2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Allan only just back in training, i think we go with 2 banks of 4 sat deep:

Olsen
Holgate Keane Mina Godfrey
Richarlison Doucoure Davies Digne
James
DCL
Then 4231 in attack...
James didn't play but if I'm not mistaken this is pretty much exactly what we did in the League Cup and they had their way with us. For me we need to have three in midfield. So I'd go James on the right drifting in.

Me and my son were just having a chat and I was saying "would you bring him back for utd or not" He looked at me with disgust and said "of course you play him, he's our best player and can turn a match with one piece of skill".

He's correct of course so where do we play him tomorrow? I still think he's better coming off from the right myself as he definitely doesn't seem to come as deep as when he has a central free role.

Can Holgate be strong enough to deal with Utd attacks down the left as they will probably double up on him if Rodriguez plays?

You need your best players on the pitch and this is true of Rodriguez though I wouldn't be surprised if Ancelotti picks the same side that beat Leeds.

I hope Allan is fit but I wouldn't want him thrown straight in either if there's any doubt whatsoever he can't last the full match.

In theory we may have a bench that looks like

Pickford
Coleman
Keane
Davies
Delph
Allan ( or Gomes )
Rodriguez ( or Iwobi )
Bernard
King ( or DCL)

It starts to look a lot healthier once all of our players are back along with the arrival of King ( who btw will score his 1st of 13 goals tomorrow )

I think play him centrally - because if Holgate plays RB, he won't link up as well with James on the right, they'll be quite far apart. Secondly in the first league game, both games came from the RHS, so I'd put two fairly defensive players on the right like Iwobi and Holgate together.

Excited to see him after a rest.

United less likely to take the approach of stamping on him every 5 minutes.

If they do, for goodness' sake, get after the referee. Especially if it's Fernandes.

Its not taking shots at him. The stats suggest we do better without him because when he plays if he's not actually making things happen he's a passenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back