Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Williams has to play in a deep defence like Swanseas. That's why he is playing a bit better now as weve gone deep.
Think so? Still see him making a few mistakes at the moment, I'm just grateful that we got Pickford in because imagine the state we would be in with Martin or Joel in for the season

The one thing I think that's hard to judge transfer wise, if we have any decent amount of money available, Is what player would allardyce go for? Think using his previous clubs is a bit misleading. Would imagine our board and us as fans want more than grocks. Our situation is nowhere near as dire as he's faced before AND with better resources. Throw in the walsh factor and it's really hard to suss out anything firm.

None, they’re all garbage

Think Baines could definitely do a job for at least another season but you're 100% on the money, our defence is one season away from disaster really when you think about it! If we're serious about pushing up the league and challenging in cups the whole defence needs a overhaul

Clearly we need a forward so I wont bleat on about that.

Defence is crucial though.
If Coleman comes back the same it would be a minor miracle.
Kenny/Holgate/Feeney(4th choice) are all kids
Keane is looking great imo but no idea if he can play a high line
We really need Baines to be average for another season just for numbers really

Still leaves us short a centre back and a left back if we cleared out NINE defenders :o

Would that be considered a massive overhaul to sign 2 and sell 9? 1 in Jan and 1 in summer?

If not we would be in serious trouble next season with an ancient defence or a bunch of championship level players.

Think so? Still see him making a few mistakes at the moment, I'm just grateful that we got Pickford in because imagine the state we would be in with Martin or Joel in for the season

I don't mind Robles but hes off end of the season when his contract expires. I said Stekelenburg had been poor for years when we signed him, another Martina/Klaassen.

Williams looked good to me as well but I watched ESPN Asia a couple of years ago and they highlighted a lot of mistakes he made for Swansea and his positioning and passing out from left centre back.

The one thing I think that's hard to judge transfer wise, if we have any decent amount of money available, Is what player would allardyce go for? Think using his previous clubs is a bit misleading. Would imagine our board and us as fans want more than grocks. Our situation is nowhere near as dire as he's faced before AND with better resources. Throw in the walsh factor and it's really hard to suss out anything firm.

Theres over 10 players we could sell and would only miss one or two of them max. So theres cash to be earned from sales.

Also, I'm interested what hes got up his sleeve as hes been quoted as saying his first couple of signings will be very important to keeping his job as everyone will judge him on them.

Interesting to see who comes in.

The defence is ancient now if you think about it, Baines, Jags and Williams have a combined age of 101...loved watching the former two for years but we need to move on now surely

I am confident a lot of people who keep slating our current (2pts per game) manager would swap him for Simeone in a heartbeat,

Yet Simeone played a very similar style to us when he joined Atletico + had homegrown players come through and added some emerging stars as well over the years...

Its a case of Sam Allardici.
except Simeone has won things. Sams doing a solid job and it'll be good for us this season but he is what he is as a manager. won't get us higher than 7th or a cup even if he stays multiple seasons . Good and solid in the short term though

except Simeone has won things. Sams doing a solid job and it'll be good for us this season but he is what he is as a manager. won't get us higher than 7th or a cup even if he stays multiple seasons . Good and solid in the short term though

If he gets 7th this season its highly likely he would have hit around 2pts per game since joining.

That's champions league form.

If Simeone had managed the same sides as allardyce what would he have won?

Clearly we need a forward so I wont bleat on about that.

Defence is crucial though.
If Coleman comes back the same it would be a minor miracle.
Kenny/Holgate/Feeney(4th choice) are all kids
Keane is looking great imo but no idea if he can play a high line
We really need Baines to be average for another season just for numbers really

Still leaves us short a centre back and a left back if we cleared out NINE defenders :eek:

Would that be considered a massive overhaul to sign 2 and sell 9? 1 in Jan and 1 in summer?

If not we would be in serious trouble next season with an ancient defence or a bunch of championship level players.

