Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that free transfers aren't entirely free because the agents use it in negotiation but I still can't see us offering him 90-120k per week
It's possible depending on how desperate we are and that Lampard seemingly wanted him at Chelsea (which I suppose is a good enough reason to sign him).

You can loosely use stats to go and look at a player. Anybody basing their opinion on stats is on a hiding to nothing, especially using some of the stats that mean absolutely nothing.
The people making these decisions will have an idea of what matters and what doesn't I feel.

The best process right now is probably using the data to filter players out and scouting the remaining ones. The problem is doing this effectively also requires knowing what is important for the role you're trying to fill. That in turn requires having a set way of playing and set roles in that team. So you've got to start with a plan. Everton haven't gotten there yet.

I think the issue becomes that you set a precedent for what average players can expect to earn here.

Nobody who considers themselves as good or better than him is going to settle for anything less than what he's earning, and agents know what everyone is earning.

You could be right about him being a decent player, though.
Understand what you are saying. But we have to just take a chance on a player at times. See how it works out. I can name say about 20 players that Everton have brought in , in the last 5 years ,( we all can ) , who have been mainly useless , and have earned ( small fortunes ) far to much.
But every now and again we bring in players who are worth every penny. And add to their value. It's all swings and roundabouts.
But we do need to stop bringing in duds. And my point today is that imo Tarwokski will improve us. Imo he will tighten our defence. I could be totally wrong. Let's see.
And our hopefully better flair players do the business at the other end of the pitch.
Think that i'd rather see Tarwokski and young Patterson play for us next season . Rather that Keane and Coleman. Keane on the bench though.
And as for FFP. The damage is done. Years of mismanagement has seen to that. Surely now if Tarwokski is brought in , someone ( hopefully from the dross ) is released. Balance the books..... Up The Toffees.....

Last edited:

After this season we will struggle to attract many decent players. We lost a chance when FFP has stunted our spending and now we finish basically at the bottom. Damage has been done and now we will have to find some other way of climbing the table and being an attractive proposition to players that are half decent.
IMO Tarkowski would be our second best CB if we get him but then our best when Mina has to go. The facts hit us in the face this season that most PL players would be good enough to get in our team. Give me Brightons midfield, Wolves defence and I would feel much better. All but one or two of our players should be up for grabs

After this season we will struggle to attract many decent players. We lost a chance when FFP has stunted our spending and now we finish basically at the bottom. Damage has been done and now we will have to find some other way of climbing the table and being an attractive proposition to players that are half decent.
IMO Tarkowski would be our second best CB if we get him but then our best when Mina has to go. The facts hit us in the face this season that most PL players would be good enough to get in our team. Give me Brightons midfield, Wolves defence and I would feel much better. All but one or two of our players should be up for grabs

We won't struggle to attract decent players, we will struggle to attract high profile players.

Signing high profile players has hardly been a resounding success for us anyway.

It's not a top wage though. Not even half of one.

In comparison to the club size it is.

West Ham have 2 players on £100k+ a week (one is leaving).

Leicester have 3...Schmichael, Vardy, Maddison. Possibly Tilemans depending on where you get your info. 3-4 100% main-stay players, some with huge value still next to them. Won a premier league, played champions league, fa cup winners.

Wolves have one in Moutinho.

Just a few examples.

We're bottom of the pile and have zero money. So spend wisely

As far as I'm aware it amounts to a big pay rise for him though, which seems odd
Free transfer mate.

As has been pointed out, he was a 30million pound player not long ago.

100k a week is 5m a year, take Cenk Tosun, 27m fee and another 20m in wages.

Hes a proven Premier League player, with a very good injury record, we all know what happens when he signs, but.........

Overall its a cheap deal, it really depends on how many years he wants.

The danger is, IF he gets injury prone, you will struggle to ship him out on those wages, I dont think his talent is in doubt and when I say talent, im not putting him in a wurld klass bracket, hes a fairly solid CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back