Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to get rid of Galloway + Pennington + Browning +Williams + Mori + Jags

Leaves us with Holgate + Keane. I wouldn't go with 3 at the back, only two but we still need 2 more with pace/positioning to compete.

I'm not a big fan of Maguire but Mawson looks solid and can play Left or Right sided centre back so ideal.

Why?

Could get rid of more than 19 players and most of them we wouldn't even realise had gone...

Stekelenburg
Robles contract expiry
Garbutt
Galloway
Pennington
Martina
Baines
Jagielka
Williams
Mori
Browning
Schneiderlin
Bolasie
McCarthy
Klaassen
Mirallas
Lennon
Barkley
Besic
Sandro

and more...

We would need
1 Back up keeper
2 Centre backs
2 Left Backs
1 Centre midfielder
2 Forwards

Never going to be that much change though surely...so hopefully a lot are shipped out in Jan and we make at least 2 very good signings.

I don't mind it but we need to stick to a back 4 with the players we have.

No idea why we signed Williams...Sigurdsson looks good actually but I'm not sure hes what we needed...Bolasie is far worse though.

Mawson to me looks like being ideal to add to Keane and Holgate and rotate them all around.

...I think we would notice if they all left, we still need to have enough for 11 in the team plus substitutes.

Hi all it makes me chuckle that a new LB is mentioned all the time, yes perhaps in the summer we should start looking for Baines cover or replacement, but the whole problem is our left sided midfield player doesn't help the LB defensively enough for the LB to surge on, on the right it's better when Lennon is playing as he tracks back and can defend, if a pienaar type player was still here, no one would be worried about a new LB, we could buy the best LB in the world but the problem of the attacking would still be there. A striker is a must and a decent LM who can attack and defend would be nice.
That is literally the complete opposite of what is happening.

Think the biggest issue we have (or had) is Williams and Martina. There was a point I believed we'd be better starting a goal down than playing them two together. They have improved under SA but really I think they scream below average as players.
Of course it is. The whole left side had to cover for Martina and we need at least one DCM and the other CB playing deep to cover for Williams.

75m for one good season and he’s looked half the player since coming back from that bad injury. Crikey, we will take what we paid for Klassen back and sell Sandro for 15M

Price is irrelevant when he's considered one of the best defenders in the league. If we had an offer accepted we'd be loving life regardless of the fee.

Hopefully he flops. Imagine choosing that lot over Man City lol

Price is irrelevant when he's considered one of the best defenders in the league. If we had an offer accepted we'd be loving life regardless of the fee.

He’s been far from one of the best defenders in the league this year, Keane was one of the best defenders in the league when we bought him for 25M also.

He’s been far from one of the best defenders in the league this year, Keane was one of the best defenders in the league when we bought him for 25M also.

You can't judge him on this season tho because he hasn't wanted to be there. He has everything to be one of the best in the world, and he improves them regardless of price. I hate to say this bur they did good business this year and it pisses me off that we cant seem to do the bloody same.

75m for one good season and he’s looked half the player since coming back from that bad injury. Crikey, we will take what we paid for Klassen back and sell Sandro for 15M

Last year we were going to buy him for 40 million. Then he got injured for the rest of the season. So in the last 12 months. Hes been injured for 6 months, got fit, Caused murder at his club, refused to play for them, came back in to the side, played terribly, got dropped and now cant get into a terrible saints side.

And his price tag has doubled???!!! Football is blood mad

Last year we were going to buy him for 40 million. Then he got injured for the rest of the season. So in the last 12 months. Hes been injured for 6 months, got fit, Caused murder at his club, refused to play for them, came back in to the side, played terribly, got dropped and now cant get into a terrible saints side.

It makes the Lukaku deal look even more poor.

Think the biggest issue we have (or had) is Williams and Martina. There was a point I believed we'd be better starting a goal down than playing them two together. They have improved under SA but really I think they scream below average as players.

...I think we would notice if they all left, we still need to have enough for 11 in the team plus substitutes.

A lot of people are focusing on attackers but for me we need to sort out the defence (its far from fixed)...

Keep
GK -- Pickford / ???
LB -- ??? / ???
LCB -- Keane / ???
RCB -- Holgate / ???
RB -- Kenny / Coleman

Perhaps Feeney could be 4th choice next season...looked very good in Europa.

Sell
GK -- Robles (Contract) / Stekelenburg
LB -- Baines / Garbutt
LCB -- Mori / Galloway
RCB -- Williams / Jagielka / Pennington
RB -- Martina /Browning

Not one of these players should be in the squad next season bar Robles if he extends his contract.

It means we need
Backup Keeper - This is not expensive
Two Centre Backs - Allardyce's specialty
Two Left Backs - One expensive and one rotation

If Baines is adequate for one more season as backup + Feeney can step up to 4th choice we need three players to have a very good defence.

That's what I would be focusing on.

I think everyone would be amazed and ecstatic if we signed him. With him Keane and Holgate we'd have three very good defenders to rotate around and could have Feeney as 4th choice.

Instead I think as we need to sign several defenders and a backup keeper wed be better off spreading what cash we have around.

If we can sign some very good 'emerging' players this Jan and summer then at the end of next season hopefully we are in a position to add one or two stars to the group.

Keane's last two games have been very impressive. He has looked immense at the back..,im interested to see how he performs when we move to playing a higher line.

You can't judge him on this season tho because he hasn't wanted to be there. He has everything to be one of the best in the world, and he improves them regardless of price. I hate to say this bur they did good business this year and it pisses me off that we cant seem to do the bloody same.

This is true but it could be an injury issue this season and who knows how he will perform in an ultra attacking team.

When were we going to buy him for 40mil?

It makes the Lukaku deal look even more poor.

Keane's last two games have been very impressive. He has looked immense at the back..,im interested to see how he performs when we move to playing a higher line.
I’m not convinced, against Chelsea he was sloppy at times and some awful pundit gave him motm, the one time we pressed slightly out of our box he gave alway a sloppy pass and we got caught out, then later in game he got rolled so easily by a Chelsea player with a shoulder drop and put his back to play taking about 5 seconds to turn round.

As you say, a deep defensive line can make the most average of defenders look very very good, and I think he will be found out if we try pushing up in the future.

Sam hasn’t made this players worldies, he’s just dropped our line back ten yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back