Keane played well against Chelsea because we sat deeper than deep, he’s not good enough to play a high line. His awareness is atrocious, again proved against West Brom by letter rondon drift off his shoulder and have a free header

He needs to go in the bin

I am confident a lot of people who keep slating our current (2pts per game) manager would swap him for Simeone in a heartbeat,

Yet Simeone played a very similar style to us when he joined Atletico + had homegrown players come through and added some emerging stars as well over the years...

And not forgetting " Little Sammioni".

Dont recall Big Sam ever winning La Liga or getting to a CL final.

The fact that you claim Simeone and Sam have a similar style shows me everything you know about football.

What next, Sam and Jose are 2 peas in a pod?

The fact that you claim Simeone and Sam have a similar style shows me everything you know about football.

This is Ultimate ZatMonstering if he has just compared Simeone and one-shot-away-at-West-Brom Envelope Sam

Anyone saying we don’t need a left back as a priority are mentalists. Martina keeps making tackles with his right foot even when showing people down the line and Baines’ legs have totally gone. It was embarrassing watching no marks skinning one of our previously great players and had he not scored his penalties there would have been a clamour for him to be bombed out because he was stinking the gaffe out!!
Luke Shaw might not be the answer and may not be the player he was at Southampton but if his contract is coming to an end we will make back what we could get him for in January. Levy will definitely be sniffing but we should be able to get Shaw by offering him the wages he wants. One of Allardyces strengths has been to get the best out of the people he has and Shaw was touted as the next big thing.... It’s also one of the reasons I think we will be in for Wilshere too, especially if/when Barkley goes.
Still have no idea who we should go for as a forward option. I’m not the European/FIFA hipster I used to think I was 15 years ago and have limited knowledge outside the premiership. Allardyce won’t go for Carroll as he has stated he can’t play for more than 60 mins or he pulls a muscle. Benteke looks a busted flush and the Troy Deeney shouts would see me drinking bleach. I’d take Vardy if we could get him to play alongside Calvert-Lewin not instead of. Think Calvert-Lewin could really blossom with someone sharing the running and helping him up top.

Keane played well against Chelsea because we sat deeper than deep, he’s not good enough to play a high line. His awareness is atrocious, again proved against West Brom by letter rondon drift off his shoulder and have a free header

He needs to go in the bin

Perhaps, we'll have to see as he hasn't had a run of games.

I don't recall Simeone saving so many championship level clubs from relegation.

This is Ultimate ZatMonstering if he has just compared Simeone and one-shot-away-at-West-Brom Envelope Sam

Not even kidding. If you look back at when Simeone went to Atletico he focused on defence first and brought through youth players then they added (as usual since) sprinkles of emerging stars across the team + some experienced players.

If you take what he did as a barometer then look at Allardyce with us, what do you think Simeone would have done?

Anyone saying we don’t need a left back as a priority are mentalists. Martina keeps making tackles with his right foot even when showing people down the line and Baines’ legs have totally gone. It was embarrassing watching no marks skinning one of our previously great players and had he not scored his penalties there would have been a clamour for him to be bombed out because he was stinking the gaffe out!!
Luke Shaw might not be the answer and may not be the player he was at Southampton but if his contract is coming to an end we will make back what we could get him for in January. Levy will definitely be sniffing but we should be able to get Shaw by offering him the wages he wants. One of Allardyces strengths has been to get the best out of the people he has and Shaw was touted as the next big thing.... It’s also one of the reasons I think we will be in for Wilshere too, especially if/when Barkley goes.
Still have no idea who we should go for as a forward option. I’m not the European/FIFA hipster I used to think I was 15 years ago and have limited knowledge outside the premiership. Allardyce won’t go for Carroll as he has stated he can’t play for more than 60 mins or he pulls a muscle. Benteke looks a busted flush and the Troy Deeney shouts would see me drinking bleach. I’d take Vardy if we could get him to play alongside Calvert-Lewin not instead of. Think Calvert-Lewin could really blossom with someone sharing the running and helping him up top.

We really need Baines to have one more season just as a backup player or we'll need to sign too many players like last summer. I don't know if he can do it even if he only gets a few games.

If Shaw's contract up next summer?

I don't fancy any premier league forward who we 'could' sign...

Go to bed. Delete your profile first, then go to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back