2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he has in private? I genuinely get the frustration, but what Carlo has said is right. All there is to do right now for James is to focus on being as fit as he can for his country. If he can't do that, then he shouldn't play. Maybe we'll hear Carlo expand on that. And then, regardless of what happens with the Copa, his focus after that will be to be fit for next season.
Perhaps he has said that in private but his public comments should also be more stern. I have followed Ancelotti for years and some times he is just too nice and permissive with his players. Even today's statement was too favorable towards James and his Copa aspirations.

"James Rodríguez is not available. He did not recover from the calf problem. He will be concentrating on preparing for the America's Cup with the national team, I hope to have him healthy next season"

The reality is that playing for Colombia is not going to help James getting healthier but instead it is a risk and he could get injured even more, as we all know that South American football can be quite rough. I know James has a great desire to win a trophy with Colombia so he is going to do everything possible to play but in my opinion he putting Colombia over Club it is shameful. He really needs to give his best to both!

Okay mate, no worries.

If we get Europe, we don't have to play our best team against FC Dynamo Latvian Farmers, or we shouldn't be, should we?

We're a club that wants to try and break into the big time and to do that we need good players. James is a very good player. But that shouldn't mean we are so reliant on him. That's where our issue is and that's what needs to change.

It's not like we have to play one way with James. He can fit into nearly any way of playing, as long as there is a balance to the rest of the side. We've seen it this season that we clearly don't have that balance so it makes it even more of an issue when James isn't fit, because we're missing the fulcrum. But the point is we have to bring is younger, fitter and quicker players to turn us into a team that has a few fulcrums, a few styles of play, and then you have that sprinkling of world class quality - which James has - to add on top of that.

There shouldn't be one player that makes any good team tick.

Look at City - KDB was out for two months and the others stepped up. That's what we need. I know we won't have it to City's level, but the basic principle is there, and that's how you build a squad.
I would disagree with the Europe comment. In the past couple of years we tied with a team from cyprus, got pummeled by atalanta, Lyon did the double over us, and of course the dynamo latvian farmers from kyev debacle. I strongly disagree more so because the squad lacks European football as a whole. If you look at the squad how many combined Champions League apps are there?

I do agree that we need to add quality players which will in turn make the team collectively better but i just dont see how we can start a project with a 30 year old injury prone player, i just dont see it but i hope i can be proven wrong.

You could argue that he's a luxury Everton can't afford to carry, but it's really just another symptom of the rank mismanagement that continues to plague us.

A club that has the resources to pay for Iwobi (£27m), Bernard (120k a week), King (whatever he cost/earns) and Bolasie (£27m, not even in the squad) should be able to use a talent like Rodriguez as and when. It shouldn't be a case of having to use a right-back out of position whenever a player who we knew was hardly ever fit turns out to be unfit.

Whether he is saving himself for the Copa or not doesn't really concern me. I am concerned that he only seems to be able to play once every four or five matches. I think the smart move is to not extend the deal with him and use his wages to bring in a young right side winger with pace. I know James is quality, but he's just so unreliable.

How much time do we realistically have to add players to suit to James style? Hell be 30 in two months and with his injury record everything point to him having 2-3 competitive years left. We got a taste of what could happen when you over rely on one player. He left us stranded with 5 pl games to go in our best chance at Europe.
He'll play a few games next year to keep himself available for the world cup then retire. He's going nowhere.

I don't think it was a coincidence that Carlo immediately follows up by saying Coleman is injured but he'll be there to support the team as a captain.

Hamez isn't arsed enough even to turn up and watch his teammates by the sounds of it.

Have to agree. He could have shown up for the last home to at least meet the fans in the ground but chose not to.

I trust Carlo and I like James and wished he could have played more this season but when one week you’re criticising the team for lack of effort or desire then the next you’re allowing another to have an early holiday so he can focus on his international games it’s a joke and won’t do anything for the other lads in the dressing room. It’s like your boss allowing your co workers to get off work early and leaving you to clean up their mess for the day. Pee take tbh.

Perhaps he has said that in private but his public comments should also be more stern. I have followed Ancelotti for years and some times he is just too nice and permissive with his players. Even today's statement was too favorable towards James and his Copa aspirations.

"James Rodríguez is not available. He did not recover from the calf problem. He will be concentrating on preparing for the America's Cup with the national team, I hope to have him healthy next season"

The reality is that playing for Colombia is not going to help James getting healthier but instead it is a risk and he could get injured even more, as we all know that South American football can be quite rough. I know James has a great desire to win a trophy with Colombia so he is going to do everything possible to play but in my opinion he putting Colombia over Club it is shameful. He really needs to give his best to both!

It shows the trust he has in his players. Because if the players take the trust for granted, he'll let them know. You don't get to where Ancelotti is by having people walk all over you. That's why he's always been the player's coach, because he treats his players with respect.

If I was a manager, I would also put trust in James as well that he knows his body best. You go play for your country for the duty and honour and the history, and you play for your club for a living.

I have to say James injuries this year was a little surprising, I guess I was more hopeful that he'd be healthy for at least 30 games. Seems like it was more like 20, and some he was basically unfit for but played anyway. I still don't get the calls for him to go, completely don't agree, what the club should do is at least plan for him to play 20 games a season, and bring in a similar player in his position, an understudy perhaps that could play the other 20 games.

So you understand that management are bending over backwards to accommodate him.
What kind of message does that send out to the squad?
It’s Everton FC, not James Rodriguez FC.
If he’s fit, he should be in the squad this weekend, not resting up so he’s fit for the summer.

If management are bending over backwards to accommodate him, then that's on the management.

He isn't fit, clearly.

But no manager in world football is going to insist their player cannot play in a major tournament. We'd all like it to be the case - I really would - but it's not going to happen.

OGS didn't rule Martial out of the Euros - Deschamps did. Even Klopp didn't with VVD until it was absolutely clear he wouldn't be returning this season.

With serious injuries it's different. But niggly ones, they're not going to do it.

And surely, while the frustration is with James, clearly the only person who can say what we're wanting him to say here is Carlo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.