought that Yakubu dummy was brilliant.

We need to get Michael Bradley. Honestly, soccer is growing in America and the fans will go for the teams with the American players (Howard).

The second goal was a cracker. We don't score many counter attacking goals so it was great to see. Yak looked like a smug kid on the playground after scoring a peach, it was wonderful to see the lads enjoying themselves so much.

Yakubu just oozed class last night,i'm struggling to recall a more relaxed natural finisher, the man just doesn't seem to panic in goal scoring situations.

Sportscenter is a big deal

I'm an Everton fan from Seattle, and I too was floored to see Yakubu on Sportscenter.

If you're not from the US you don't understand how big a deal this is. Sportscenter is watched by millions, and the Top 10 is the big closer to the show. To have the top play is an honor.

I wonder if Yakubu or his agent saw this. His profile was just raised considerably stateside.

Just bizarre that was on there. They didn't even cover the game during the show. I'll take it though.

PS Agree Everton should target Michael Bradley. He is the truth.

Last edited:
Welcome SeattleToffee! I spent 4 years of my life up your way!

+1 on the amazement of being on Sportscenter. I never watch it as they never cover anything interesting ;) so for us to be on there, let alone #1 is big news!

I've seen sportscentre on but I never watch it, I never watch ESPN it has the most ridiculous sports on! But I'll keep an eye out for sportscentre again! AWESOME!

Here in the USA, our main sports channel is ESPN.

Every night on the very widely watched Sportscenter, they show their Top Ten Plays of the day in sports.. It could be anything from College Basketball to NHL Hockey to NASCAR. Anything having to do with sports they're gonna show a great hockey goal or save, a dunk or a block in basketball, grand slam in baseball, you get my drift.

Occasionally, a soccer highlight will make the Top Ten and more often than not, it's gonna be from a Champions League match or MLS match that ESPN had the rights to but I want to emphasize that it's still rare.

So....

...imagine my surprise when they went to commercial break advertising that their Top Ten plays of the day were coming right up and I couldn't freaking believe who they were showing in the promo !!!

They were showing Yakubu being mobbed after scoring one of his goals and quickly cutting to his 2nd goal before they went to commercial break !!!

I shot up in my bed and told the wife, "I don't think I've ever seen Everton or any Everton player on the ESPN Top Ten plays much less the whole Sportscenter show.

So I'm sitting straight up in bed waiting for the plays to come back on and I say, "Well Yakubu will probably be somewhere around number 8 or 7 in the countdown to the number one "play" in sports for the day but who cares, at least we're being shown on the most watched American sports show".

Well imagine to my further surprise...

...Yakubu is number freaking ONE on the Top Ten. They show Cahill's backheel flick to set up number one and then show Yakubu dummy the two Brann defenders before knocking in number two, this while narrating what's going on. The anchors were real enamoured with Cahill's backheel. They then cut to the anchors who then say, "Yakubu had a hat trick and we didn't even show you number three."

Kind a cool that I can finally say that I've seen Everton on Sportscenter. Don't know if it'll happen again for a long, long time.

(Hope our fellow American Blues got to see it !!!! I still can't believe it.)

Go easy :(

I've seen sportscentre on but I never watch it, I never watch ESPN it has the most ridiculous sports on! But I'll keep an eye out for sportscentre again! AWESOME!

Funny you mention that because when ESPN first started as a cable sports channel, they'd show the sports that you'd never see anywhere else on TV in the USA.

They'd show Aussie Rules Football. They'd show World's Strongest Man competitions (still do that one too.) They'd show the Lumberjack World Finals. They'd show it all.

Over the years, they got more into mainstream sports and now are the 800 lb gorilla of sports shows in the USA. They regularly show MLB, NBA, NFL, & NHL games along with quite a bit of Tennis. They'll also show the first two days of the Masters golf tournament now.

The best part is now that they've got a contract with the MLS and show a match every Thursday night in HD.

But Seattle Toffee is right. Sportscenter, which is an hour long show and recaps the days highlights in all of the major sports here in the USA is watched by millions every night. And last night, they all got to see the greatness that is Yakubu.

And Seattle, you were right in using the word "bizarre" as I couldn't think of any other way to describe it. For a few seconds, I thought I was watching FSC and said to myself, "Wait a minute, I thought I was watching ESPN" and it took a second to hit me that no, I was watching Yakubu highlights on Sportscenter. Bizarre indeed.

Last edited:
rumours are espn are going to challenge sky for the next contract to televise the premiership.

we think it was a big money windfall signed only 12 months ago, there could be a really big number on the horizon.

The way things are going Suits, I would not be surprised, at least here in the USA. Right now we rely on FSC and Setanta for all of the Premier League matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back