"I couldn't care less" if Blues concede first Says Roberto Martinez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have only just now caught up the thread and read the Echo article. Have to say words fail me, it does help to win games if you are not chasing them in the first place. But how is it the reasons coming out are, defence adrift, players abit slow etc but never does he accept any responsibilty like keep play out of form players, or his substitutions, a little honesty from him might help now and again.

Yeah it's a sensationalist headline which doesn't accuratly portray the point he's making.

If, after the game and we've won, sure, it doesn't matter who scored first when talking solely about the result.

But when you're constantly conceding the first goal in games then that is an issue. Why? Because i don't know the stats but i'm pretty sure teams who score the first goal win more games than teams who don't.

It's a lot easier to win when you score the first goal instead of having to do things the hard way all the time.

And one of the main reason why we concede the first goal is because of how poorly we start games, something which is down to the manager to sort out. So regardless of whether the echo made a sensationalist headline out of his comment, he really shouldn't be saying he couldn't care less if we concede the first goal at all.

It's not too difficult to say something along the lines of "Obviously conceding the first goal is disappointing and something we will work on. Whilst we are conceding first but still winning it's good that that shows a resiliance and good character but we'd prefer to score the first goal ourselves and win games easier than we are".

Not hard at all is it?

Am I missing something? He pretty much said exactly that.

“It is something you don't want to do, clearly," Martinez said.

“Goals, as you know, change games but normally we don't seem to be deflated or effected too much when we have a disappointment on the pitch.

“That is a real positive.

He's said it's not what they want to do, acknowledged the importance of goals like these in games, but has said he's pleased we've not folded after conceding first this season.

Needs to be emphasising that we need to start games at a far higher tempo with more purpose. It's like we start games after taking sleeping tablets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back