Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Europa League won't convince anyone, we got Lucas, Mina and Richarldson last summer without it. The Premier League is the draw.
As for extra revenue, the EL isn't that much, we don't need the Europa at all

The Europa leauge is quite highly regarded across Europe it's only in England where the fans don't seem to care about it. Also with it now being a way to get champions leauge, anyone not interested in it is fing mental!

It also give chances to rotate and use more of the squad like lookman, Kenny, Dowell and davies to further their development.

The Europa leauge is quite highly regarded across Europe it's only in England where the fans don't seem to care about it. Also with it now being a way to get champions leauge, anyone not interested in it is fing mental!

It also give chances to rotate and use more of the squad like lookman, Kenny, Dowell and davies to further their development.

I think Evertonians are on a downer with the Europa because we had to enter at such a low level and start the season in July last time. From the group stage onwards it's a pretty good competition .. I certainly enjoyed it when we were in under Bobby and played the likes of Lille and Wolfsburg, and if we weren't so rubbish last year Lyon and Atalanta would have been good games. I don't know where we would have to start from if we finish 7th this year though?

Sad thing is and I wouldn’t take a single one of these at Everton, but from those clubs mentioned, Murray, Mitrovic, Ings/Austin and Rondon are all better than our strikers.

:(

Their all also big lump target men who don't suit our style of play and if they did we'd have tosun who's better.

I really don't understand why people keep on mentioning dross like mitrovitc like he's some top quality striker. He turns like a bus and has the pace of a dead duck also his strike rate in the prem is shocking. If players like him worked in silvas team so would tosun and he doesn't.

Their all also big lump target men who don't suit our style of play and if they did we'd have tosun who's better.

I really don't understand why people keep on mentioning dross like mitrovitc like he's some top quality striker. He turns like a bus and has the pace of a dead duck also his strike rate in the prem is shocking. If players like him worked in silvas team so would tosun and he doesn't.
Tosun is nothing like Mitrovitic. It would be nice to have someone head in a cross and hold up play. We lead the league in crosses, constantly attack from wide areas, but have no finisher. Not the only way to play, but it would be nice to have that option.

While I agree they wouldn’t suit the way we play, they score way more goals than any of our strikers, therefore are better. And way better than Tosun I’m sad to say.

I love the mystique of Euro competition but last year's debacle proves that with a mediocre squad its nothing more than an unwanted distraction. I mean away at Limassol is hardly one to savour. If we had aspirations in other comps Europe would get sidelined as a result. Not a nay sayer it's just a pragmatic view.
It's a stupid view, how are we ever going to show any progress without European football, there's little to no chance of us getting into the champions League in the next couple of years so why wouldn't we aspire to play in the Europa, because it's a competition we could have a good run in if it's managed well and we have a good squad in place. More chances of winning anything is a bonus to me

There is too much stereotyping of the January window by all clubs. Every year now the same platitudes are trotted out in advance.

Surely the criteria should be the same as for the summer - if the right player is available now on acceptable terms, then we get them in now and avoid another club doing the deal later.

There may be less options but still good deals to be done. Especially with three weeks cut off the summer window.

I agree with trimming the squad further but that should act as a catalyst to get replacements in asap.

What I think is interesting is how it's viewed differently in England to Europe. Often it's seen as the solution to problems. Recruitment is seen as quite essential. "Just buy better players" sort of line. There are numerous reasons for this, the historic open window until March, having managers rather than the coach/DOF essentially splitting the role and also the fact the league now has massively more money than anyone else all factor in. However on the continent it's viewed very differently- as a bit of a distraction. You have your players at the start for the season and in all but an emergency you stick with them. Your right back struggling for form isn't seen as an emergency!

Reading Brands' interview you get a lot of interesting stuff from it. What struck me centrally though, was how he has a very European outlook to this window. Indeed you could argue he is central in cultivating that outlook. He sees the window as a difficult one to manage, one where prices are inflated and mistakes can be easily made. It's also a window where people get desperate and is in essence a window where people who have made mistakes previously can look to rectify them. The ideal of course is to avoid mistakes.

I don't see us going and spending a bundle on different players. I think Brands recognises buying the wrong players not only wastes money but also creates a problem when you need to try and move them on. It also takes opportunities away from younger players.

We are not under massive pressure this window. At least not to people running the club. We are not going to get relegated and we are not going to finish in the CL. There's very little incentive to invest heavily this window, unless a deal presents itself that is too good to turn down and may not be available in the summer. If a player fits that profile, we may make a move for him.

If I was a betting man I would say we will look for left field signings (similar to Lumin, which come out of nowhere) maybe the South American market or younger players.

Stay away from Wilson, done his knees twice and is over priced. Find someone younger and hungrier.

While I agree entirely that £50m would be ludicrous and we wouldn't pay it, the 'find someone younger and hungrier' shout is a bit odd.

Wilson is 26, and pretty sure his desire (to come back from two successive career-threatening injuries) can't really be questioned.

We won't go for him though. As Brands has said, we probably won't go for anyone in Jan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back