Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barkley - not involved - gone
Mirallas - not involved - gone

Now the same just needs to happen to Stecklenburg and Besic whilst long term strategy needs to be deciding on Klaassen and Sandro. If they are not going to be used there is zero point in keeping them.

I appreciate a lot of people have a soft spot for Niasse but he is an obvious candidate to go, despite the fact that he has a decent for return on time played, but he simply isn't the quality required to push on.

One if not both of Jags and Williams will be gone at the end of the season I am sure and one of McCarthy or Schneiderlin can go too if not both.

Too many players on the books contributing nothing so it needs trimming drastically by about 8-10 with about 3-4 better quality players brought in.

No place on this particular thread for such a sensible post. Be gone nerd, be gone.

Mate we have 7-8 players who arent even making squads every week, are you suggesting we keep the likes of Sandro around the place on 100k+ a week? We pay Besic 40k a week to train? Im not the club and my mind isnt excessively feeble, but it makes total sense, as you say, with only pride left to play for, to NOT have a squad as big as ours.

Sam says we have 32 players in the first team squad, we can name 18 every week, 7 or 8 need punting on top of the 1s we have already punted.
I think we are agreeing. It is a sensible policy to trim the squad size. What I dont like is that we are in this position because we played crap all season and that we might throw the baby out with the bath water for next season. I think Klassen and Sandro are good examples where they might still come good under a different manager/system but people want them out to save wages, especially if we replace them with new ‘risks’ on same or more wages given the market.

The word in Glasgow, is that Brighton are the only club that have showed an interest in Demble and they`ll be wanting between 25 / 30 mil for him - which he isn`t worth.
Thats serious money for Brighton.
Suppose if he starts quickly and bags a few it may keep them in the Prem.
Huge gamble on an unproven player.

270m spent on players in 18months, yeah, really seems like a club playing for mid table.
We have watched that lot sell loads and then buy loads to go nowhere in the past. It doesn't work. Thankfully under Big Sam it looks like we may be returning to a more sensible policy although it will make it harder for the board apologists on here.

Thats serious money for Brighton.
Suppose if he starts quickly and bags a few it may keep them in the Prem.
Huge gamble on an unproven player.

All my mates family are Celtic season ticket holders and they really rate him, but weirdly don`t seem that bothered about him leaving (if he does).

I go to the pub and watch Celtic games with my mate, on a fairly regular basis and he doesn`t look all that to me, even in the Scottish pub league he plays in.

I think we are agreeing. It is a sensible policy to trim the squad size. What I dont like is that we are in this position because we played crap all season and that we might throw the baby out with the bath water for next season. I think Klassen and Sandro are good examples where they might still come good under a different manager/system but people want them out to save wages, especially if we replace them with new ‘risks’ on same or more wages given the market.

I dont want Klaassen or Sandro out, I totally agree they should be given a chance, but and im just assuming and basing it off a few little rumours ive heard, but what if Sandros heart just isnt in it, what if hes got a bad attitude? None of this we know, hes not playing cos when he has played hes stunk the place out, personally I would be giving him and Klaassen U23 games, but the fact that neither are involved suggests we are lining up a transfer cos we dont think they are gonna cut it.

Lots of assumptions, I know, like Besic, I love him, but his times up, hes not making squads, we would be better getting him off the wage bill and getting a fee, not cos we are skint, not cos hes bad, but simply we have too many players.

Sam will know whos with him and who isnt, now granted he could be a short term appointment, but as I keep saying, the squad is full to the brim, it needs shaving, too many players walking around sulking cos they aint getting games is no good for anyone.

Our recruitment on the main has been an utter joke, wrong players bought, overpaying all over the show, thankfully we have a base with Moshiris investment and the disgusting TV money deal, things need to improve, we need a clear out and we need to replace around 10 players and replace them with 3-4 of REAL quality in the next 2-3 windows, ideally in the next 2, but hey ho.

how much has player sales bought in up to today then in the last 18 months ??

just curious

No idea, I havent done the math properly, I would say around 170m+, but thats just a loose guess.

We have watched that lot sell loads and then buy loads to go nowhere in the past. It doesn't work. Thankfully under Big Sam it looks like we may be returning to a more sensible policy although it will make it harder for the board apologists on here.
Lad,do you even watch football or have you just been on a 3 day bender ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back