Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keane has been our best defender this season. He was terrible last season and people can't seem to get over that. I think mina will end up being our best defender for what it's worth but so far this season Keane has without a doubt been our best defender.
Again, I accept the differing opinion but disagree. How anybody could think Keane has been better than Digne I have no idea but everyone's entitled to their opinion I suppose, even if it's absolutely batshuayi crazy,

Again, I accept the differing opinion but disagree. How anybody could think Keane has been better than Digne I have no idea but everyone's entitled to their opinion I suppose, even if it's absolutely batshuayi crazy,

Buy defender I ment cb. Obviously digne has been better this season, he's been our best player this season.

I can see both sides of the Batshuayi proposal. On the one hand he fits what we have been trying to do since Brands came on, notably find players between the ages of 23-25 who because of a recent drop on performance are available for a reasonable reduction in price. On the other side I can see the concern that he is limited in aspects of his game and in truth he is not a sizeable improvement on what we have, or likely to become a world class striker.

It's difficult. I would love us to make a move for Werner. However we are very unlikely to be able to attract him. We are a long long way off being one of the top 6 teams. If you look at Arsenal currently, they are a long way off competing with some of the other teams in that bracket, and they are comfortably a top 6 side. There does have to be a degree of realism. If we can get an improvement on the team, then for now that might be as good as we can get.

The other side of that is that you can't keep going for punts. In essence Walcott was a bit of a punt. He filled a hole for 6 months but the became a problem. There is the potential Batshuayi does the same.

I do not think we will pay close to £40million for him. While £14 million seemed a steal, if we can settle anywhere below £25 million I would say it's a pretty fair price and would say Chelsea have done quite well out of the deal. I can't see many others coming in and bidding anywhere more than that.

I have my doubts, but if Silva can turn him around akin to Digne or Gomes then he will do well for us.

I suppose when all the journalists posted that he was on offer for 14m, their source must have said 40m but the phone line broke up and they thought "no way has he just said 40m, so they must have said 14m" and ran with the story

Reminds me of this newspaper correction

BEST-NEWSPAPER-CORRECTION.jpg

Save from the time your 20s
Don’t spend money on tattoos , piercings , holidays , festival , social drug taking at the weekends , clothes and man bags , don’t tap your card for skinny white lattes and cream cheese and salmon bagel for lunch ( bring your own )
Work every hour you can for 2 years and save every week like clockwork
That’s what we did and got a mortgage with a 15% interest rate
It ain’t easy and nothing was handed to us on a plate and we didn’t make excuses

So have literally no life experience but have a house. I’d prefer to get a house a bit later and go mental in my 20s.

Agreed but from CBs Keane has been the best. Would you agree L mate?
Truthfully, I would find it difficult to say.

Firstly, saying 'our best centre half' basically comes down to whether or not he's been better than Zouma, because Mina's not played enough to be part of the conversation really, so even if he has it's not exactly a massive achievement. Keane has probably looked steadier than Zouma, but then I think Zouma could play with Mina or Jagielka and do OK while Keane's lack of pace and recovery skills could cause us a massive problem if he didn't have Zouma next to him.

I've said before, Keane is not absolutely dreadful - it's not like he should be in League One or anything - but in my opinion he simply doesn't have the skills to be anything better than 'decent'. I think this season is him at his best, and seeing as he makes a balls up virtually every week that doesn't fill me with confidence.

I know Moshiri said we are going to target players 25 or under from now on but with regards to the striker problem we just need to buy someone with proven quality who can give us 2-3 years. Not only would this solve our striking problem I also believe this type of player would bring the best out of Sigurdsson and allow Richarlison to go back on the left where he is most effective. Who this striker is I'm not sure but if someone of the requisite quality is available and they are 27-30 I would still say sign them as they could make the vital difference. Lookman/Bernard/Walcott battling for the place on the right with 2 of them joining DCL on the bench and we would have game changers as well. Right Back and Centre Midfield can follow the age plan but this one position is so essential we just need it done.

Not to be contrary on purpose, but Lukaku gave us 4 good years from 20-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back