2023/24 James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally love these rather old-school no-nonsense defender. These are quite rare to see nowadays. Strong in the air in both boxes, fearless in blocking the ball, never compromises at tackling and ball recoveries, rather clears the ball than unneccessarily risk to force short passes or go into 1vs1 as last defender.

Also decent at long ball passing, short passing and pace are maybe the only flaws.

Didnt do Italy any harm with Chiellini and Bonucci.

Yup, nothing wrong with the old-school approach. You know things have gotten out of hand when even the goalkeepers are being picked because of their "feet" these days. That Raya at Arsenal is a bomb scare - good with his feet, apparently.

Cant believe Arteta signed him :o

I know that footballing abilities are very important for GK and defenders in the modern game.

You see that an Man United, De Gea one of the best GK in the world on the line, but by far not as good on the ball as Onana. Well Onana is doing well after a difficult start.

Pickford isn't Neuer on the ball, Tarkowski isn't Stones.

But both are among the best in the league when it comes to their main jobs, defending and shot stopping.

I think Onana is dodgy.

I recently saw that wonder goal Son scored for Spurs vs Burnley about 5 years ago where he ran from the edge of his own box and spotted that he ran past both Tarkowski (and McNeil) lol

But that is a freak goal that very few players in the World can score. I assume part of the fear in selecting Tarkowski for England is him getting exposed like that against a top Nation, but it's not like a Harry Maguire would fare any better in that scenario.

Also, if the England side is as amazing as it's made out to be then the likes of Declan Rice should be protecting the centre backs from the World's best getting in that position, leaving the likes of Tarkowski to defend how he has for Everton all season. With Branthwaite along side him, there would be pace in the centre of defence anyway to make up for Tarkowski's lack of it, and he is so good with all the other attributes you mentioned.

I think Tarkowski hasnt been picked for ages due to his on ball ability.

IMG_9162.webp

Saw on twitter/x the stats for all the English centre backs in the PL.

Tarkowski tops most of them and i sort of understand the way Southgate is, he possibly wouldn't think Tarkowski suits England (but i think Zat said Chiellini & Bonucci are similar style), but there isn't a single English centre back that has been better than Tarkowski this season and i count Branthwaite in that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back