Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.

I thought this was interesting. I'd love to see more tactical Everton videos.

On the Gueye video, can someone give me a proper reason as to why he's wrong? I think Gueye is boss but it did seem to make sense in those examples. Perhaps sometimes he would have won the ball and got us on the attack, which makes up for the times he gets caught upfield?

On the Gueye video, can someone give me a proper reason as to why he's wrong? I think Gueye is boss but it did seem to make sense in those examples. Perhaps sometimes he would have won the ball and got us on the attack, which makes up for the times he gets caught upfield?
He's not wrong but it's misguided as he gets caught out of position over pursuing about ten times less than he wins the ball back as you say. It's not really a concern considering he is supposed to have people behind him to cover and he will work his way back as well

He's not wrong but it's misguided as he gets caught out of position over pursuing about ten times less than he wins the ball back as you say. It's not really a concern considering he is supposed to have people behind him to cover and he will work his way back as well

exactly... that's what Schneiderlin/Barry/McCarthy are for. and I have no doubt that when Gana breaks formation to press the ball, he's doing exactly as Koeman et al have instructed.

watching Gana is one of the few unambiguously good things in today's troubled and stupid times. may his good name not be besmirched.

exactly... that's what Schneiderlin/Barry/McCarthy are for. and I have no doubt that when Gana breaks formation to press the ball, he's doing exactly as Koeman et al have instructed.

watching Gana is one of the few unambiguously good things in today's troubled and stupid times. may his good name not be besmirched.

I am sure that is why we purchased Schniederlin. Round pegs for round holes is what makes a successful team. Morgan sits whilst Gana hunts the ball and plays it to Davies/Barkley to feed Lukaku. The team needs to play to each individuals strength and we have made great strides towards this in the past few months.

Whatever happens going forward though, I am determined to get the word 'besmirched' used in work today.

I don't buy into this Gana cannot do anything wrong thing, as none of our players are faultless, but this piece is just wrong on so many fronts. It's as if the author has some sort of beef with him.

In what world does Gana polarise Evertonians. FFS even Dave likes him.

He then pulls Gana up for trying to be positive and putting Rom through on goal. He should have played the safe pass wide rather than risk turnover of possession. Remind you of anyone?

He then pulls him up for pressing too far forward. That's the game that RK (and most of us fans) wants him to play. If he's out of position by being too far forward and an obvious gap has been left, one of the other players just need to fill in for him. It's the same with any player, not just Gana.

I think RK is trying to develop a fluidity to our game whereby players interchange and cover for each other. It's up to the players on the pitch to make sure this happens, whoever they are. I think this idiot just wants everyone to stay in their position. Yeah. Really looking forward to our next nil nil draw.

Cant wait for the next in the series. He'll be singling Coleman out next for spending too much time in the oppositions box rather than man marking his winger.

He's absolutely wrong (IMO, of course).
Apologies for the budget-style analysis (got a few mins and microsoft Paint!)

Koeman's Everton press the ball as we all know. According to Pep (the king of pressing), when your team loses possession, a hard press immediately will ensure the opposition punt long. That needs to be started by the player closest to the ball at the time it's turned over. Everyone else then needs to press the available options to the man on the ball. The theory is they panic and batter the ball high and long.

The position of Everton when Gueye loses the ball is pretty spot on. Coleman needs to retreat so he can offer himself to whoever receives the ball when it is is punted by the Hull CB. Under pressure, that's exactly what Hull do - kick it long. Again, that's been caused by the player nearest to the ball when it was turned over - Gana Gueye.

upload_2017-3-29_12-46-10.webp

If Gueye doesn't attack and split those two CBs, Hull can (attempt) to play out calmly, which obviously isn't what you want when all your players are high up the pitch.

The next bit of analysis is really confusing. "Morgan Schneiderlin has to step into an advanced position". Well, no, he needs to ensure that the lines between the advanced midfielders and the defence are not so huge that Hull can pick up the ball and run. So again, his positioning is fine.

The positioning however of my / our beloved LB however, Leighton Baines is where grief is caused together with the mis-communication between Jags and Schneiderlin.

upload_2017-3-29_12-52-57.webp

As soon as MS is put under pressure, Baines has got to smell danger and step across. It's the only run available to Hull on the counter. If he steps across it is conceivable that Markovic doesn't even make the run at all. Instead, he stays wide too long which tempts the Hull winger.

As well, MS has two options, play the ball back to Jags (Coleman has made an angle by now to make receive the pas from Jags) OR kick it out. Between them all, they do none of these and bunch together. With a bit of luck, Hull come out with the ball and Markovic can see acres to run into.

Thankfully Baines has reacted just in time but imagine if this had been that other Polish lad they've got (i think he's polish) - far quicker and would have been in one on one.

So to summarise, there are quite a few errors from our perspective here but none of them have been caused by Gueye.

Gueye isn't the type of player you account for with tactics. He is an instinctively cracking player, you can't teach that. Getting him to do something else is pointless.

I don't buy into this Gana cannot do anything wrong thing, as none of our players are faultless, but this piece is just wrong on so many fronts. It's as if the author has some sort of beef with him.

In what world does Gana polarise Evertonians. FFS even Dave likes him.

He then pulls Gana up for trying to be positive and putting Rom through on goal. He should have played the safe pass wide rather than risk turnover of possession. Remind you of anyone?

He then pulls him up for pressing too far forward. That's the game that RK (and most of us fans) wants him to play. If he's out of position by being too far forward and an obvious gap has been left, one of the other players just need to fill in for him. It's the same with any player, not just Gana.

I think RK is trying to develop a fluidity to our game whereby players interchange and cover for each other. It's up to the players on the pitch to make sure this happens, whoever they are. I think this idiot just wants everyone to stay in their position. Yeah. Really looking forward to our next nil nil draw.

Cant wait for the next in the series. He'll be singling Coleman out next for spending too much time in the oppositions box rather than man marking his winger.

It's just a pointless article putting a downer on one of our major major plus points this season. Utterly pointless.

He's been great.

He is so quick that he can afford to be out of position every now and again. If he happens to be "out of position" it tends to be because he is trying to support our attacking players as well as press. If anything its Koeman having some cojones and giving him the green light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back