Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I see things now, going forward there are at least two systems we can employ on the basis that we sign Walcott but fail to bring in a LB. With Coleman coming back soon I honestly don't think we'd be looking too bad until the summer:

Against 'non-top six' teams at home:

Pickford

Coleman - Holgate - Jagielka - Kenny

Rooney - Gueye

Walcott - Sigurdsson - Bolasie/Lookman

Tosun

Think this one is pretty straightforward. Rooney is at his best when he's finding space with the ball to bring out of the midfield. Plenty of options in front of him to work with. Bolasie & Lookman are much of a muchness out on the left though I think Bolasie gets the nod by virtue of his distribution being better (I also happen to think Lookman, by and large, would be more affective coming on as a sub). Jags gets the nod over Williams due to him generally making better use of the ball from the back, though that's not really saying an awful lot.

Every other scenario:

Pickford

Holgate - Keane/Jagielka - Williams

Gueye
Coleman-----------------------Kenny

Davies

Walcott----------Sigurdsson

Tosun

I appreciate this one looks a bit bonkers but I think it could work. It's essentially a back five with Coleman & Kenny as wingbacks, which both are capable of doing. In both Walcott and Sig in front of them they have players who are good on the ball and will provide an outlet. Rooney is dropped to the bench with Davies getting the nod, as a CM I think his off-the-ball productivity is a bit better than Rooney's whilst still possessing the quality to be able to attack with the ball when he gets the opportunity to (certainly when his tail is up). The likes of Rooney, Bolasie, Lookman, Vlasic and even McCarthy would be good options off the bench depending on the situation in the second half of matches.

Just as a side note, and I say this quietly, but I think Klaassen could potentially also work in Davies's position in that system.

I like both teams but would swap to play a 3-4-3 against 'top 6' opposition and 4-3-3 against 'the rest'.

Id play Baines over Kenny at LB too.

I don’t see the point in playing a right back as a left back so why don’t we play 3-4-3

We have better width in Lookman, Vlasic, Bolasie and Lennon plus playing a defensive midfielder they can cover the left or right depending on the opponent attack.

This allows Sigurdsson to player in the centre of midfield with the role of playmaker.

Okay to our strengths not accommodate weaknesses.

We pressed them all over the park first half, but ran out of steam second and they over ran us, we have to be fitter and of course have better ball retention.
We should have players fit enough to play at 100% for the full 90 minutes.We do but they don't appear to have the will to do it.And that's been the common denominator for the last four managers.

Walcott is nothing like Mahrez.

Also, Mahrez is nothing like Ross but is a 'ball carrier'.

Marez plays on the right does he not? Same position as Walcott.

I meant it as a joke, we are signing the budget version of him.

I think its someone more like Arteta we need centrally, someone who creates centrally in between the lines and deeper, someone who will play with their head up and forwards and bridge the transition and can make yards by bringing the ball forward, someone to push the play forward. I see Walcott more out on the flank coming in or an inside forward.

I agree. Get rid of most of the cms we have and sign some that actually for together in a team including as you say someone arteta esq

I don’t see the point in playing a right back as a left back so why don’t we play 3-4-3

We have better width in Lookman, Vlasic, Bolasie and Lennon plus playing a defensive midfielder they can cover the left or right depending on the opponent attack.

This allows Sigurdsson to player in the centre of midfield with the role of playmaker.

Okay to our strengths not accommodate weaknesses.
We tried that, got hammered every week with it!

We don't have the wing backs for it. Coleman won't be fit before March properly and Baines can't do it.

Loan to buy for rafinha would be good business provided he stays injury free.

Great on the ball and can actually run with it too and boy can he pick a pass.

My only worry is he would play where siggy plays but I can see him fighting for a place with the World Cup in the summer

My only worry is he would play where siggy plays but I can see him fighting for a place with the World Cup in the summer

Should go for his brother aswell as hes supposed to be available from bayern.

We need a clear out in the summer to make way for some players like this that can actual pass the ball and run with it.

He plays left mid? I'm joking, but everything I've read and seen indicates he plays more like an 8 or 6. Rooney would be the issue I think. Can this guy win a ball back at all?

Can we just buy Doucoure and stop messing around with these soft midfielders. Get a true ball winner that can distribute. N'Zonzi would be fine, too. And sell the rest of our DM garbage.

I’m confident we’ll get a left back, but it really is time to push some players out the door.

Expect Lennon, Besic, Sandro, Stek and maybe Klassen and Niasse to leave before we get a full back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back