Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
...16 days, so I suppose we’re into the 2nd half of the January transfer window. Here’s a summary of rumours for this Tuesday morning;

- Sam Allardyce has told the Daily Mail that he doesn’t know where he’ll play Theo Walcott until the deal is done. Paul Joyce from The Times says the transfer is into the final stages of negotiations, whilst the Guardian’s Andy Hunter reports the Toffees are hopeful the deal will be concluded this week.

- MadaboutEPL website links West Ham with a move for Everton midfielder, Tom Davies. The Liverpool Echo say the Hammers have made no bid for the player.

- According to 4th Official, both Burnley and Newcastle are readying bids for Everton’s Aaron Lennon.

- BetVictor have installed Everton as joint favourites to sign Bournmouth’s 35 year old striker, Jermain Defoe, in the January transfer window.

- The Express suggests Leeds are leading Everton in the race to sign Forest Green Rovers 17 year old defensive midfielder, Jordon Stevens.

- Starsport report Everton interest in Manchester United’s 22 year old Left Back, Luke Shaw, and could launch a loan move this month.
Made the last one up didn't ye :)

We need a left back desperately then we should, at least on paper, be good enough for seventh. That said, the last month has probably killed off any hope of that, barring a miraculous recovery by us and huge cock-up by Burnley in the league. If we get a left back, plus Walcott, it'll have been a great transfer window.

Along with a left back, we still need a midfielder who can hold onto the ball and run the game.

Allardyce is going to be here next season let’s face it, so get one in now so he can settle into the team ready for another mid table push next season. N’Zonzi would have been good.

Haven´t been on for a while, so what´s our left back situation then ? No one in sight ? tbf I think just anyone would be an upgrade.

Sadly mate that requires a forward thinking and planning ownership, CEO and most importantly DoF, i don't think we have at least 2 of those 3 and certainly all 3 have shown varying degrees of incompetency in their roles.

There's many ways to bridge the gap in reality, the most quoted one is 'the spurs model' - but will give a caveat for that as well, yup they bought some good young players - Eriksen, Son, Alli and some shrewd 'peak year' players like Lloris, Vertonghen, Alderweirld, Dembele etc but also made a lot of mistakes as well in players like Lamela, Sissoko, Jansen and a lot of others. But why i think the spurs model isn't one that can just be copied for a similar result, they struck gold, they had a once in a generation talent coming through in Kane who they had zero ability to attract a player of that calibre through the way they recruit, if you like it'd be like if Rooney would have come through during Martinez first season at the level he was at when he was 21 or so, we'd have ended up finishing easily inside the top 4 and the entire landscape of the club changes.

Sio guess what i am saying is the spurs model can't be copied, because the thing that has pushed them on from where we spent a large portion of the last 15 years - the best of the rest position, was Kanes development which can't be replicated really, they kind of got lucky in that regard.

You also have the model that teams like Sevilla use etc, which is by and large picking up overlooked talent, or 'flawed' talent - bit easier to do for them as they in large part take spanish speaking players who have failed in moves to other countries and rehabilitate them - lack of English players moving abroad removes that possibility for us ofc.

..spot on. I always say judge a manager on who they’ve bought but I suppose that now extends to the DoF. The Everton ‘model’ could probably be a mix of the examples you highlight. Imagine getting a young Tim Cahill from Millwall now, or a crocked Andy Gray. It’s a real skill getting the right players in but it helps knowing the team shape you want to play. You also need a blend of players who compliment each other and have the right attitude.

It would have been fairly obvious to anyone who had watched Spurs this season that the only way to get any sort of result would have been to press and press again all over the park.Most of our players walked off the pitch looking as though they'd just finished a pre training session warm up.That isn't down to coaching,but an attitude of supposed senior.professionals who have probably bought into the idea that all they need is three more wins against teams below us.As I said earlier,Martinez,Koeman,Unsworth,Allardyce.They have served up the same lack of commitment for all four.Huge end of season clear out needed and a test of the boards will to see us succeed,not just survive.

...16 days, so I suppose we’re into the 2nd half of the January transfer window. Here’s a summary of rumours for this Tuesday morning;

- Sam Allardyce has told the Daily Mail that he doesn’t know where he’ll play Theo Walcott until the deal is done. Paul Joyce from The Times says the transfer is into the final stages of negotiations, whilst the Guardian’s Andy Hunter reports the Toffees are hopeful the deal will be concluded this week.

- MadaboutEPL website links West Ham with a move for Everton midfielder, Tom Davies. The Liverpool Echo say the Hammers have made no bid for the player.

- According to 4th Official, both Burnley and Newcastle are readying bids for Everton’s Aaron Lennon.

- BetVictor have installed Everton as joint favourites to sign Bournmouth’s 35 year old striker, Jermain Defoe, in the January transfer window.

- The Express suggests Leeds are leading Everton in the race to sign Forest Green Rovers 17 year old defensive midfielder, Jordon Stevens.

- Starsport report Everton interest in Manchester United’s 22 year old Left Back, Luke Shaw, and could launch a loan move this month.
What have we become

The most important criteria for any new recruits are:

- Do they want to be here?
- Do they get us?
- Would they run through brick walls for us?

All 3 are a must IMHO
I think much more important, so that they fit in and integrate into this current squad of players are the following characteristics:

- Do they shirk responsibility when the going gets tough? Plus point if so.
- Do they always put in 110% effort, not even for themselves for but the fans? If not, add another plus point.
- Do they learn from their mistakes after reviewing video replays of previous games? If no, an absolute plus point again.

Two of the three plus points from above and they'll slot into this squad nicely. Maybe a nice quiet defender to partner Jags? A mousy midfielder to sit alongside Schneiderlin?

To me it feels like we are waiting for the first domino to fall, if Sánchez goes to United, with Mikhateryan going the other way to Arsenal, that will free up Walcott to come to us. However if Sanchez goes to Chelsea instead Arsenal may not release Walcott until they can get a replacement in, so it could drag on till deadline day.

It is odd that there have been no firm left back links, other than the lad from Lille and the Mexican guy from Porto. Which have so far come to nothing.

Rafinha would be good as well, particularly if it is a loan to buy, as mentioned this morning, loan till the end of the season and £20m to make it permanent. An offer from Inter was rejected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back