Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the previously reported (read it somewhere) budget for jan is 70m then may only have funds for 1 more decent addition.
... I think most would say it’d have to be a LB?... problem is even if that happened then the defence will still always be compromised by not having someone in front of them willing to take the ball when under pressure.
Think a LB undoubtedly would help when we don’t have the ball, but a solid, confident DM would help out far more when we do have the ball...
Desperately hope we can get both as without them I cannot see much improvement happening... unless Schnides suddenly remembers its actually the Refs job to move around the pitch avoiding interfering with the ball.
Exactly this. When I watched you guys I got the impression that the defence looked worse than it was because you had no one in midfield to carry the ball, link play and give the defenders some protection/breathing space.

It's looked like whenever the ball goes out from the defence it's immediately back at them and the defenders have to defend again. This is gonna make anyone's defence look crap if the midfield isn't gonna help protect it. As it is opposition teams are just strolling through your midfield and the defence is always busy and worked.

Your number one priority should be a ball playing CM who can link play either as a box to box or deep lying play maker with Gueye doing the leg work next to him.

Lb should be the next priority.

..I think we have to be very careful thinking an individual or a specific position will transform the team. Walsh and Allardyce need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. We clearly need new players, but failure to acquire players that fit the longer-term team model means we continually chase our tail.

We are in a mess, the squad is poor and it needs a root and branch rebuild. It will take time and needs somebody with vision to make it happen.

..I think we have to be very careful thinking an individual or a specific position will transform the team. Walsh and Allardyce need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. We clearly need new players, but failure to acquire players that fit the longer-term team model means we continually chase our tail.

We are in a mess, the squad is poor and it needs a root and branch rebuild. It will take time and needs somebody with vision to make it happen.
I fear that is what we continue to do though mate.

Tosun being a striker and we needed one so fair enough there.

But we didn't need Walcott. That still suggests he was signed simply because he was available rather than because we needed him. Especially when the manager hasn't actually changed much to accommodate him other than dropping a unfit player.

That's where we , as you say, will go round in circles rather than go forward. Still no signing make a sense in the context of it , only tosun because we literally had no striker .

Easier to lash another £50m on 29 year olds because they are "Premier league proven"

I fear that is what we continue to do though mate.

Tosun being a striker and we needed one so fair enough there.

But we didn't need Walcott. That still suggests he was signed simply because he was available rather than because we needed him. Especially when the manager hasn't actually changed much to accommodate him other than dropping a unfit player.

That's where we , as you say, will go round in circles rather than go forward. Still no signing make a sense in the context of it , only tosun because we literally had no striker .
Hasn't everyone been saying this team needed width and speed? Both of those Walcott has proven at the highest level. I would suggest we did need Walcott and someone of his quality.

Think that myself, atleast 10-12 need to be gone to get that squad size down, people will be demanding 5/6 signings between now and next season.
Do we shift out 12-15 players? Is that even possible?

I know people generally hate Sam etc but I cannot help feeling he has walked into the club and thought WTF is this lot? He is pretty clear that the team is unbalanced, has players that shouldn't be there and it is a mess. He has regularly commented on size and clearly made a point about the number of number 10s in the club. Some people will say this is just an excuse but there is still part of me that thinks he will clear a lot of the rubbish out and leave a strong foundation of a club that is hard to beat and plays on the counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back