Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
out stones 47 million

In Bolasie 22 million
Williams 12 million
Gueye 7.2 million
Stek- Buttons, less than a million
valencia - knowing us 2 million loan fee.

The three actual transfers all happened withing 2 weeks of selling stones as well. Mate, there is why anyone believes we are still sell to buy.

oh and if we are building a new stadium, it will revert back to being skint/sell to buy there as well to pay for it.

Must admit it did seem convenient that the transfers started moving straight after Stones was sold, disregarding the Witsel, Mata, Carvalho and Koubially bids really wonder if any of those ever had a realistic chance of going through.

Must admit it did seem convenient that the transfers started moving straight after Stones was sold, disregarding the Witsel, Mata, Carvalho and Koubially bids really wonder if any of those ever had a realistic chance of going through.
The cynical in me says the fact we sent bill kenwright to negotiate pretty much tells you all you need to know about serious bids or not.

Carvalhio was paper talk, witsel i'm willing to believe, mata was only kept alive on here, koulibaby seems a bit convenient, planned to spend big money on him then didn't spend it on anyone else for the next 6 weeks?

The cynical in me says the fact we sent bill kenwright to negotiate pretty much tells you all you need to know about serious bids or not.

Carvalhio was paper talk, witsel i'm willing to believe, mata was only kept alive on here, koulibaby seems a bit convenient, planned to spend big money on him then didn't spend it on anyone else for the next 6 weeks?

Why would the Napoli bossman mention us if we were never on for him? That's the key on that one for me.

The others I can see the cynicism and understand it. We are Everton. We make phantom bids.

January is the opportunity for Moshiri and gang to show their true ambition. The summer shambles will be quickly forgotten and considered an early teething problem if we get it right in January and do it without having to sell.

I half agree on Koulibaly but, Napoli's president himself has confirmed we bid on two separate occasions (as in he'd confirmed it twice, not that we bid twice).

They didn't want to sell.

But yeh, it would have been apt to spend that money on more players towards the end of the window, though we were very close to spending half of it...

Why would the Napoli bossman mention us if we were never on for him? That's the key on that one for me.

The others I can see the cynicism and understand it. We are Everton. We make phantom bids.

I half agree on Koulibaly but, Napoli's president himself has confirmed we bid on two separate occasions (as in he'd confirmed it twice, not that we bid twice).

They didn't want to sell.

But yeh, it would have been apt to spend that money on more players towards the end of the window, though we were very close to spending half of it...

Address it to both of you.

Perhaps we did bid for Koulibaby. No reason for Napoli to lie about it.

BUT

To bid on a player and get told not for sale, so then bid again? To create this 'we tried to sign him but couldn't' scenario which we haven't before. To create an illusion we were planning on spending big and then not spending at all? That is what i question, not the failed/phantom bid as such but the fact we then didn't identify any other player really bar Perez to sign, which was nowhere near that levels of investment. So essentially the money then didn't appear, and if it doesn't next month then it is a case of did it ever really exist? More so if we build a new stadium as all our money will funnel into that.

Whereas i do believe we wanted Witsel, would have been a bargain for a midfielder as good as him, and i believe 100% it was him that stopped that deal. Not being cynical for the sake of it, happy to buy into that story.

BUT

To bid on a player and get told not for sale, so then bid again? To create this 'we tried to sign him but couldn't' scenario which we haven't before. To create an illusion we were planning on spending big and then not spending at all? That is what i question, not the failed/phantom bid as such but the fact we then didn't identify any other player really bar Perez to sign, which was nowhere near that levels of investment. So essentially the money then didn't appear, and if it doesn't next month then it is a case of did it ever really exist? More so if we build a new stadium as all our money will funnel into that.

Whereas i do believe we wanted Witsel, would have been a bargain for a midfielder as good as him, and i believe 100% it was him that stopped that deal. Not being cynical for the sake of it, happy to buy into that story.

No that's not the case mate as far as I understand it. We enquired as to Koulibaly's price. Napoli said £60m. We offered £60m, they didn't sell.

