Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
..from the noises being made (Allardyce said he would decide about Garbutt before the window closes), it looks like the club are talking to Sunderland about Galloway. If that fails then perhaps Garbutt will be registered. There must still be a chance we acquire somebody but you have to think that is dependent on players leaving and the main target being available.
I liked you eggs
You talk sense you do

I would love to see a LB bought this window but only if it is a legitimate number 1 LB for the next 5 years. Otherwise just bring back galloway to back up leighton and LCB until we can buy a real LB in the summer.

What i recall from Galloway was that he was a good size lad that was athletic but lacked in technique. I think he would be a more physical, faster and better defender than Cuco. At 6 foot 2 he could help in the box. I liked him he made some decent runs at LB under Martinez. I think he can be a decent backup for LB/LCD, a good squad player. He is a true left footer as well.

..from the noises being made (Allardyce said he would decide about Garbutt before the window closes), it looks like the club are talking to Sunderland about Galloway. If that fails then perhaps Garbutt will be registered. There must still be a chance we acquire somebody but you have to think that is dependent on players leaving and the main target being available.
I agree that that is the most likely scenario, I just can't fathom why LB wasn't the priority after a striker. Maybe it's a case of having the opportunity to sign Walcott and that has hoovered up all of the available cash (plus if Lennon and Niasse move on we will be light in those positions - but we don't have to sell either of them now).
I suppose my biggest disappointment is the acknowledgement that a club like ours has to play a poor RB at LB or use one of two players who have previously failed to make the grade as a starting fullback.

I’m sure we all (mostly) agree on where we need to strengthen but what I can’t comprehend is why BSA is not entertaining the idea of loaning out some of the squad who aren’t getting game any game time? Surely the likes of Klassen, Sandro, Vlasic, Besic and others, if fit and not getting in a match day squad would benefit from getting game time elsewhere, even if we’re looking to offload them in the summer it gives other teams a chance to have a look at the product. It also gives us the chance to potentially get some of their wages off the books for a couple of months. Seems like a no-brainer?

I agree that that is the most likely scenario, I just can't fathom why LB wasn't the priority after a striker. Maybe it's a case of having the opportunity to sign Walcott and that has hoovered up all of the available cash (plus if Lennon and Niasse move on we will be light in those positions - but we don't have to sell either of them now).
I suppose my biggest disappointment is the acknowledgement that a club like ours has to play a poor RB at LB or use one of two players who have previously failed to make the grade as a starting fullback.

..blame Koeman (and perhaps Walsh). I agree with all those who say a top LB will actually help us from an attacking perspective but perhaps the player the club most want is only available in the summer. I don’t know. I do understand the priority of getting a Walcott type in because we don’t have players who ‘can get us up the pitch’. Walcott (if he arrives) and Bolasie will hopefully enable that and provide Tosun with ammunition.

..blame Koeman (and perhaps Walsh). I agree with all those who say a top LB will actually help us from an attacking perspective but perhaps the player the club most want is only available in the summer. I don’t know. I do understand the priority of getting a Walcott type in because we don’t have players who ‘can get us up the pitch’. Walcott (if he arrives) and Bolasie will hopefully enable that and provide Tosun with ammunition.
Yeah, it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation for me. Can we not get up the pitch because we don't have the players up top or is it because we can't get the ball to these players because we don't have the players at the back? If we sign Walcott and not a LB we'll find out. Hopefully, we'll sign both and never know!

..I don’t disagree with the ‘need’, I just accept a LB might not be a priority for this window. If Walcott comes in, it looks like he and Bolasie will fill the wide positions. Sigurdsson first choice no10 perhaps.

We will get badly done in most games down the left if we played those three though mate, still think we are just waiting for United to move on a left back to get Shaw in, if united don't though...

I’m sure we all (mostly) agree on where we need to strengthen but what I can’t comprehend is why BSA is not entertaining the idea of loaning out some of the squad who aren’t getting game any game time? Surely the likes of Klassen, Sandro, Vlasic, Besic and others, if fit and not getting in a match day squad would benefit from getting game time elsewhere, even if we’re looking to offload them in the summer it gives other teams a chance to have a look at the product. It also gives us the chance to potentially get some of their wages off the books for a couple of months. Seems like a no-brainer?
FSA obviously wants to shift players out for cash to fund incomings.
Players going on loan would bring in no cash and we would still end up paying some of the wages.
Not many clubs are willing to pay the wages Klassen Besic Morgan Etc are on.
I’d say the club have told him the young players have to stay and the new manager will decide on them.
Sam knows he needs to sell to buy as very few clubs will spend 70/80 m in Jan

Think we are just waiting on Shaw mate, same agent btw as Siggy so we would you'd assume know 100% iof he was interested - hence us waiting maybe.

Don't see Mourinho selling to a direct rival in Spurs, and none of the others in that group would be interested either i don't think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back