Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lookman and Schneiderlin would be a completely unacceptable window IMO
I disagree. A top target who the manager wants to replace an aging barry, a youngster for the future, and we have hopefully seen the back of cleverley and niasse.

so even right now a 2 in 2 out scenario compared to our usual 1 crap in is better. The fact the youngster already outscored kone in the league so far, and he has been here 4 minutes.

He was ok, nothing near what you'd expect for 25m, and certain will only return half the player he was, which will be absolutely nowhere near the standard we need! Get rid when he's fit, no room for sentiment.

Sounds like I'm one of the few who actually tought he was good. He is one of those players that can create something out of nothing. Often it goes wrong, but then again when it works he creates a big goalscoring opportunity. It's of one these players that a team should have, being able to create something when its hard to get goalscoring chances.

We still don't have any acceptable cover for Lukaku if he gets injured, so that's a must. I would also like to see that Kid from City come in, with Jags going the other way to help his old boss out at Sunderland. That for me would be a great transfer window

Lookman and Schneiderlin would be a completely unacceptable window IMO

Why?

There are a limited amount of players available in this window. Peers won't want to weaken a perceived position against us, poorer sides won't risk the threat of relegation by jettisoning their best players. So the chaff from the higher placed sides is generally all we can look at.

Even with money, any development and growth will be organic. You can only sign players at the level of the club, occasionally you'll grab a higher level guy - but you're generally shopping in a limited marketplace.

Look back at Chelsea and Man City post investment (and bear in mind they had abundantly more money than we have, plus the benefit of a far better infrastructure) and see how long it took for them to get it right and slowly morph from lower/mid table sides into challengers. There was a lot of player transition as they upgraded and upgraded and upgraded.

We're not going to sign the top players from Champions League clubs, as they simply won't join Everton at this stage. We have to buy from a pool of players which, whilst not the bargain bins any longer; is still a limited and considerably over-priced share of the market.

It's moving in the right direction - I'm already frustrated at the negativity from people who think we have an immediate right to dine at the top table just because we have cleared the interest from our debts off. Patience.

As usual with Everton, I set my bar low.
I would have been ecstatic and considered the transfer window a huge success if we'd brought no-one in and got rid of Niasse, Kone, and McGeady permanently. We are not there yet as all three are still on the books though two of them are at least out of sight now. The two additions are welcome nonetheless.

We still don't have any acceptable cover for Lukaku if he gets injured, so that's a must. I would also like to see that Kid from City come in, with Jags going the other way to help his old boss out at Sunderland. That for me would be a great transfer window
Valencia is not a like-for-like striker, but I believe he could do the job if paired with Mirallas up top.

Why?

There are a limited amount of players available in this window. Peers won't want to weaken a perceived position against us, poorer sides won't risk the threat of relegation by jettisoning their best players. So the chaff from the higher placed sides is generally all we can look at.

Even with money, any development and growth will be organic. You can only sign players at the level of the club, occasionally you'll grab a higher level guy - but you're generally shopping in a limited marketplace.

Look back at Chelsea and Man City post investment (and bear in mind they had abundantly more money than we have, plus the benefit of a far better infrastructure) and see how long it took for them to get it right and slowly morph from lower/mid table sides into challengers. There was a lot of player transition as they upgraded and upgraded and upgraded.

We're not going to sign the top players from Champions League clubs, as they simply won't join Everton at this stage. We have to buy from a pool of players which, whilst not the bargain bins any longer; is still a limited and considerably over-priced share of the market.

It's moving in the right direction - I'm already frustrated at the negativity from people who think we have an immediate right to dine at the top table just because we have cleared the interest from our debts off. Patience.

Have to agree, there's not much quality knocking around in January and no one really has strengthened this window.

The summer window is where we really need to get what's needed and that means we get in early with our targets already lined up and not a repeat of the debacle we saw last summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back