2023/24 James Garner

Not been at his best lately, mind you he is not alone on that front.

Yeah he's been severely out of form last 6-8 games I reckon. Understandable as it's his first full season and we are heavily relying on him as we have no alternatives.

Everything he's doing currently is just safe and passing the buck to others. Need him to get back to looking for a forward pass, intercepting balls and generally more confident.

Yeah he's been severely out of form last 6-8 games I reckon. Understandable as it's his first full season and we are heavily relying on him as we have no alternatives.

Everything he's doing currently is just safe and passing the buck to others. Need him to get back to looking for a forward pass, intercepting balls and generally more confident.
I could be wrong in my interpretation but it seems like he has been instructed to play the ball more conservatively the last couple of games, he still has little flourishes of quality but seems inhibited lately whether through his own issues or other factors

I could be wrong in my interpretation but it seems like he has been instructed to play the ball more conservatively the last couple of games, he still has little flourishes of quality but seems inhibited lately whether through his own issues or other factors

I think Michael Ball made a good point yesterday and said if your an Everton midfielder, you should be kicking off on Pickford and Tarkowski because they're basically doing your job for you and saying you aren't good enough to do simple passes.

Now, if he's under instructions that would make sense. I believe they are because it's very rare Garner or Gueye go looking for that first pass. Onana does but then just passes it straight back to where it came from (the good old Steve Naismith pass!)

I think Michael Ball made a good point yesterday and said if your an Everton midfielder, you should be kicking off on Pickford and Tarkowski because they're basically doing your job for you and saying you aren't good enough to do simple passes.

Now, if he's under instructions that would make sense. I believe they are because it's very rare Garner or Gueye go looking for that first pass. Onana does but then just passes it straight back to where it came from (the good old Steve Naismith pass!)
That's the odd thing for me too is garner is one of the few players who is technically sound in regards to passing , he shouldn't be recycling the ball to puckford or the defense

If we sold right now we would not get that. Which is why we will not sell now.

He's in his first year in the PL. He started well and has tailed off. He needs to revert back to his play earlier in the year, Onana will help with that.

Writing him off or calling him Tom Davies is idiotic.

There's a section of this fanbase who seem to hate any decent player who comes in and shows a bit of class and say not good enough for us, while lauding donkeys like beto, niasse and that straq fella

Hoofball creates more chances than Garner.
Rarely tries a decisive pass.
For all of Onana's fault, he tries to play forward, to see runs and make passes.
Garner at the moment does not.
Jarrad Bowen and JWP create more and they play with dross the level of our players.

Not being funny but most of westham attackers and midfield get into our team.