Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Address it to both of you.

Perhaps we did bid for Koulibaby. No reason for Napoli to lie about it.

BUT

To bid on a player and get told not for sale, so then bid again? To create this 'we tried to sign him but couldn't' scenario which we haven't before. To create an illusion we were planning on spending big and then not spending at all? That is what i question, not the failed/phantom bid as such but the fact we then didn't identify any other player really bar Perez to sign, which was nowhere near that levels of investment. So essentially the money then didn't appear, and if it doesn't next month then it is a case of did it ever really exist? More so if we build a new stadium as all our money will funnel into that.

Whereas i do believe we wanted Witsel, would have been a bargain for a midfielder as good as him, and i believe 100% it was him that stopped that deal. Not being cynical for the sake of it, happy to buy into that story.
I believe they would have let him go but then they sold their star striker for £75 million so there was no way they were selling after that

I believe they would have let him go but then they sold their star striker for £75 million so there was no way they were selling after that
Possibly,

although stories at the time was that the owner fell out with him or something, 135 million and chance to rebuild their entire team? Don't think even we would turn our noses up at that!

Possibly,

although stories at the time was that the owner fell out with him or something, 135 million and chance to rebuild their entire team? Don't think even we would turn our noses up at that!
They were willing to sell him at a high price but changed their minds after the backlash from the fans about selling Higuain. To sell their best player and then their2nd best player would have been a bridge to far and Napoli knew it. So that's when they said not for sale.

They were willing to sell him at a high price but changed their minds after the backlash from the fans about selling Higuain. To sell their best player and then their2nd best player would have been a bridge to far and Napoli knew it. So that's when they said not for sale.
That is a fair point yeah, like us selling rom and ross at the same time

#

Honestly mate? Don't think we were ever really in for Berhimi. Just seems to be another fernando/negredo type deal that we all believed to be real before it just turned to nothing.

Gabbiadani i could see having interest, needed a back up to perez and he was mentioned a fair bit. Sissoko, yes i do believe we panic bid for him, but ala valencia, a player we didn't want to sign but kenwright being in charge just panicked.

Time will tell if Moshiri is different, have always maintained i can only base my opinion of things on the here and now, not the what could be's, which right now, the summer played out exactly how it normally does. It could change, it could change next month or next summer, and i really hope it does change. But then at the same time as mentioned once the spades in the ground in regards to the stadium, then sell to buy becomes real again, so if this bigger budget does not materialise before then, it would be very easy to keep thinking that nothing has changed, when the club sold us the tag 'nothing will be the same'.

In terms of our interest, i think it was still bargain hunting tbh, which in the case of the players linked and any truth in them, wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Witsel certainly a bargain if he had come here and as you say you think we had more interest in other players. I'm personally not buying what if's anymore from the club, and if that makes me very cynacle as a result then so be it. I don't believe it was bad luck in the summer, but if there was truth in the stories and whatever else, i believe one of the main factors would have been Kenwright being a terrible negotiator.

Thanks for answering my questions mate and I think there's a lot of truth in that. The transition from Kenwright to Moshiri for me hasn't happened quickly enough. That is a major criticism of Moshiri who seems a loyal man, but his loyalty to Kenwright will corrode his authority. The longer he keeps him around the more difficult it is to make Everton a top team. As I indicated above Kenwright had neither the money nor the expertise to compete so developed a victim mentality that the world of football was horrible and we stood against it. If he hangs around he will undermine any attempts to upgrade the club form within as he knows he will have no role to play in that. What is important to note though is there needs to be a faster transition, this for me is different to saying they are exactly the same. For there to be a transition there needs to be a difference in methods and approaches to transist too.

I do want to make one point clear, that the summer window was not a positive. It was a complete farce right up there with any Kenwright presided over. I think the important point to note though is why it was so bad? On the face of it it does look very similar, selling our bets player, only recruiting after that and basically spending what we bring in with a list of hard luck stories at the end.

That may be the case of course. That nothing has changed. I think there's an awful lot of bluff from Moshiri though, both bidding for Witsel, Koulibaly and then having bids accepted for Perez, Sissoko and Brahimi. All of the above bids felt very different to Kenwright bidding 6 million for Alan Smith on the club website the day after Manchester United had a bid of 7 million accepted. It felt more serious with a greater intent. The same conclusion came in the end but it's important to see we took a different road.

My feelings towards Moshiri are currently that he is different to Kenwright. Where Kenwright lacked expertise and funds this guy has both. The issue for me is how quickly he is making the transformation. We were led to believe a further investor would be coming in but currently no signs of that. We are also looking at bolstering the board with names like David Dein and Gilroy mentioned, both would make a big difference yet the movement there hasn't been sufficient yet. January will be a big moment for us, Walsh needs to earn his corn and we need to recruit players with the Stones profit under FFP.

The cynical in me says the fact we sent bill kenwright to negotiate pretty much tells you all you need to know about serious bids or not.

Carvalhio was paper talk, witsel i'm willing to believe, mata was only kept alive on here, koulibaby seems a bit convenient, planned to spend big money on him then didn't spend it on anyone else for the next 6 weeks?

That scan of his passport was my favourite bit of the transfer window.

....yes, it was one of my concerns when the window closed.

My understanding, however, is there are 2 aspects to transfer governance. Firstly, the transfer fee and secondly the salary. The noises indicate we have no problem meeting transfer fees but the second is a factor under fair play rules. More specifically, the total amount of salary paid is dependent on club income. Once the Stones transfer went through it significantly improved the scope of salary we could pay, hence a number of deals happened.

I also understand we haven't exhausted the Stones windfall so we need to exploit that as it will end once this window closes. I'm sure somebody will point out if I have this wrong.

Yes we have this January to a maximise this. If we don't and we have the same reasoning next summer of "we can only increase our wage by bill by 7 million + profit" and we missed out on using the Stones money effectively I will be asking some serious questions.

News broke that we had bid/agreed terms for Swansea on August 1st (it was a Monday evening).

I know for a fact that after initially agreeing the deal in principle for £8mil (the fee reported on Monday 1st Aug), Swansea went back on the deal and demanded more money.

We re-bid (and I said this on here at the time) later that week. We never put in another bid, and terms with Williams were agreed very quickly.

However, as you correctly say, the deal didn't get completed until after Stones was sold, but as I said we never went back in to Swansea with a third bid. They accepted the second one we put in (which to my knowledge from the 'source' I got it from, was submitted on either the 3rd or 4th of August).

hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahh

A NEW AFTER-TIMING ITK EMERGES

SILLY SEASON HAS REALLY BEGUN NOW BOYZ

We are all hoping that January is going to change our fortunes (myself included) lets hope so!! A change of system might be whats needed to get us through until Jan without anymore real damage. At least then we will know who needs binning out the club, as of now there is still question marks over a couple of players.
GK CM ST are a must in January though regardless....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back