Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, one. He might get injured tomorrow night. Then what?

He might not though...

You can't get any striker who is actually worth their salt to come and sit on the bench (which is what they'd be doing) midway through the season, joining a club who hasn't got any cup games to even rotate for.

I'm not saying we shouldn't try, but realistically the quality that would be on offer for that kind of role is exactly what we have now.

Valencia.

People are always banging on about having another striker but name me one team outside of the top four that has two reliable strikers?

Liverpool don't particularly, though Mane and Firmino are their biggest threats.

Spurs don't - not really.

And the rest of the league don't have either.

Problem is, you also have to find a striker that will play a backup role. Most players egos won't allow it. The only team I've seen that had a striker by committee situation (where all of them were real quality) was City with Aguero, Dzeko and Balotelli. Sooner or later the egos will clash

Exactly.

I'm not saying we shouldn't try, but the best we'd get at this stage in a season for that role would literally be somebody of Valencia's quality.

So what's the point???

People are acting like we have secured 7th place in the league (we haven't), that we can't possibly finish 6th (we can) and that Rom isn't critical for our ability to score goals (he is). It is obvious to anyone with eyes that we need another striker (I happen to think we need a striker and a creative forward player) and have done for some time. I agree that at this point in a window we're probably screwed on that front but we have had two windows to sort this and we haven't. That's my gripe. We are two injuries (Rom and another outfield player) from major selection problems. Never mind though we've already finished 7th. Oh, wait.

Somebody has pointed this out a few times but of our last 13 goals scored in league and cup Rom has scored four of them.
He's vital, of course, but the reason we've started winning games is others are finally chipping in.

Now, my point is that I'd rather us go for another player to improve the first team rather than this mythical 'back up' that you keep preaching about that you think will guarantee goals. They won't - that's why they'd be available at this stage in a season and it's why they'd be brought in as 'back up' - just like Valencia.

qpOZy31QB2uLAFudkToQ

Come on Everton... do something...

He might not though...

You can't get any striker who is actually worth their salt to come and sit on the bench (which is what they'd be doing) midway through the season, joining a club who hasn't got any cup games to even rotate for.

I'm not saying we shouldn't try, but realistically the quality that would be on offer for that kind of role is exactly what we have now.

Valencia.

People are always banging on about having another striker but name me one team outside of the top four that has two reliable strikers?

Liverpool don't particularly, though Mane and Firmino are their biggest threats.

Spurs don't - not really.

And the rest of the league don't have either.
They have better options than Valencia!! He couldn't even get on the West Ham bench. Leicester have Vardy and Slimani. I'd take a player like Son at Spurs over Valencia any day of the week. The RS have Sturridge and Origi, and while I don't think they're fantastic they're better than Valencia. They also don't rely as heavily on their cf's as we do with their system. I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again, if Rom is out of the team we are going to struggle to score. There doesn't seem to be a plan B. Valencia, Mirallas, DCL none if these can lead the line for us if Rom gets injured.

Well it looks like the is no strikers available because walsh has had 5 months in the job and resulted in Belfodi and Enner

Depends whop is available doesnt it? Its not wise to just sign anyone.

The Gabbiadini one is a bit odd though. We wanted him for 20-25M in the summer and now he is going to Southampton for 14M?

Id be going all out for Scott Hogan myself.

Reactions: BD1
They have better options than Valencia!! He couldn't even get on the West Ham bench. Leicester have Vardy and Slimani. I'd take a player like Son at Spurs over Valencia any day of the week. The RS have Sturridge and Origi, and while I don't think they're fantastic they're better than Valencia. They also don't rely as heavily on their cf's as we do with their system. I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again, if Rom is out of the team we are going to struggle to score. There doesn't seem to be a plan B. Valencia, Mirallas, DCL none if these can lead the line for us if Rom gets injured.

And why would 'Son' leave Spurs to sit on our bench ???

Why would any really good striker do that ??

We are not in Europe, and not even n any cups!!!

25 Mil then with addons splitting hairs

We paid a fair bit for Bolasie. He will go down as a bad signing as he got an awful injury.

When he was fit though he was very good. He was assisting at a rate of 1 every 3 games which is as good as anyone in the league. He was also managing this when we were playing poorly. In the current team I suspect these numbers will have been improved.

Everyone makes bad signings but let's be frank here, before Bolasies injury he was not one who falls into that category.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back