Is Goodison no longer a fortress?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelEFC96

Player Valuation: £10m
Teams used to hate coming to Goodison, I always used to go to home games thinking we won't get beat today, we were solid and very rarely lost. Not just under Moyes but in Martinez' first season we were very hard to beat at home.

Now I have less confidence at home and strangely I'm more confident going into away games, teams are coming to Goodison now with more confidence and have a hell of a lot more positivity than maybe three years ago.

Is it the atmosphere? Is it the tactics? Is it the manager?

I just want us to make it a fortress again.

Thought the crowd were great today tbh. Feel like that makes a place more,likely to be a fortress. Got beat by a better side today, not sure any reputation for GP being a hard place would have made that much of a difference.

Where's the Fortress Sports Fund Money, Bill?

When you have Stoke (twice) and Sunderland turning you over at home in recent times you can safely say.....ITS NOT A FORTRESS

I think it's one to discuss, regardless of last season, Watford very nearly turned us over.

But they didn't. We also beat Southampton 3-0 away which is a total freak result based on previous years. You can't judge our entire home form on two matches of a season.

2013-14 we had a superb home record where we won 13 and only lost 3. Last season was poor both home and away so we can't say that our home form was impacted in particular.

Teams used to hate coming to Goodison, I always used to go to home games thinking we won't get beat today, we were solid and very rarely lost. Not just under Moyes but in Martinez' first season we were very hard to beat at home.

Now I have less confidence at home and strangely I'm more confident going into away games, teams are coming to Goodison now with more confidence and have a hell of a lot more positivity than maybe three years ago.

Is it the atmosphere? Is it the tactics? Is it the manager?

I just want us to make it a fortress again.
Nothing to do with Gooodison,outsmart,outfight,outplay the opponent and you'll win games,home or away...........I think that's the secret

Negative tactics against teams who will come to frustrate us. Obviously that wasn't the case today but in games like Watford etc you don't need two holding midfielders. It just makes the job so much easier for the opposition.

This is evidently knee jerk.

However, one thing i will say is that under Moyes, teams would fear coming here, however, under Martinez, it's a different scenario. Whilst i'm happy we've moved on from Moyes, at least he never played centre halves at left back, and forwards on the wing and left his best players on the bench.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Kept the same team, changed the system. City are excellent, and he just got it all wrong today.

In terms of being more confident of going away from home and winning, it's because every single fan is in the same mindset. Bad atmosphere, and a less than impressive style of play makes it more of a chore going to the match, as opposed to going to support the team.

Last season was a right off, I still think we'll be strong, but today was pathetic.

Last edited:
Quick look at the number of home wins ratio under bobby tells you all you need to know in this thred
Could you share with the rest of us? I suspect it's not that different than it was under Moyes. We would always have the odd one game where someone who shouldn't beat us turned us over at Goodison, even under Moyes.

edit:
2008/09 - beat by Blackburn at Goodison on opening day, and lost 0-3 against Portsmouth in our next home game
2009/10 - we lost 6-1 to Arsenal at home on the opening day, had a stretch of 8 home games without a win
2010/11 - We lost to Newcastle, Reading, and West Brom at home, though we did manage to beat City, Chelsea, and Liverpool at Goodison
2011/12- Lost against QPR on the opening day, also lost to Stoke

Goodison is still a place teams don't like to play, the odd poor result doesn't change that.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.