2023/24 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gana played the exact same pass people are fawning over Garner for. I get the shouts of not starting him (once we have an actual right winger) but he is by far the best guy at winning the ball upfield and putting us into those counter attacking situations to begin with. You can swap him for a ball player and it wouldn’t kill us because we have Garner, Onana and Doucore that provide the energy but you do lose something for sure.

Mate that’s literally the only through ball I have seen him play in both his stints here

Rodri generally doesn’t have to win it back e cause they have 75% possession every match. Damn lies and statistics rearing its head again.
Except for the fact that Gana's also ahead of everyone else in that category...

He does need to pack in the shooting from outside the box, and he does have the odd hospital ball in him (but who doesn't in our team, but he's not nearly as bad as people are making out, and actually quite good and keeping possesion in tight spaces and playing forward passes when the opportunity arises (eg - but not talking specifically about through balls in to the oppo box - the pass to Beto).

Him and Onana played well on Saturday against Brentford. Both have to take more care with distribution though. Lift your head and find a through ball. Beto and DCL should now be able to give them an outlet instead of shuffling sideways.

I thought Gana was the weak ling at the weekend. We were lucky that nothing came from his mistakes... and there were a few.

Signing a younger defensive midfielder has now moved to the top of the priorities.

I thought Gana Gueye had a decent game against Brentford, but he's the only player that causes me to shout "Pass it" instead of "Shoot!" when he gets the ball on the edge of the opposition area.

If we have any money in Jan I’d like to try find his successor. There are loads of dirty work midfielders out there for decent fees. Just need an annoying little destroyer in there.

It's weird with him, it's not like his legs have totally gone but his decision making is just attrocious most of the time, then he'll pull out a great pass somewhere.

PSG ruined him I'd guess, playing in a team that had about 90% possession and blew teams away every week in a league of farmers. He's far too confident and comfortable on the ball compared to his ability if that makes sense.

He'll 100% be off to Saudi next year but if we manage him a bit I still think he'd have a good 60 minutes or full game every 2 or 3. He's not a player anymore that can play 90 minutes every week in this league. I still love him but we should really try to build that Onana, Garner, Doucoure 3 once Harrison is fit.

…his shooting is particularly bad although we live in hope that one might eventually go in the top corner. He can ‘sack’ opposition when playing in the top third and I think it was him who delivered that terrific pass to put Beto in on goal. He took the ball on the spin plenty yesterday and made valuable ground.

I just wonder if he’s too busy to play that ‘Lee Carsley’ role and I’d be petrified of him giving away possession with no cover behind.

You have to think he’s the one Garner might be able to succeed.

Eggs is right imo that Garner should be his successor.

Nymzee is right that we need another midfielder brought in -- my hope would be Wharton at Blackburn.

Baggzio is right that Gana will be off to Saudi. Nice if we could get a fee for him in Jan and replace with Wharton.

Would be happy to see Garner and Onana central and Wharton as sub. A very long term setup.

Poor lad has gone from playing with Messi, Mbappe and Neymar to Maupay, Simms and Cannon....let's give him a bit of time with DCL and Beto. His main job is winning the ball, and he's outstanding at that. Let's give the lad a bit of credit.

Mate he’s played with DCL for years and I’m not sure if he’s ever played with Cannon at all?

Poor lad has gone from playing with Messi, Mbappe and Neymar to Maupay, Simms and Cannon....let's give him a bit of time with DCL and Beto. His main job is winning the ball, and he's outstanding at that. Let's give the lad a bit of credit.
Works hard breaks up play tackles well then is so wasteful in possession that it will undo the work he does well. Would like to see Garner and Onana again on the weekend.

Eggs is right imo that Garner should be his successor.

Nymzee is right that we need another midfielder brought in -- my hope would be Wharton at Blackburn.

Baggzio is right that Gana will be off to Saudi. Nice if we could get a fee for him in Jan and replace with Wharton.

Would be happy to see Garner and Onana central and Wharton as sub. A very long term setup.
Well I was only able to see the last twenty odd minutes last night, bad stream which came to life around the 65th. minute, but for the ten minutes I saw of Onana he looked to be well involved and confident on the ball and plenty of fans gave him the thumbs up for his performance so I’ll go along with them and look forward to watching him on Saturday and carrying on last nights performance, as long as he’s involved throughout the game, which seemed to be the case last night.

If you drop gana, you lose your main ball winning midfielder. By keeping him on you risk giving the ball away in dangerous areas. He just needs to lose that casual pass he too often makes. And of course, stop him from shooting.
Sadly I think we've got to acknowledge that his career in the top tier is coming to an end, he's been brilliant at times and a great servant to the club, but he's on the way down and no longer suits the prem.

Everyone loves him and respects him here at everton, but take the blue tinted specs off for a minute, how many other prem teams does he start for?

End of an era etc but Just like with Iwobi, we'll be more competitive without him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back