Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bar norwich also the lowest scorers in the league which could suggest their style of play is a very compact formation that protects the defenders. We went there with michael keane for the same reason. And we've found out that without the midfield camped in front he isnt that good.
Im just wary we could be making the exact same mistake again.
Fully agree mate. You can't judge a defender for a style you've never seen them play, you can have a guess based on their abilities but all this definitive talk was boring me so I pulled up a positive stat

Tbf even @Zatara is in favour of this signing - could have knocked me down with a feather when I read it ;)

In an ideal world I'd be looking instead at Nathan Collins who has potential to develop into a very good CB in 2-3 times but it's not an ideal world with the circumstances this summer so needs must.

Pickford
Gordon
Richarlison
DCL
Mykolenko
Patterson
Godfrey

All possibly in our starting 11 next season.

They aint old sir !

Oh if there was a chance Id take Colwill tbh, he is a big old unit and very mobile and miles better than of our current lot already. We won't get him though, if Chelsea don't keep him there are others who can offer more than we can.

A 29 year old captain on a free transfer coming from one of the leagues best defences, with ours having the worst. Not only that but Burnleys mentality has been of a 'fighting spirit' defensively with Tarkowski at the heart of it.

Moyes bid £20mil and £30mil in summer 2020. He asked the board to go closer to West Hams £50mil valuation and went back with another £20mil offer last summer when Tarkowski had a year left....Lampard also wanted him at Chelsea.

4 year contract and anything between £90-120k a week and weve done a good deal.

I'd probably see Godfrey + Tarkowski as the main starters. I'd try and bring in Colwill either on a permanent or a loan with a buy option + keep Branthwaite and have Mina as the wild card used sparingly.

Sell Holgate and Keane.

As @knowing your history mentions, Nathan Collins at Burnley looks like the real deal. But they would probably ask £20-30mil for him while their captain is free.

The real beauty about this Tarkowski deal isnt just the short term solidity but that it gives us a bridge for 2-3 seasons until Branthwaite is ready. Then Tarkowski is sold for a low fee to compensate for his wages or hes a rotation/backup.

If we sold Holgate + Keane then thats £20mil+ and £125k+ a week to cover Tarkowski's contract.

A sensible deal all round with the excitement stemming from the Colwill links and any whiff of a permanent deal or option there.

Last edited:
Tarkowski is an excellent performer in aerial duels (in the 99th percentile for Aerial Wins and 91st percentile for Aerial Win %), ground duels (72nd percentile for Tackle / Dribbled Past %*), and defending his box (88th percentile for Blocks / Shot and 83rd percentile for Clearances). *Tackle / Dribbled Past %: Percentage of time a player makes a tackle when going into a duel vs getting dribbled past.

Tarkowski defends well but my fear is Burnley usually set up a low block and defends as a team. I think he is better than most of our CBs, although you'll never know how he would perform under a different environment. But he is a captain and I hope he could organise and communicates well with the backline - something that is clearing lacking in our back 4.

If Lampard is trying to set the team up in a more expansive style, I don't think he is the right signing. It sounds like a desperate signing because our defence are in shambles and in need of new CBs and we are under "sanctions" (sort of, I think the club needs to free up wages and sell players to get players in, via PL approval)

We could probably get Shane Duffy and it would overall cost less and he has the bonus of offering a real threat on set pieces

Also has premier league experience and still has an affinity for the club

Ah Mikey, please tell me this is satire. You’re poking fun at yourself here. Surely.

Jagielka, Lescott to name just two
we are reportedly offering him £120k a week! 29 years old and still from a relegation team, thats why we are in the position we are in, for too many years we have tried the quick fix and guess what, it doesn't work.

as for the two you name we had been after Jagielka for a couple of years and Lescott downed tools to go to a bigger club!!!

Robertson and Maguire both went down with Hull. The whole dont sign players from a relgated team doesnt work. One is one of hte best LB's in world football right now and the other, while having a poor season has proven to be a prem player comfortably.

Every time a player is looked at a relegated team has to be on a case by case basis. Look at our house.

Richarlison - wonderful.
Doucoure - meh for me.

If Tarkowski isn't your cup of tea, that's fair, just base it of him individually and not what his team achieved.

Same goes for a player on the up higher in the table. Is he the driving force or is he being carried a bit?

ALWAYS go case by case rather than the blanket "hes been relegated with X so cant be any good"
We chose Keane over Tarkowski and how did that end out?

we are reportedly offering him £120k a week! 29 years old and still from a relegation team, thats why we are in the position we are in, for too many years we have tried the quick fix and guess what, it doesn't work.

as for the two you name we had been after Jagielka for a couple of years and Lescott downed tools to go to a bigger club!!!

Figure from the most reliable of the sources about our interest has it at 90k pw mate (telegraph), which for a player who is on a free, and quite highly rated in a lot of circles, is I'd say the going rate .
If he had one year left it's the same as a 5-6m fee and 55k pw which few would bat an eye at

Yeh with signing like this we will, we may as well have just got relegated this season

Think lampard prob sees him as a body on the line defender in the john terry mould
Pretty sure we’ve got to work hard on reducing the wage bill for FFP. Not sure how £90,000 a week will help with that if that is what the suggested earnings will be.
depends on who we shift.
90k a week is £5m a year. Over 5 year is 25m.
We moan about his wages and age but we would not get a better CB for less then £25 transfer fee and then wages similar on top.
It’s good business

Status
Not open for further replies.