Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I agree it'll be tough getting one but Abraham has played only last season in the prem and didn't do well... Would rather take a gamble on an established in a good league striker

Would honestly go for batshuayi who we should have got when we sold lukaku

Batshuayi not pulling up trees in Valencia, though, mate. With that said I liked him prior to that and certainly wouldn’t say no to a loan with a view to buy if Chelsea recall him.

It is ALMOST as if all transfers are a gamble and a lot depends on the combination of player/club/manager involved.

People shouting down Abraham but spouting that we need a “proven goalscorer”: Like Chelsea did when they signed Torres/Shevchenko? Or United did when they signed Falcao?

There is no guaranteed route to success but I’d suggest £18m on a young forward who is tearing up the league below is far less of a risk than some overpriced foreign player with a sexy name just because half the GOT forum blam in their kecks over his YouTube video.

Aye all transfers are a gamble.

But signing a player who has struggled once before in the league is not quite the same. You can argue this lad was in a relegation fight that season sure, but that then falls back into the Steve walsh way of doing transfers which has filled out squad full of crap and put us in this position to begin with.

Whereas our best performers this season and for a good while now have all been from club's who haven't played in relegation battles, in fact ones that have played at the highest level.

That's the difference in transfers.

Abraham and Iheanacho are both good and I'd have either of them at Everton.

They're 21 and 22 respectively, player development/progression is not linear

True, but then when one failed in the league once before and the other is struggling to break into his current team then you have to ask why, if they are so good to begin with?

Lewen for example is exactly the same as them and isn't good enough to play up front for us due to ability or lack of experience. Point being, why gamble on players you know are struggling at this level on the hope they come good here? At least gamble on a striker who is doing well

Maximum of 4 loans (only 2 at any one time) between PL clubs and no more than 1 from the same club.

No idea about loans from foreign clubs but a few of the reports say we would have to sign Gomes permanently first.

Cant see anything in this one then

Didn't Watford have a load of loan players from same foreign club before?

disagree completely, we NEED a striker, going out and gambling on another one is suicide

There’s not a purchase that ISN’T a gamble. Every single transfer is a gamble, I just think this would be one worth taking. The lad is obviously talented. You said yourself, we NEED a striker but you don’t want to gamble on another. Tell me, who would you suggest then that isn’t a gamble?

Aye all transfers are a gamble.

But signing a player who has struggled once before in the league is not quite the same. You can argue this lad was in a relegation fight that season sure, but that then falls back into the Steve walsh way of doing transfers which has filled out squad full of crap and put us in this position to begin with.

Whereas our best performers this season and for a good while now have all been from club's who haven't played in relegation battles, in fact ones that have played at the highest level.

That's the difference in transfers.

True, but then when one failed in the league once before and the other is struggling to break into his current team then you have to ask why, if they are so good to begin with?

Lewen for example is exactly the same as them and isn't good enough to play up front for us due to ability or lack of experience. Point being, why gamble on players you know are struggling at this level on the hope they come good here? At least gamble on a striker who is doing well

Can’t quite agree with that, mate.

Pickford was POTY last year after being relegated. Gueye has been one of our best players since signing from a relegated club and Sigurdsson has been one of our better players this year after leaving Swansea.

I get where you’re coming from generally but Abraham has come through the Chelsea ranks; his loan at Swansea was just that, and not indicative of that being “his level”
Necessarily.

Ultimately, the scarcity of players available in Jan coupled with the ridiculous asking prices from clubs that can smell our desperation is going to make any striker deal very hard. I see Abraham as someone who would be relatively cheap in today’s market, would take little or no integration into the culture and could HOPEFULLY bring some of his Champo form up with him.

Can’t quite agree with that, mate.

Pickford was POTY last year after being relegated. Gueye has been one of our best players since signing from a relegated club and Sigurdsson has been one of our better players this year after leaving Swansea.

I get where you’re coming from generally but Abraham has come through the Chelsea ranks; his loan at Swansea was just that, and not indicative of that being “his level”
Necessarily.

Ultimately, the scarcity of players available in Jan coupled with the ridiculous asking prices from clubs that can smell our desperation is going to make any striker deal very hard. I see Abraham as someone who would be relatively cheap in today’s market, would take little or no integration into the culture and could HOPEFULLY bring some of his Champo form up with him.

Personally I dont consider him any different to DCL, thats the problem, they both have the same "will they, wont they" feel about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back