Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All 3 of those players have looked pretty average to me in the league, cant see Kenny or Coleman doing any better either. Walcott would surely make that position his own unless Tosun is a bust and he's required to play upfront.
At least Lookman and Vlasic have an excuse, theyve barely played any minutes and are really young.

Lennon doesnt. But I do agree that anyone would be hard pressed to argue Lookman or Vlasic will play better than Walcott at that position for at least the next year or so.

Theres a bit of a myth about "nothing to play for" that I think makes the rounds. Its that if there isnt anything to play for, one shouldnt bother to improve the squad. Ignoring the fact that this team could still make europe if it finishes 7th and the league cup goes in a good direction, that myth ignores the importance of team chemistry. Buying a player just to get one in, or in a panic WOULD be pointless at this stage. But buying a great player now would be very beneficial as it gives them 6 months to get up to pace with their teamates before the start of next season. Then next year we can hit the ground running rather than trying to integrate all new players.
Hopefully that is what the board and men i charge of the transfers are thinking aswell.

That would be the most logic approach. We need quality, not quantaty.

All 3 of those players have looked pretty average to me in the league, cant see Kenny or Coleman doing any better either. Walcott would surely make that position his own unless Tosun is a bust and he's required to play upfront.
That's my point, if they've all looked average, play the ones with upside. Vlasic isn't getting worse, he can get a LOT better. And no, he's not a winger, but he played as a wide midfielder for Split against us and looked great. He can play on the right is my point.

Fair enough. So we'd be looking at a bolasie/lookman and walcott/,vlasic set of wingers which isn't the end of the world provided rotation is actually used efficiently.

Just part of me thinks lennon is alright and I would have preferred to move him in the summer as he still offers us something, alas I never expected us to be in for a winger right now though.

I also don't want either Coleman or Kenny on the wing it was just a followup to a different point lol

And thanks, I felt mazy was quite apt.

Let's not forget that Lennon is in the team because he's prepared to track back and do the dirty work in his own half; not because he's capable of beating the opposition fullback at will and swinging perfect crosses onto our striker's head.

Lennon out of the side exposes Kenny more. One of the reason's he looked so good over the past month is because of Lennon.

At least Lookman and Vlasic have an excuse, theyve barely played any minutes and are really young.

Lennon doesnt. But I do agree that anyone would be hard pressed to argue Lookman or Vlasic will play better than Walcott at that position for at least the next year or so.
Vlasic has actually only played 75 minutes less than Niasse in the league!

Walsh needs to get his lazy a*se up to Celtic, slam £50m down on the table in front of Rodgers and bring the lad Tierney down to Finch Farm.

That boy's an Everton player if ever I saw one

That's my point, if they've all looked average, play the ones with upside. Vlasic isn't getting worse, he can get a LOT better. And no, he's not a winger, but he played as a wide midfielder for Split against us and looked great. He can play on the right is my point.
Would rather we signed Walcott and played him every game, especially at the wages were planning on paying him.

Let's not forget that Lennon is in the team because he's prepared to track back and do the dirty work in his own half; not because he's capable of beating the opposition fullback at will and swinging perfect crosses onto our striker's head.

Lennon out of the side exposes Kenny more. One of the reason's he looked so good over the past month is because of Lennon.
WOW. so we need wingers that can defend now, instead of actually doing three job.
The worlds gone mad. We need Coleman back because he’s better than Kenny going forward( not my opinion)
But we would rather have Lennon instead of Walcott because he’s better at defending.

surely we could tempt one of the following left backs to join us:-

1. Ryan Sessegnon - Fulham - 17 years old - beast of a player;
2. Kieran Tierney - Celtic - 20 years old - Captain and has European football experience
3. Joe Bryan - Bristol City - 24 years old - one of the best up and coming English left backs

It's not like we are trying to sign friggin Jordi Alba or Alex Sandro

these are REALISTIC targets that we could surely get in January

This is the worry for me. We rely on Gylfi to cover for Martina all the time. If Walcott comes I presume Gylfi will go central so who will cover at LB? Walcott? Bolasie? I don't think so. If we play those two we can't have a passenger for a LB.

Sessegnon will almost certainly move to a CL club.

There must be a left full back out there in world football capable of relieving us all of Cuco Martina who is realistic and affordable.

If the club cba buying a left back because we've got nothing to play for now, is it possible that they match this reduced ambition with paying back some of my season ticket money?
why should I pay full price if they're obviously not really asred about giving me value for money?

....not really getting all of this ferver over a LB. Allardyce has come in and made us better defensively but we remain poor as an attacking force. The priority was to bolster those areas of the pitch. The squad is too big, the squad is unbalanced so players will need to move on.

We need a permanent replacement for Baines, he seems brittle and hasn’t got the agility he once had. It’s a tough league for little fellas. Regardless, there’s 5 months of the season left and we are managing without him. Martina is a stop gap but we are managing. Galloway might return, Garbutt might be registered depending on the prognosis for Baines but if either are introduced they’ll almost certainly be behind Martina in the queue.

This squad needs an overhaul, players will have to leave. I suspect we’ll all have to put up with Martina for a few more months or at least until Baines is fit.

Not too sure about recalling Galloway.
Although he actually is a left back, he's no real improvement on Martina and certainly no replacement for Baines.
Unless something has changed about him at Sunderland,.

Would Walcott improve the starting 11? No doubt in my mind.
Could we find a younger cheaper version from abroad or the championship? Debatable.
However Steve Walsh isn’t exactly unearthing hidden gems, like his Leicester day’s with our purchases so far.

Reactions: ADT

Lookman has been involved in 17 games this season, 12 as sub.
Vlasic has been involved in nine, three as sub.

WOW. so we need wingers that can defend now, instead of actually doing three job.
The worlds gone mad. We need Coleman back because he’s better than Kenny going forward( not my opinion)
But we would rather have Lennon instead of Walcott because he’s better at defending.
We need Lennon and Walcott (or a player like him.)

Lennon will track back if we're defending a lead and Walcott if we need to continue pressing. It's as simple as that for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back