Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have we not figured out yet that wholesale changes do not work!

Let's get rid of these ten, twelve, is absolute mental. It's a squad game, we need to move on five players, some who haven't been near the team, and bring in three, obviously a left back, centre forward and a left sided central defender.

In the summer look a doing the same numbers wise, but bring in quality not quantity, but players who are ready now, we have great quality for the future already.

yep, i mean we don't even know for sure we won't be back in europe next season, where we'd need a big squad. No doubt the brainless will call the club short sighted and ameteur if they don't sell 10 players in january. They'd much prefer us play FM, sell 12 players in jan, have a tiny squad, then we qualify for the europa starting in july and they'll say "oh, we need to buy 11 new players".

There’s a crazy breed of Evertonian’s who want Sam Allardyce on the back of his 25 year career consisting of no trophies, one 6 place finish and years of dreadful football to spend the family silver we’ve waited decades for.

They don’t deserve nice things.
I don't think too many were happy with the hire. I also dont think many of us expect him to be here long term. I just hope he doesn't buy players that cannot support whatever system and manager we bring in come summer.

It's a fair question though mate. What we want as fans, and what we get are two completely different things, nothing to do with lack of ambition on the fans part, we get what we're given.

I am confident a lot of people who keep slating our current (2pts per game) manager would swap him for Simeone in a heartbeat,

Yet Simeone played a very similar style to us when he joined Atletico + had homegrown players come through and added some emerging stars as well over the years...

Its a case of Sam Allardici.

yep, i mean we don't even know for sure we won't be back in europe next season, where we'd need a big squad. No doubt the brainless will call the club short sighted and ameteur if they don't sell 10 players in january. They'd much prefer us play FM, sell 12 players in jan, have a tiny squad, then we qualify for the europa starting in july and they'll say "oh, we need to buy 11 new players".
Not sure you could even do that in FM.

Would like to see a couple departures, though.

lol you cant even reply but slate our manager....

Top fan you 'lad'.

I’m not slating the manager, hhe has my support now and he’s doing exactly what it said on the tin.

I don’t think he’s the man to take his forward long term, neither do the board judging by the contract they’ve given him and the time it took to appoint him.

I expect it’ll be thanks but no thanks st the end of the season and we’ll get someone in to match Mr Moshris ambition.

Robles (contract)
Garbutt
Galloway
Browning
Pennington
Jagielka
Martina
McCarthy
Mirallas
Klaassen
Sandro

Theres 11. If we signed a left back and a forward would we miss any of them from the squad?

Of course it is. The whole left side had to cover for Martina and we need at least one DCM and the other CB playing deep to cover for Williams.
Loved Williams for Swansea and Wales but he obviously doesn't have the passion for us, it's pretty blatant and I think Martina has been stealing a living for his entire career

Sam’s here now, and even though I wouldn’t have panicked when we did and appointed him I can understand why some did. But he’s here, he’s doing exactly what I expected of him and he’s fine for the remainder of this season but he’s going to have to show something he’s never shown before over these last few weeks to stay beyond this summer IMO.

I think he’s got enough at his disposal to finish 7th now, I’d be reluctant to give him considerable sums to spend and I’d see how he gets on over the next few months.

As boring as it makes this window, as grim as the football will be, I’d keep the big money for the next manager to spend.
Not disagreeing. But he's Doin the job he was brought in to do. At a time when we could not get our other targets in.
If we finish 7th it will be hard to get rid of him though

I don't think too many were happy with the hire. I also dont think many of us expect him to be here long term. I just hope he doesn't buy players that cannot support whatever system and manager we bring in come summer.

I’m not slating the manager, hhe has my support now and he’s doing exactly what it said on the tin.

I don’t think he’s the man to take his forward long term, neither do the board judging by the contract they’ve given him and the time it took to appoint him.

I expect it’ll be thanks but no thanks st the end of the season and we’ll get someone in to match Mr Moshris ambition.

If any manager got 7th this season from where we were after Southampton he would need approximately 2pts per game.

That's a harder feat than 76pts a season with a summer window bearing in mind the injuries/confidence/lack of players

There is absolutely no way any manager could be fired for getting 2pts a game.

If he gets that this season there is nothing to suggest he wont equal that amount next season.

I for one would love 76 pts next season.

A lot of people are focusing on attackers but for me we need to sort out the defence (its far from fixed)...

Keep
GK -- Pickford / ???
LB -- ??? / ???
LCB -- Keane / ???
RCB -- Holgate / ???
RB -- Kenny / Coleman

Perhaps Feeney could be 4th choice next season...looked very good in Europa.

Sell
GK -- Robles (Contract) / Stekelenburg
LB -- Baines / Garbutt
LCB -- Mori / Galloway
RCB -- Williams / Jagielka / Pennington
RB -- Martina /Browning

Not one of these players should be in the squad next season bar Robles if he extends his contract.

It means we need
Backup Keeper - This is not expensive
Two Centre Backs - Allardyce's specialty
Two Left Backs - One expensive and one rotation

If Baines is adequate for one more season as backup + Feeney can step up to 4th choice we need three players to have a very good defence.

That's what I would be focusing on.
Think Baines could definitely do a job for at least another season but you're 100% on the money, our defence is one season away from disaster really when you think about it! If we're serious about pushing up the league and challenging in cups the whole defence needs a overhaul

Loved Williams for Swansea and Wales but he obviously doesn't have the passion for us, it's pretty blatant and I think Martina has been stealing a living for his entire career

Williams has to play in a deep defence like Swanseas. That's why he is playing a bit better now as weve gone deep.

Not sure you could even do that in FM.

Would like to see a couple departures, though.

three or four yeah, but i want us to be european regulars and that requires a big squad. We would have been fine this season if we got in the 3 players we desperately needed, could have offloaded a couple more. But when we get 2 or 3 injuries which last 6 months plus every season, it is a bit hard. Players like mccarthy who are constantly injured and never in the first team when fit and can recoup a decent fee are the types we should be offloading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back