Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, if Lampard really wants him and thinks he gives us what we need then it's a good signing.

Personally I don't really go in for all this 'clearly comes in and makes us a million times better' stuff that people have decided to peddle because on paper it's just blatantly untrue. On grass it might be different though, so i'm happy enough with it. I would really like other signings to be of a different profile though, if we follow this up with Winks etc I'll start to worry.
It seems clear based on the activity in the last two windows and this one so far that we have little money to spend, so loans and free transfers is all we can hope for until we sell.

It seems clear based on the activity in the last two windows and this one so far that we have little money to spend, so loans and free transfers is all we can hope for until we sell.
So we should sell. There's no point holding on to our assets and surrounding them with dross, if we really have no money we should cash in and reinvest it otherwise we'll be stuck in this cycle forever.

My hope is he stays fit and can be a ever-present at CB bringing some consistency in a position were we were losing players left, right and centre last season. He a solid, experience premier league defender and he certainly wasn't the reason Burnley went down. He may not elevate the team to top 6 contenders but he'll make our defence better (not difficult).

So we should sell. There's no point holding on to our assets and surrounding them with dross, if we really have no money we should cash in and reinvest it otherwise we'll be stuck in this cycle forever.
exactly! that's why we have no money to spend. We spend a fortune on dross and let them run down their contracts or go for pennies. No football club outside the top 3/4 can operate like that.

True but we need to get the maximum for all our players which means waiting until further in the window. I don't think it changes until the stadium is complete and our revenues hopefully increase.

I don't think Tarkowiski is dross, average and unispired but I don't think we can turn our noses up at his type of defender. I agree and have said for ages we need to sell more often and try and upgrade the squad like we did with Digne in January.

True but we need to get the maximum for all our players which means waiting until further in the window. I don't think it changes until the stadium is complete and our revenues hopefully increase.

I don't think Tarkowiski is dross, average and unispired but I don't think we can turn our noses up at his type of defender. I agree and have said for ages we need to sell more often and try and upgrade the squad like we did with Digne in January.
We also need to start churning out more kids from the academy. If kids aren't going to make it, sell them. Move them on and make some money. Simms is a perfect example, now he may be brilliant (the kids a natural goalscorer) but he may never make it at this level and if that's the assumption - move him on now whilst his stock is high. If we can sell 3-4 kids a season and make 10-15million it all helps.

Yeah to be fair dross is harsh on the type of player i mean. I'm happy enough with Tarkowski but we just can't afford to make signing players like that a regular thing. I'm right behind Lampard, more so than any manager since Moyes, but if his first 3 permanent signings ended up being Alli, Tarkowski and Winks, there would be all sorts of alarm bells going off for me. Hopefully Tarkowski is just a happy coincidence where someone he really rated anyway happened to be available on a free, and our other signings will be a different profile.

We need to try to get much better over the medium to long term. Just signing players who marginally improve us in the short term but don’t get us to where we want to be and won’t generate the funds for us to reinvest in players who will is not a good strategy. I feel like everyone was on board with that idea until the season ended and suddenly the players who’d let us down weren’t that bad after all and signing bog standard PL journeymen became a decent plan.

I don’t know who has said that but I’d certainly not agree with it, I’ve called for them all to be on the scrap heap this summer

We’ve got a lot of young defenders in Godfrey Holgate Branthwaite, but all three look like they need a defensive leader next to them. I don’t think we could have justified spending big money on a player in his prime or older (we couldn’t attract the good ones, and the ones we could attract why would we pay big money) so we’d be left looking at buying a young prospect for big money who we’d be banking on leading the defence. Potentially we could have done this but would leave a back line with Patterson Mykolenko and Godfrey extremely young and inexperienced.

I get where you are coming from but I’m hoping this is more of a Jonny Evans at Leicester move rather than Ashley Williams. If it helps us free up funds for another position (e.g defensive midfielder) then it might look like a decent move on the overall chessboard. Would be encouraging to see Keane moved on now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.