Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a text off a mate who's a long time season ticket holder at Villa:

"I'm disappointed. To be honest. Liked him. Midfield battler. ball winner. Works hard"

That'll do.
If anyone has to say 'works hard' as an attribute and not a given, he's lacking in attributes that would make us a top club, as underwhelming a signing as anyone could hope for, that fat headed dutch beaut wouldnt have signed him for soton, what does that say about us?

If anyone has to say 'works hard' as an attribute and not a given, he's lacking in attributes that would make us a top club, as underwhelming a signing as anyone could hope for, that fat headed dutch beaut wouldnt have signed him for soton, what does that say about us?
???
Just because a player works hard it doesn't make them a poor player. Quite the opposite.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/how-everton-new-man-steve-11696160

How Everton new man Steve Walsh influenced signing of Idrissa Gueye
Gueye put pen to paper on four year deal on Tuesday after Blues triggered buy-out clause

IFGANAGAY.jpg

Steve Walsh's influence is already being felt at Everton with the arrival of Idrissa Gueye (left)
Steve Walsh held a transfer summit with Ronald Koeman at Finch Farm on the day of his appointment as Everton’s director of football.

It was a meeting designed to help kick-start the Blues summer spending after a frustratingly slow start.

Koeman had been looking for the players into inject quality all over the pitch but his pursuit of midfielders was proving tricky.

But Walsh arrived at Goodison with an expert knowledge and understanding of the market.

He suggested Everton make a move for Idrissa Gueye.

JS96154710.jpg

New Everton signing Idrissa Gueye poses for a photo at Finch Farm
Koeman was already well aware of the Villa midfielder’s quality but with Walsh’s recommendation in tow, the pair agreed to press ahead.

Walsh was the man who threw his weight behind Leicester City parting with £5.5m to sign N’Golo Kante and it proved one of the steals of the summer.

The France international was the engine room in Leicester City’s remarkable Premier League title success and was sold to Chelsea last month for £30m.

The similarities between Kante and Gueye are stark .

And a stats comparison even shows Everton’s new boy to have enjoyed a better season in a number of key areas and only marginally behind in others, despite playing in a side that was relegated.

GettyImages-457720618.jpg

Idrissa Gueye Europa League action for Lille against Everton in 2014
Ligue 1, from where Gueye was signed by Villa, is a division Walsh knows like the back of his hand so with his conviction and Koeman’s experience, it was a very much a meeting of minds around the table at Everton’s training ground that day.

Gueye made his first-team breakthrough at Lille in 2010 and helped them to title success the following season before leaving for Villa last summer.

The Senegal international faced Everton twice last season, in 4-0 and 3-1 victories for the Blues, and also faced them on two occasions in the 2014-15 campaign.

GettyImages-458522226.jpg

Tony Hibbert of Everton and Idrissa Gueye of Lille chase the ball during the UEFA Europa League Group H match at Goodison Park on November 6, 2014
Roberto Martinez’s Everton were drawn in a Europa League group with Lille and Gueye played the full 90 minutes in both matches.

Blues fans may not have noticed him at Goodison in November 2014 or last season when their team swept Lille and Villa aside.

But after signing a four-year-deal to become the second capture of the Koeman-era, they are set to see a lot more of him.

Shout out to @JoeDoesDesigns at the bottom of this article ;)

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...eman-explains-idrissa-gueyes-everton-11696096

Koeman explains Idrissa Gueye's Everton switch and reasons for £7.1m swoop
Idrissa Gueye will bring better interceptions to Everton midfield according to Koeman
JS96154299.jpg

New Everton signing Idrissa Gueye poses for a photo at Finch Farm
Ronald Koeman has revealed that Idrissa Gueye's record of interceptions was behind the decision to sign him.

The 26-year-old has today put pen to paper on a four-year-deal after Everton triggered his £7.1m release clause.

Koeman says the Senegal international brings "quality" to the Blues midfield and believes he will fit into his way of pressing at Goodison.

Gueye had a stand-out season at Villa despite the Midlands club being relegated to the Championship and Koeman is thrilled to have secured the services of a man who drew telling comparisons to N'Golo Kante during Leicester City's title-winning season.

Koeman said: “Idrissa will provide quality in our squad in the midfield and we want to increase the quality in the team.

"He was one of the players last season with the best record in interceptions and pressing in the midfield.

JS96154295.jpg

Idrissa Gueye
"We need this kind of quality and I’m happy to have him joining our club.”

Gueye, who will wear the No 17 shirt at Goodison, said: “I am very happy to be here at Everton and I am very happy and excited to put on the Blue shirt to start the new season here.

“Everton is a big team with big players and great fans. The manager told me he is very happy to have me here and that we will have time to talk about football after.

“I am a defensive midfield player and I like making passes and also getting forward.

JS77166827.jpg

Romelu Lukaku of Everton and Idrissa Gueye tussle for the ball last term
“I have played a season with Aston Villa which was a hard season but I think my style is good for the Premier League. You have to fight every game. All the teams are strong and you have to concentrate all through the game.

“Goodison Park is a very good stadium and the fans are very good, too. They push their team forward and I am excited to play there.”

Idrissa-Gueye-graphic.png

Idrissa Gueye graphic by JoeDoesDesigns

Some competition for Mccarthy at least.

So this must mean James is leaving

You'd have to think he comes in as a starter for the first game of the season, alongside who though I wonder.

Are we going to continue with two defensive midfield players?

Is Barry fit to be a first team regular this season?

Will McCarthy and Gueye be a good pair?

Do we need more creativity?

So many questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back