Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Europa League won't convince anyone, we got Lucas, Mina and Richarldson last summer without it. The Premier League is the draw.
As for extra revenue, the EL isn't that much, we don't need the Europa at all
Europa is the stepping stone to CL even if we get 16th in the PL and win the Europa we will get into the CL. European competition is by far the biggest draw for everyone when looking for a team beyond just the money they offer.

The biggest draw for players to the PL though is the amount of money they offer the players for weekly wages

Id be happy if our only signing was Gomes on a permanent deal to be honest.

If that prevents us from making other improvements, knowing that he's here all year, I think that's a mistake. I also think he's terrific, but I'm not so sure we don't want someone a bit more athletic at that position. Don't get me wrong, I'll take him, but not sure someone like Doucoure wouldn't be better.

The Europa League won't convince anyone, we got Lucas, Mina and Richarldson last summer without it. The Premier League is the draw.
As for extra revenue, the EL isn't that much, we don't need the Europa at all

You are crazy. The best teams offer euro footy. It's absolutely essential. It's not about the revenue, it's about the experience.

You are crazy. The best teams offer euro footy. It's absolutely essential. It's not about the revenue, it's about the experience.
So how did we get Mina? And Lucas? And Gomes, what is he doing here?
The Europa won't help at all, if we need that to attract players we have some serious failings from our scouting and DOF.
We play in the Premier League, it's one of the top leagues in the world, the Europa is meaningless in comparison.
The Champions league yes, but The EL, we've done that, it helped us attract no players of any note and didn't help us keep hold of anyone, players don't care about it.

The Europa won't help at all, if we need that to attract players we have some serious failings from our scouting and DOF.
We play in the Premier League, it's one of the top leagues in the world, the Europa is meaningless in comparison.
The Champions league yes, but The EL, we've done that, it helped us attract no players of any note and didn't help us keep hold of anyone, players don't care about it.

Eriksen agrees the tournament undermines a top-four challenge, and concedes his boss faces an unenviable task when it comes to managing his resources to keep Spurs competing strongly in England’s top flight and abroad.

However, the former Ajax man says he would have thought twice about joining Tottenham if they had missed out on a European spot two years ago.

“I’d rather play in Europe than nothing,” said the Danish midfielder. “Of course there are many games but if you have a big squad like we have I think it shouldn’t be a disappointment to play in Europe. A lot of players want to be in Europe.

“Is it a factor when it comes to signing players? I think so, it would be for me personally. I don’t know if it is for anybody else but I think so. Of course that will probably help the team and the club as well [if we qualify].

“I always wanted to play in Europe, to be seen there or in the Premier League, so it was a big chance and for me it was a good thing.

“Does it help you to finish in the top four if you’re not in Europe? Yes of course it does. I heard we’re one of the teams that has played the most games. But you only get better from playing so I don’t see an issue in playing. At the beginning of the year we can probably count that but later in the year we hope we’ll go to win it.”

They are expecting to be in Europe. They believe in the project, that's why they came here. The EPL is only sought after because of the money. No one in the world thinks the EPL is more prestiguous than say La Liga or Serie A. They surely didn't come here to be part of a mid table team. And absolutely the EL helped us attract players.

I'm not saying it's the greatest thing ever and that it doesn't come with it's own challenges, but I really think it's hard to claim you are an elite team without playing in Europe.

They are expecting to be in Europe. They believe in the project, that's why they came here. The EPL is only sought after because of the money. No one in the world thinks the EPL is more prestiguous than say La Liga or Serie A. They surely didn't come here to be part of a mid table team. And absolutely the EL helped us attract players.

I'm not saying it's the greatest thing ever and that it doesn't come with it's own challenges, but I really think it's hard to claim you are an elite team without playing in Europe.

As ive constantly said, players want to play in Europe, it helps them get better sponsorship deals, they get appearance money and it gives them a bigger platform.

As you say, the players have signed in the hope that we play in Europe.

Would Europa have kept Lukaku, Stones and Barkley? No, not at all, but CL might have given them something to ponder.

I like him but he always seems to underperform, hes consistently inconsistent. If hes available for loan until the end of the season then it would be a good move to see how he gets on. Chelsea will want a decent fee for him.

Think brands and Silva have other ideas up their sleeve though tbh. Before this season I was hoping we would get to see Walcott playing up front but his finishing has been garbage even off the wings. Richy and dcl have done well in the position and richarlison is certainly effective there and will only get more so the more experience he gets. Wouldn't be surprised if we brought in another winger and left richarlison up top for next season.

I think Ricarlison wants to stay up top
It’s the position that’s up for grabs in the Brazil team as he’s not replacing Neymar anytime soon
So maybe Brands won’t look for a CF

Given Chelsea's appealing waste of their youth system I'd be doing my best to recruit:
Reece James, right back on loan at Wigan.
Ethan Ampadu, as a sitting midfielder
Callum Hudson Odoi as a wide attacker.

All 3 good enough to start for us though CHO position means he would be less of a priority despite being the best.
If Ethan Ampadu becomes available we will be well down the list of clubs in for him
The lad is genuinely world clas

I think Ricarlison wants to stay up top
It’s the position that’s up for grabs in the Brazil team as he’s not replacing Neymar anytime soon
So maybe Brands won’t look for a CF

It's not like there aren't a lot of other positions to fill. However, when you are leading the league in crosses, it would make a bit more sense to have a CF that was better in the air. Willian Jose for me. Think he'd be a good fit.

But I still think RB is the bigger need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back