If we were going to put up a 2nd statue at GP - which would you choose and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair I don't think we've ever had another player get close to Dixie's status. And I'd feel having another statue would imply some kind of parity, when clearly Dean is peerless. Maybe I'm being irrational, though.

I would put it out there that Southall is a match for Dean in his position. The best keeper in the world for many a number of years, and pretty much won us the cup final in 95 at 40+ years of age.

To be fair I don't think we've ever had another player get close to Dixie's status. And I'd feel having another statue would imply some kind of parity, when clearly Dean is peerless. Maybe I'm being irrational, though.

THIS. no one in english football comes close to william ralph, never mind just everton

I would put it out there that Southall is a match for Dean in his position. The best keeper in the world for many a number of years, and pretty much won us the cup final in 95 at 40+ years of age.

Actually I definitely take back what I said. Nev is definitely worthy of a statue. I've seen all the old videos (plus I saw him up close in one of those indoor exhibition things -- which the Everton team won, and he made some age/weight-defying saves!), and he was so underrated. If he'd have been Brazilian or Italian or from any big footballing nation, he'd have got a lot more recognition. As it stands he was definitely the finest keeper we've ever had. By some margin.

But outfield players-wise, I do believe Dean is a cut above anything else we've ever had. Which is not an insult to the other Everton giants, it's just indicative of how phenomenal Dean was.

I would be biased if i said Alan Ball as he was my hero but if ever a player deserves a stautue then it would have to be Big Nev

I only started following Everton this year. I'm from Buffalo New York, and after watching the World Cup and seeing the ties that Howard and Donovan had to the EPL, I chose Everton because of those player's linkage to Everton and the similarities between my local US football and hockey teams in club management.

With that said, and after reading up on some of Everton's past heroes - I would choose Southall.

Didn't he have some sort of meeting with the goalpost at halftime and request all sorts of transfers before finally winning his first cup?

If anyone personifies Evertonian persistance, wouldn't it be Neville?

Just one observation from a "Blue Newb".

Welcome to GOT, Blue..
Remember, you didn't choose Everton.. Everton chose you..
You will like it here..

On Topic.. The Holy Trinity..

I only started following Everton this year. I'm from Buffalo New York, and after watching the World Cup and seeing the ties that Howard and Donovan had to the EPL, I chose Everton because of those player's linkage to Everton and the similarities between my local US football and hockey teams in club management.

With that said, and after reading up on some of Everton's past heroes - I would choose Southall.

Didn't he have some sort of meeting with the goalpost at halftime and request all sorts of transfers before finally winning his first cup?

If anyone personifies Evertonian persistance, wouldn't it be Neville?

Just one observation from a "Blue Newb".

Welcome mate, were glad you found us.

Yeah I think LCAB's sermon has made me rethink my policy.

We should build statues for Bally AND Nev. Although they should be a bit smaller than Dixie's, out of respect :p

He was 36, born sept 1958 but good call.
For me Waggy would have to be close to the top of the list too :)
And Hickson for his continued service to the club, Brian Labone too - blue blood!

Status
Not open for further replies.