Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.

On a different not it's hilarious reading all the people who think we need a target man to play better. If that's how we plan on playing we might as well commit ourselves to never winning anything ever again. Which teams are playing a giant grock up top and winning things?

Having one as an option off the bench or otherwise is something that most clubs have in the PL including the top clubs with maybe an exception or two. When Leicster was packed in today, it would have been helpful. But just someone that could hold the ball up when its played into them with their back to the goal would be nice as Richy isn't quite there.

But yeah, I'm fine with Richarlison if we made a move for a better right sided attacker that values the ball. I would love another CM that can spell Gana and allow Silva to play his 4-2-3-1 and properly support wide attacks on each side. Would love a stud RB that can make better decisions with the ball and really fire in a cross. A proper CF would also allow Bernard to move out right, Walcott as backup, Lookman backs up Richy.

We just need help in several areas and it's going to take a couple winows to sort out without question. But picking up a player or two in January would be lovely.

Having one as an option off the bench or otherwise is something that most clubs have in the PL including the top clubs with maybe an exception or two. When Leicster was packed in today, it would have been helpful. But just someone that could hold the ball up when its played into them with their back to the goal would be nice as Richy isn't quite there.

But yeah, I'm fine with Richarlison if we made a move for a better right sided attacker that values the ball. I would love another CM that can spell Gana and allow Silva to play his 4-2-3-1 and properly support wide attacks on each side. Would love a stud RB that can make better decisions with the ball and really fire in a cross. A proper CF would also allow Bernard to move out right, Walcott as backup, Lookman backs up Richy.

We just need help in several areas and it's going to take a couple winows to sort out without question. But picking up a player or two in January would be lovely.
Going down the list City and Liverpool really don't have a big center forward on the bench, Spurs have Llorente but he's played about 50 minutes total this season, Chelsea have decided the last few weeks that they're better off starting Hazard up top but they do have the Giroud option, Arsenal don't have a player like that and United have Fellaini. So that's really 2 out of 6 and none of the current top 3 teams who have separated themselves. My opinion is Richarlison can be very good up top and we need to unlock that with better play in midfield and out wide.

My other thought is we should try our hardest to move on from 4231 unless we have some new way of playing it that allows us to be more of a threat through the middle. I'd like to see us move to more of a 433 with one deep midfielder and wingers who come inside and don't hug the touchline as much. I thought Marco said originally that he would prefer that too but I don't think we have the players for it currently.

Going down the list City and Liverpool really don't have a big center forward on the bench, Spurs have Llorente but he's played about 50 minutes total this season, Chelsea have decided the last few weeks that they're better off starting Hazard up top but they do have the Giroud option, Arsenal don't have a player like that and United have Fellaini. So that's really 2 out of 6 and none of the current top 3 teams who have separated themselves. My opinion is Richarlison can be very good up top and we need to unlock that with better play in midfield and out wide.

My other thought is we should try our hardest to move on from 4231 unless we have some new way of playing it that allows us to be more of a threat through the middle. I'd like to see us move to more of a 433 with one deep midfielder and wingers who come inside and don't hug the touchline as much. I thought Marco said originally that he would prefer that too but I don't think we have the players for it currently.
Spurs have Kane, too, and Chelsea started Giroud up front this past week. Lukaku is big enough, even if he isn't a true target guy.

We aren't really playing a 4-2-3-1 in the way Silva wants to play it unfortunately. I think he is playing more of a 4-3-3 in the way that you described with Gana in the back. RIcharlison and Walcott we thought would be the inside type forwards, with Digne and Coleman providing attacks and service from the outside. Coleman isn't capable of it unfortunately. Gomes also just isn't quick enough to truly play it that way as we keep giving the ball away and he can't stop the counter. It's really all Gana, but at least Gomes takes care of the ball.

But it's obvious we can't take care of the ball enough to break down a side that is packed in. Poor decisions and passing skills combined with poor athleticism is a complete disaster.

I'm going to be honest and say there is little to no point in signing any more players until the manager can use the ones he has.
and Keane

That's just it though, we have the players that we bought in the summer plus Pickford and Keane and they are pretty much the entire first choice players we have at the club and possibly Coleman.
Whenever we need to rotate players let's be honest, there isn't a lot to choose from and this just highlights the negligence of our recruitment policy for years. We have a massive squad of which nearly all of them aren't good enough to be playing football at this level and so there is very little the manager can do to change things.
We need 4-5 players for the first team just to make a regular starting 11 and then we need cover as well.
This all started with Brown Shoes and was then followed by the perfect storm of Koeman/P.E. guy, but at least in Marcel Brands we have a D.O.F. that actually recognizes what sport we play at Goodison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back