But yeh it's always better to be a tad cynical with anything Everton.

out stones 47 million

In Bolasie 22 million
Williams 12 million
Gueye 7.2 million
Stek- Buttons, less than a million
valencia - knowing us 2 million loan fee.

The three actual transfers all happened withing 2 weeks of selling stones as well. Mate, there is why anyone believes we are still sell to buy.

oh and if we are building a new stadium, it will revert back to being skint/sell to buy there as well to pay for it.

We spend about £5/6mil net when you factor in Stones' sell-on fee

I am 100% certain that Williams was done the week before Stones left.

Why the deal going through had to wait, I'm not sure.

Had it gone to plan he'd have been in by the Friday before Stones was sold (which I believe was the following Monday IIRC).

BUT

I do understand this scepticism and I certainly think that's how we operated under Kenwright. However the reason I am doubtful it continues is it is not a very effective and professional way to operate. It is humiliating for the club, demoralising for the staff and bewildering for the fans. It only makes sense as a strategy if you are looking to pull the wool over people's eyes and desperately create illusions that you are doing a better job than you are, and you are the victim of unfortunate circumstance.

I don't get this from Moshiri. If that's all he wanted to do then why buy into Everton to begin with? In all seriousness, if you are so clueless to not know how to invest or grow a brand why invest in it? The same could be asked of Kenwright but we know he bought it, like most of us because he's an Evertonian. That's not true of Moshiri.

I think on buying Everton Kenwright very quickly found himself out of his depth, financially and in terms of acumen and rather than being honest about it built a hard luck narrative to try and enact sympathy from supporters and also the wider footballing public. We became reduced to a pathetic homeless man begging for kindness. Part of covering up for his lack of plan was putting in unrealistic bids to blame bad luck when they inevitably didn't come off.

As I state I find it hard to believe a multi-billionaire businessman like Moshiri will operate along that route. Kenwright's game and business was acting, whereas Moshiri's is hard business sense. We do have to accept the premise that we may have experienced some genuine bad luck this window, allied to some mistakes and a challenging window. We changed our manager and the way we recruit people as well as getting in a DOF. We were unlucky that by all accounts Napoli and Porto pulled the plug last minute and Sissoko had a change of heart. We made mistakes because we ultimately targeted people out of our price range and then left it too later to be negotiating with difficult clubs.

On deadline day do you think we were in for Sissoko & Brahimi? For me the interest felt a lot more concrete than anything under Kenwright. Had we added them and say Gabbiadini that may have been close to 85 million spent. Had Kone wanted to move it would have exceeded 100 million. The mistakes of last window were poor application as opposed to no money. But we'll see in part this window I suppose.

We spend about £5/6mil net when you factor in Stones' sell-on fee

Still nothing really lol

I am 100% certain that Williams was done the week before Stones left.

Why the deal going through had to wait, I'm not sure.

Had it gone to plan he'd have been in by the Friday before Stones was sold (which I believe was the following Monday IIRC).

My memory seems to be all over the place on it, but google tells me the news stories broke a day apart, stones left 9th, williams announced 10th august.

not how i remember the summer if i am honest but there you go.

I do understand this scepticism and I certainly think that's how we operated under Kenwright. However the reason I am doubtful it continues is it is not a very effective and professional way to operate. It is humiliating for the club, demoralising for the staff and bewildering for the fans. It only makes sense as a strategy if you are looking to pull the wool over people's eyes and desperately create illusions that you are doing a better job than you are, and you are the victim of unfortunate circumstance.

I don't get this from Moshiri. If that's all he wanted to do then why buy into Everton to begin with? In all seriousness, if you are so clueless to not know how to invest or grow a brand why invest in it? The same could be asked of Kenwright but we know he bought it, like most of us because he's an Evertonian. That's not true of Moshiri.

I think on buying Everton Kenwright very quickly found himself out of his depth, financially and in terms of acumen and rather than being honest about it built a hard luck narrative to try and enact sympathy from supporters and also the wider footballing public. We became reduced to a pathetic homeless man begging for kindness. Part of covering up for his lack of plan was putting in unrealistic bids to blame bad luck when they inevitably didn't come off.

