2022/23 Idrissa Gana Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hes a DM playing box to box. Imagine Mascherano or Makelele playing box to box.

Doesnt work.

Gana should be box to box.
Yeah agree with the Gana thing there.

Gana has never been a sit in defensive midfielder. He is good at getting around the pitch, showing for a pass and nicking the ball off players all over the pitch.

His legs have gone. He absolutely can't play box to box
I don't really see any evidence of his legs going though (no more so than any of the other players anyway).

I see him sitting deep and everyone giving him the ball in the same risky position all the time which is never going to end well.

I don't really see any evidence of his legs going though (no more so than any of the other players anyway).

I see him sitting deep and everyone giving him the ball in the same risky position all the time which is never going to end well.
He got the run around today against opposition who are far from brilliant. I have no idea what he does in the team (other than constantly lose possession) and I have no idea why the club wanted to bring him back. I just dont understand Everton these days. It seems to be that he was brought back purely for nostalgia or something because he's offering nothing to the side.

I dont know whether to laugh or cry when I think back on those weeks upon weeks when we tried and tried to sign him while the team lined up with no available striker.

I mean he's been pretty poor, obviously, but he's also been played as a one-man midfield in the last two league games, which is on the manager and coaches.

Give him some help ffs, because Onana's not looking anywhere close to one of the best midfield prospects going playing in his current role either.

I mean he's been pretty poor, obviously, but he's also been played as a one-man midfield in the last two league games, which is on the manager and coaches.

Give him some help ffs, because Onana's not looking anywhere close to one of the best midfield prospects going playing in his current role either.
Hes just not very good. I dont know why people are shocked that bringing back a 33 year old ex player hasn't worked. It was just a bad decision to bring him back, based on nostalgia and sentiment rather than strategic footballing reasons.

Hes just not very good. I dont know why people are shocked that bringing back a 33 year old ex player hasn't worked. It was just a bad decision to bring him back, based on nostalgia and sentiment rather than strategic footballing reasons.
there's not many players who would look good playing in the way he is being though

It wasn't based on sentiment, Thelwell and Lampard wanted him. He's not the player he was but he's not being played right.

You're in the Lampard thread rightly saying that he's getting the system and shape wrong. That's true, and while players in the system are playing badly, the shape of the team and how they're lining up isn't helping anyone.

Garner looked just as lost the other day because Davies and Doucoure were pushing on too.

there's not many players who would look good playing in the way he is being though

It wasn't based on sentiment, Thelwell and Lampard wanted him. He's not the player he was but he's not being played right.

You're in the Lampard thread rightly saying that he's getting the system and shape wrong. That's true, and while players in the system are playing badly, the shape of the team and how they're lining up isn't helping anyone.

Garner looked just as lost the other day because Davies and Doucoure were pushing on too.
The shape is wrong but hes losing his 1 v 1 battles too. Billing ran the game today for Bournemouth and he's absolutely not a top midfielder. I just saw the MOTD clips and Gueye was being absolutely ran ragged by them.

I just dont understand the signing and I dont understand carrying out another complete overhaul of the midfield and ignoring goals and creativity again. Is it any wonder we cant score when we sign 3 new midfielders who have 1 assist and 0 goals between them in mid November.

The shape is wrong but hes losing his 1 v 1 battles too. Billing ran the game today for Bournemouth and he's absolutely not a top midfielder. I just saw the MOTD clips and Gueye was being absolutely ran ragged by them.

I just dont understand the signing and I dont understand carrying out another complete overhaul of the midfield and ignoring goals and creativity again. Is it any wonder we cant score when we sign 3 new midfielders who have 1 assist and 0 goals between them in mid November.
Yes, Gueye was being run ragged - but it doesn't help that he's literally sitting on his own in the centre of the park does it? It was 3v1 on him for most of the game. That's mad, and it's on the manager and other players not helping out too - Onana strolling around and Iwobi unsure whether to come or go.

That's not to say Gueye has been good, nowhere near it. But he looked fine v Palace, fine v West Ham and S'ton, for the most part bar his error on the ball (weak spot as we know) when Onana was sitting a tad deeper. And I'd argue we lost any semblance of control off the ball v Fulham when he was taken off for no real reason.

We need to reshuffle the midfield. I wouldn't be against changing it so Gana isn't in v Wolves, none of them deserve a guaranteed start. I imagine Garner would have played if he was fit, but we cannot persist with the shape we're playing and expect results to change.

FWIW I've always liked Billing and wanted us to get him when he was at Huddersfield. We looked, Brands again decided 'not technical enough'. He's not a world beater but he has size, speed and he's decent on the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.