Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly. Whether by design or pure luck, Unsy came up with a format and team selection that actually worked against West Ham. Allardyce followed suit for the next 4/5 games but apart from Liverpool the opposition were poor.

Problem is though, playing 2 DMs and Siggy on the left, all to cover for a very poor right footed left back, seriously unbalances the side. We got away with it against the poor teams plus it was only a matter of time before the opposition realised how poor Martina actually is at left back.

I think you may see a different 3 at the back if you had a left footed LWB rather than Martina.

A 4-3-3 doesn't have to have two dm's, that's the thing

Gana can sit and sweep up. Davies to do the running. Rooney/Gylfi to get on the ball.

And then have a proper front three.

Or, go 4-4-2

I'm inclined to give Keane, Klaassen and Sandro more time to prove themselves. They are all clearly better than they have shown for us this season. Rooney and Baines I'd keep hold of for their experience and the positive influence they could have on the younger players (hoping they'd be bit part players rather than regular starters). I'd also be looking for an upgrade on both Funes Mori and Niasse.

So, we'd need to bring in a quality left sided centre back and a young quality left back. Both starters. A starting holding midfielder, another striker and a ball carrying midfielder to replace Barkley.

Of those young players, I think only Holgate will need to be registered next season so that's a great bonus for us numbers wise, to which we can probably add players like Dowell, Connelly and Feeney.

What's all the fuss about?
Obviously it's never going to happen, but I'd be interested to hear a younger player talk about whether or not they learn anything from Rooney on a day to day basis. I know he was top drawer in his day, but in terms of setting an example, much of his off the field behaviour is a disgrace.

Not too sure about Baines anymore, either. Him and Jagielka have both been prominent figures in squads that have downed tools on multiple managers now.

A 4-3-3 doesn't have to have two dm's, that's the thing

Gana can sit and sweep up. Davies to do the running. Rooney/Gylfi to get on the ball.

And then have a proper front three.

Or, go 4-4-2
Oh I agree mate. But that isn't the way that this manager does it. He has 2 sitting.

Dare I say that a proper 3 at the back doesn't involve a back 5 either. But it does with us.

Obviously it's never going to happen, but I'd be interested to hear a younger player talk about whether or not they learn anything from Rooney on a day to day basis. I know he was top drawer in his day, but in terms of setting an example, much of his off the field behaviour is a disgrace.

Not too sure about Baines anymore, either. Him and Jagielka have both been prominent figures in squads that have downed tools on multiple managers now.
Non football wise I would fully agree mate. But Rooney at his best was world class on the pitch, make no mistake, and he could pass so much of that experience on to the younger players. Despite him being an absolute tit off the field, he has probably been one of the most intelligent footballers of his generation.

Baines was also, at his best, arguably world class in his position. He was certainly the best in the premier. If we brought in a young up and coming left back I think it would be great for him to work with someone like Baines.

Screenshot_20180123-185345.webp

Announce PJAF

We aren't buying a LB. If we were, it would be done already.

Why do people say this?

The window is open for another week. Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean it won't be.

Sam himself has said we want a left-back. He's not that thick.

Think it's probably a case of needing to shift some out first as well, which is a whole other issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back