Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its late, last serious post, nothing that surprised me in this deadline. I liked the way we stared PSG down. Sets a precedent. Other clubs wil know that Brands has stopped us being such a soft touch in the transfer market.

It's entirely naive to think we'd get a player like Werner when you look at other clubs who will be after him.

No harm trying.
Nothing to lose if we tried and fail.
Move on to the next. Don’t understand this we can’t and we stop trying mindset.

Marcel Brands(December 2018):
Marcel Brands has explained why a “pitbull” talent spotter is now leading Everton's scouting operation in Europe.
And the Blues' director of football says Gretar Steinsson shares his belief that no transfer target should be seen as “impossible” to sign.
Brands appointed Steinsson as the club's new chief European scout earlier this month as part of a recruitment revamp which has seen chief scout Martyn Glover moved to chief UK scout.
The Dutchman has created a “leaders” group in the department who will meet on a weekly basis so Brands can keep on top of the players Everton are monitoring.
Everton are understood to have six scouts working under Steinsson, as well as one in South America and a number of domestic-based members of the team.
Steinsson is the newest member following his switch from Fleetwood Town where he was technical director and Brands says the pair are cut from the same cloth.
“He's like a pitbull, if he sees something and wants something he goes for it, which is a little bit like my character,” Brands said.
“I like to have those kind of people around me because I have done a lot of transfers in the past where people have said: 'That is impossible' and even now, the people didn't expect players from Barcelona.
“I wanted people around me who also believe in those kind of things. We will not always succeed but if you don't go for it then you will never succeed
and Gretar is such a guy and he is a people's man, a team player and doesn't have an ego and wants to work with other people. He started two weeks ago and has already met three international scouts because he was travelling and I like that.”

Especially if any spending is hamstrung due to our ridiculous wage bill
Sniderfraud is worth max 50k a week at any other club in world football.

He is not going to leave us when it will cost him 70k every week. He is here for the duration of his contract

Same with bolasie and Sandro and a few others

No harm trying.
Nothing to lose if we tried and fail.
Move on to the next. Don’t understand this we can’t and we stop trying mindset.

Marcel Brands(December 2018):
Marcel Brands has explained why a “pitbull” talent spotter is now leading Everton's scouting operation in Europe.
And the Blues' director of football says Gretar Steinsson shares his belief that no transfer target should be seen as “impossible” to sign.
Brands appointed Steinsson as the club's new chief European scout earlier this month as part of a recruitment revamp which has seen chief scout Martyn Glover moved to chief UK scout.
The Dutchman has created a “leaders” group in the department who will meet on a weekly basis so Brands can keep on top of the players Everton are monitoring.
Everton are understood to have six scouts working under Steinsson, as well as one in South America and a number of domestic-based members of the team.
Steinsson is the newest member following his switch from Fleetwood Town where he was technical director and Brands says the pair are cut from the same cloth.
“He's like a pitbull, if he sees something and wants something he goes for it, which is a little bit like my character,” Brands said.
“I like to have those kind of people around me because I have done a lot of transfers in the past where people have said: 'That is impossible' and even now, the people didn't expect players from Barcelona.
“I wanted people around me who also believe in those kind of things. We will not always succeed but if you don't go for it then you will never succeed
and Gretar is such a guy and he is a people's man, a team player and doesn't have an ego and wants to work with other people. He started two weeks ago and has already met three international scouts because he was travelling and I like that.”

May as well go for Messi then.

Not so fast, Bungle! Or I'll fill you so full of lead that you'll be using your [Poor language removed] for a pencil

giphy.gif

When you sit down and mull it over Toff, we really are up cack creek because it's not a given that we'll be able to get rid of the likes of Schneiderlin and Bolaise in the Summer.

I know. Which is why - at least in Bolasie's case - we have managed to get him out on loan.

Villa covered his wage. I doubt Anderlecht can afford 70k p/wk but I imagine they paid a decent enough loan fee.

Martina is going to Feyenoord in the summer so he's off the books. I'd imagine it was a case of them covering his wages and then they'll pay a tiny fee at the end of it to secure the permanent transfer.

But yeh, it's going to be a slog.

May as well go for Messi then.

Knew you will say this. Messi is destine to finish his career at Barcelona. Whereas Werner is most likely not signing a contract extension at his current club.

My point is, we haven’t sign anyone this window is because a proper target is lock in the summer, and in my eyes a proper target shouldn’t be someone at the level of Tosun and Walcott, both decent, but hardly groundbreaking. The next level of players have to be the world of Werner etc. If we are not pursuing such level we might as well stick with Tosun.

Doesn't help that we never play him like

He's hardly in the shop window is he?

He's at the back, buried under a load of other crap that no one wants

Same with Utd, awful attitude after a bright start and then launched in the reserves. The only difference is we had some absolute bellend in charge who worked with him and another grade A tit who gave him a huge contract

Knew you will say this. Messi is destine to finish his career at Barcelona. Whereas Werner is most likely not signing a contract extension at his current club.

My point is, we haven’t sign anyone this window is because a proper target is lock in the summer, and in my eyes a proper target shouldn’t be someone at the level of Tosun and Walcott, both decent, but hardly groundbreaking. The next level of players have to be the world of Werner etc. If we are not pursuing such level we might as well stick with Tosun.

But Brands and Steinson said no transfer is impossible?

It's cute what you're saying but it's completely ignoring the fact that other more attractive options than us will be after these players. Werner is not some unknown gem anymore. Every team will want a player like him in it.

Brands will need to be a lot cleverer than that. Yes, we can offer a good wage....eventually, but personally I don't want players coming here for the wedge anymore. It achieves nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back