Is this the greatest Everton XI ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stopped reading when I saw Coleman and Baines as full backs. As good as I think they were, they just weren't in the same class as Wilson and Wright.
It's all opinions isn't it. I only started watching in the mid 90s but my dad has been a regular at Goodison since the 50s and he reckons it's a coin toss between Baines and Wilson as to who would be better - two different styles and different strengths and weaknesses. He also thinks VDH wouldn't be in the top 5 or 6 left backs in that time and only ever gets picked for these things because people get blinded by trophies instead of looking at individual performance. There's no right or wrong with these things.

It's all opinions isn't it. I only started watching in the mid 90s but my dad has been a regular at Goodison since the 50s and he reckons it's a coin toss between Baines and Wilson as to who would be better - two different styles and different strengths and weaknesses. He also thinks VDH wouldn't be in the top 5 or 6 left backs in that time and only ever gets picked for these things because people get blinded by trophies instead of looking at individual performance. There's no right or wrong with these things.

My arl fella says the same - says Baines and Wilson are out on their own, but he wouldn't like to choose, whereas VDH was great for the team we had and his aggression etc made us better, but as a player he doesn't come close to the other two.

Personally I can't really offer an opinion here as only been watching since 89ish

If everyone took what the generation before them said as gospel, then the best Everton team would be the 1890/91 title winners.

I like that Dario...I particularly like the fact that you realise that Everton did have some great players pre-60s, other than Dixie.

Oops, it's disappeared. :D

no joke...as Lineker was a single-season player, i don't feel he gets a crack. Rom was inarguably our best goalscorer since Latchford...them two are about on par, but I just about prefer Rom (recency bias, sure...but also his variety of goals while here). Bob is regarded as one of our all-time greatest strikers, behind only Dixie.

A Greatest XI also has to take a sense of balance into account. Rock-solid back 4 with a hint of attacking menace from the fullbacks. Two midfield anchors (one of whom can attack when required) and two skillful wingers. Two strikers, one just behind the other.

I'd go:

--------------------------- Nev ---------------------------
Stevens -- Ratcliffe - Labone ----- Baines

----------------- Reid ------------- Ball ---------------
Kanchelskis ----------------------------- Sheedy

----------------------  Rooney -----------------------------
-------------------------------- Dixie --------------------

What about yous?
A fair attempt tbh.
I'm not sure about Lukaku though...I feel they might cancel each other out by getting in Dean's way and he does tend to sulk if he's not the main man...sorry Rom, but there's nobody Main-er than Dean.

So, due to his adaptability, around play, No 10-esque footballing brain - not to mention outstanding goalscoring record, Rooney gets my nod.

Edit; It does my head in to leave out, TG, Parker, Wilson, Collins, Kendall, Kay, Gabriel, Young, Vernon and Morrissey...there's a decent team in there somewhere too

Last edited:
….nah & Ray Wilson was a truly world class left back. VDH before Baines in the pecking order.

All terrific LBs.
I always preferred John Bailey when it came to playing football. Admittedly Psycho Pat was more, um, effective in the games where things got tasty.

I see the merit in having Rooney if we're picking players at their peak at different clubs. But he wasn't good enough for a long enough period playing for us.

Eto was world class at one point too.

In my lifetime
Southall
Coleman
Watson
Jags
Baines

Ried
Cahill
Arteta

Kanchelskis,
Lukaku
Sheedy

I get the Rooney shouts and in his prime he was naturally better than anyone I've seen in a blue shirt - at his peak he was at the very top with the likes of Messi and Ronaldo - he just couldn't stay there... but as someone has already said we never had him in his prime. Rooney at 16 would still 100% be on my bench though and Rom was a goal machine so he's a no brainer and as much as I loved Pienaar, Sheedy's left peg was the best in the business.

My lifetime (Born 92')

Southall

Coleman
Jagielka
Lescott
Baines

Arteta
Barry
Cahill

Kanchelskis
Lukaku
Rooney

GK & FBs pick themselves
Jagielka & Lescott had the best pairing i've seen, aswell as having that left foot, right foot combination, Lescott carried a goal threat too - think he's quite underrated when some of the best PL CB's are talked about
Midfield - Could make a case for fellaini and I loved pienaar who was the most intelligent player I've seen for us, but gone for arteta, cahill & barry
Forwards- Lukaku obvious choice, Kanchelskis & Rooney for raw talent - 3 goalscorers.

Did you see Wilson play Stevie? In his prime he was the best fullback I've seen, he was t the usual full back of that era, he really bombed forward and was a very good crosser of the ball.
Yes, i've seen enough to have a good opinion of him Roy. He does go forward, for a full back of his day anyway, but hardly to the extent of say Krol, Suurbier or Brietner did just a few years later.

Bainesy also took free kicks, not just to shoot centrally, but to cross from an attacking position, Wilson hardly ever does on what I've seen (and i'm not talking the 'free kick from inside own half whacked up to Royle' type either).

Since I started watching as a kid:

Nev (Greatest)

Coleman (Still can't believe how he has turned out, cheap as chips now a club legend)
Jagielka (Loved him, could have played anywhere in Europe for a few years)
Watson (A beautiful memory)
Baines (World class for a fair few seasons)

Arteta (Also world class, made up to see him doing well at Arsenal, loved him)
Barry (Wish we had him longer, brilliant footballer)
Cahill (If you need a goal, he would pop up, warrior)

Kanchelskis (In full flight? Phwoar)
Ferguson (Unplayable at his best)
Rooney (I've never seen anything like him when he burst into the side)

It will probably be different if you asked me next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.