2023/24 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, time catching up with a decent player. Not sure what replacing him looks like at the moment - we need someone to do that job. Gomez?

Onana likes to press on, maybe even Garner could sit in there but I feel Gueye's done in that role after this season and needs to improve right now.
:confused:

Should only ever be told to sit deep, intercept play, pass to the first Everton player in the first direction he is facing.

Seeing him pop up left wing and taking pot shots drives me scatty.

When everyone is fit I wouldnt be starting him.
Agree with this, he should be no further than 10 yards away from the CBs but there is still no one who intercepts the ball better at the club.

The whole midfield are poor in possession, for me that should be the priority in January.

Should only ever be told to sit deep, intercept play, pass to the first Everton player in the first direction he is facing.

Seeing him pop up left wing and taking pot shots drives me scatty.

When everyone is fit I wouldnt be starting him.

…his shooting is particularly bad although we live in hope that one might eventually go in the top corner. He can ‘sack’ opposition when playing in the top third and I think it was him who delivered that terrific pass to put Beto in on goal. He took the ball on the spin plenty yesterday and made valuable ground.

I just wonder if he’s too busy to play that ‘Lee Carsley’ role and I’d be petrified of him giving away possession with no cover behind.

You have to think he’s the one Garner might be able to succeed.

…his shooting is particularly bad although we live in hope that one might eventually go in the top corner. He can ‘sack’ opposition when playing in the top third and I think it was him who delivered that terrific pass to put Beto in on goal. He took the ball on the spin plenty yesterday and made valuable ground.

I just wonder if he’s too busy to play that ‘Lee Carsley’ role and I’d be petrified of him giving away possession with no cover behind.

You have to think he’s the one Garner might be able to succeed.
He was never a great passer from his 1st spell but I was a little alarmed by how easily he was dispossesed by bad touches a couple of times in the 1st half which could have cost us.

I really liked Gana in his first spell but he has been pretty bad since he returned.
However the first half yesterday was one of the worst performances I've seen from a top player .
Fortunately he improved massively in the 2nd half.

I really liked Gana in his first spell but he has been pretty bad since he returned.
However the first half yesterday was one of the worst performances I've seen from a top player .
Fortunately he improved massively in the 2nd half.
Gave the ball away in dangerous areas at least twice in the first half. Better teams would generally have scored from these.
One of Onana’s best games for us though.

i don't think he is the guy for the anchor/defensive midfield role. He has always given the ball away cheaply now and then with an errant pass/control or poor decision making. You can't have that in front of your back 4, it's giving away goal scoring opportunities every game, leaving our defence brutally exposed. It seems clear to most Onana should be in that role, with Gana further up field using his tremendous stamina to break up play, then keeping it simple. Can someone pass the memo onto Dyche, perchance?

But he also had some good moments when he drove forward, couple of defence splitting passes we should have done better with, particularly the Beto miss
Gana played the exact same pass people are fawning over Garner for. I get the shouts of not starting him (once we have an actual right winger) but he is by far the best guy at winning the ball upfield and putting us into those counter attacking situations to begin with. You can swap him for a ball player and it wouldn’t kill us because we have Garner, Onana and Doucore that provide the energy but you do lose something for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back