As I state I find it hard to believe a multi-billionaire businessman like Moshiri will operate along that route. Kenwright's game and business was acting, whereas Moshiri's is hard business sense. We do have to accept the premise that we may have experienced some genuine bad luck this window, allied to some mistakes and a challenging window. We changed our manager and the way we recruit people as well as getting in a DOF. We were unlucky that by all accounts Napoli and Porto pulled the plug last minute and Sissoko had a change of heart. We made mistakes because we ultimately targeted people out of our price range and then left it too later to be negotiating with difficult clubs.

On deadline day do you think we were in for Sissoko & Brahimi? For me the interest felt a lot more concrete than anything under Kenwright. Had we added them and say Gabbiadini that may have been close to 85 million spent. Had Kone wanted to move it would have exceeded 100 million. The mistakes of last window were poor application as opposed to no money. But we'll see in part this window I suppose.
#

Honestly mate? Don't think we were ever really in for Berhimi. Just seems to be another fernando/negredo type deal that we all believed to be real before it just turned to nothing.

Gabbiadani i could see having interest, needed a back up to perez and he was mentioned a fair bit. Sissoko, yes i do believe we panic bid for him, but ala valencia, a player we didn't want to sign but kenwright being in charge just panicked.

Time will tell if Moshiri is different, have always maintained i can only base my opinion of things on the here and now, not the what could be's, which right now, the summer played out exactly how it normally does. It could change, it could change next month or next summer, and i really hope it does change. But then at the same time as mentioned once the spades in the ground in regards to the stadium, then sell to buy becomes real again, so if this bigger budget does not materialise before then, it would be very easy to keep thinking that nothing has changed, when the club sold us the tag 'nothing will be the same'.

In terms of our interest, i think it was still bargain hunting tbh, which in the case of the players linked and any truth in them, wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Witsel certainly a bargain if he had come here and as you say you think we had more interest in other players. I'm personally not buying what if's anymore from the club, and if that makes me very cynacle as a result then so be it. I don't believe it was bad luck in the summer, but if there was truth in the stories and whatever else, i believe one of the main factors would have been Kenwright being a terrible negotiator.

....yes, it was one of my concerns when the window closed.

My understanding, however, is there are 2 aspects to transfer governance. Firstly, the transfer fee and secondly the salary. The noises indicate we have no problem meeting transfer fees but the second is a factor under fair play rules. More specifically, the total amount of salary paid is dependent on club income. Once the Stones transfer went through it significantly improved the scope of salary we could pay, hence a number of deals happened.

I also understand we haven't exhausted the Stones windfall so we need to exploit that as it will end once this window closes. I'm sure somebody will point out if I have this wrong.

....yes, it was one of my concerns when the window closed.

My understanding, however, is there are 2 aspects to transfer governance. Firstly, the transfer fee and secondly the salary. The noises indicate we have no problem meeting transfer fees but the second is a factor under fair play rules. More specifically, the total amount of salary paid is dependent on club income. Once the Stones transfer went through it significantly improved the scope of salary we could pay, hence a number of deals happened.

I also understand we haven't exhausted the Stones windfall so we need to exploit that as it will end once this window closes. I'm sure somebody will point out if I have this wrong.
Yeah mate, we have to use the wages up this window or we lose the bonus of them.

Which is why i can see rooney being loaned to us, we have the wages to spare even at half wages from united and we get rooney for a few months,

Still nothing really lol

My memory seems to be all over the place on it, but google tells me the news stories broke a day apart, stones left 9th, williams announced 10th august.

not how i remember the summer if i am honest but there you go.

News broke that we had bid/agreed terms for Swansea on August 1st (it was a Monday evening).

I know for a fact that after initially agreeing the deal in principle for £8mil (the fee reported on Monday 1st Aug), Swansea went back on the deal and demanded more money.

We re-bid (and I said this on here at the time) later that week. We never put in another bid, and terms with Williams were agreed very quickly.

However, as you correctly say, the deal didn't get completed until after Stones was sold, but as I said we never went back in to Swansea with a third bid. They accepted the second one we put in (which to my knowledge from the 'source' I got it from, was submitted on either the 3rd or 4th of August).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back