Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jonjoe has shown us absolutely nothing going forward, playing Coleman right wing would make more sense in my mind and even then we shouldn't be rushing him back.

Siggy at no10, as in the only position he's played well in for us and contributed to our attacking play. He is wasted on the left for example, regardless of whether he can 'do a job there'.

You want maybe the best RB in the league playing wing? Either way, the point is that we've got plenty of options out right and don't need Lennon. I like the guy, hard worker, but he's not better than Vlasic or Lookman and shouldn't be playing ahead of them.

surely we could tempt one of the following left backs to join us:-

1. Ryan Sessegnon - Fulham - 17 years old - beast of a player;
2. Kieran Tierney - Celtic - 20 years old - Captain and has European football experience

3. Joe Bryan - Bristol City - 24 years old - one of the best up and coming English left backs

It's not like we are trying to sign friggin Jordi Alba or Alex Sandro

these are REALISTIC targets that we could surely get in January

No

You want maybe the best RB in the league playing wing? Either way, the point is that we've got plenty of options out right and don't need Lennon. I like the guy, hard worker, but he's not better than Vlasic or Lookman and shouldn't be playing ahead of them.
Vlasic has absolutely not proven he is better than Lennon, at all. In fact he looks well out of his depth here.

I didn't say I want that, I'm saying Kenny has shown absolutely nothing going forward and therefore playing him on the wing would be pointless

Vlasic has absolutely not proven he is better than Lennon, at all. In fact he looks well out of his depth here.

I didn't say I want that, I'm saying Kenny has shown absolutely nothing going forward and therefore playing him on the wing would be pointless

I don't think many are going to agree with you that Vlasic looks out of his depth there. It's Aaron Lennon we are talking about here, not bloody Eden Hazard.

I'm not sure how Kenny has shown nothing going forward, it he is no more pointless than Coleman. Again, we are talking about having backup options that are comparable to Aaron Lennon because he's on 50K a week and is expendable. Aaron Lennon. Like the player. I do. Again, not exactly Messi.

I don't think many are going to agree with you that Vlasic looks out of his depth there. It's Aaron Lennon we are talking about here, not bloody Eden Hazard.

I'm not sure how Kenny has shown nothing going forward, it he is no more pointless than Coleman. Again, we are talking about having backup options that are comparable to Aaron Lennon because he's on 50K a week and is expendable. Aaron Lennon. Like the player. I do. Again, not exactly Messi.
Honestly, vlasic has done nothing and fails to track back a lot resulting in goals etc. Not been impressed other than a couple of mazy runs.

And again, what exactly has Kenny shown going forward? He's a good young player with potential who's done well defensively but he has barely got crosses in or even hit the byline.

Edit; just wanna say I do.thnk vlasic has potential and it will come with games but unsure on how we're going about it

Honestly, vlasic has done nothing and fails to track back a lot resulting in goals etc. Not been impressed other than a couple of mazy runs.

And again, what exactly has Kenny shown going forward? He's a good young player with potential who's done well defensively but he has barely got crosses in or even hit the byline.

Edit; just wanna say I do.thnk vlasic has potential and it will come with games but unsure on how we're going about it
I am impressed with the use of the word Mazy. Just saying.

I guess I just subscribe to the idea that if you have a promising youngster, have him backup someone. Having proven mediocre is not better than questionable with upside. I've seen enough of Vlasic both for Split and for us in terms of first touch, movement, intelligence, finishing, etc. to think he can be as good as, albeit different than Lennon.

Again, the wages are the key. If we are bringing on Walcott's salary, we realistically have to move some. Lennon just seems obvious.

I also wouldn't play Coleman or Kenny at right wing.

I guess I just subscribe to the idea that if you have a promising youngster, have him backup someone. Having proven mediocre is not better than questionable with upside. I've seen enough of Vlasic both for Split and for us in terms of first touch, movement, intelligence, finishing, etc. to think he can be as good as, albeit different than Lennon.

Again, the wages are the key. If we are bringing on Walcott's salary, we realistically have to move some. Lennon just seems obvious.

100% agree with this. Just play the best one in his best position.

Fair enough. So we'd be looking at a bolasie/lookman and walcott/,vlasic set of wingers which isn't the end of the world provided rotation is actually used efficiently.

Just part of me thinks lennon is alright and I would have preferred to move him in the summer as he still offers us something, alas I never expected us to be in for a winger right now though.

I also don't want either Coleman or Kenny on the wing it was just a followup to a different point lol

And thanks, I felt mazy was quite apt.

Fair enough. So we'd be looking at a bolasie/lookman and walcott/,vlasic set of wingers which isn't the end of the world provided rotation is actually used efficiently.

Just part of me thinks lennon is alright and I would have preferred to move him in the summer as he still offers us something, alas I never expected us to be in for a winger right now though.

I also don't want either Coleman or Kenny on the wing it was just a followup to a different point lol

And thanks, I felt mazy was quite apt.

I always got the impression when we signed Vlasic that his natural/prefered position wasn't as a winger, but more of a number 10, through the middle.

If the club cba buying a left back because we've got nothing to play for now, is it possible that they match this reduced ambition with paying back some of my season ticket money?
why should I pay full price if they're obviously not really asred about giving me value for money?
BuyerBeware

Theres a bit of a myth about "nothing to play for" that I think makes the rounds. Its that if there isnt anything to play for, one shouldnt bother to improve the squad. Ignoring the fact that this team could still make europe if it finishes 7th and the league cup goes in a good direction, that myth ignores the importance of team chemistry. Buying a player just to get one in, or in a panic WOULD be pointless at this stage. But buying a great player now would be very beneficial as it gives them 6 months to get up to pace with their teamates before the start of next season. Then next year we can hit the ground running rather than trying to integrate all new players.

All 3 of those players have looked pretty average to me in the league, cant see Kenny or Coleman doing any better either. Walcott would surely make that position his own unless Tosun is a bust and he's required to play upfront.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back