Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest I don't think about potential names by and large as just a punter. 99% of transfer links are just jarg anyway and I doubt the powers that be are looking to GOT and other forums for suggestions.

We have Walsh and Koeman and a small army of other people whose job, amongst other things, is exactly to come up with names. The amount of manhours spent compiling scouting reports and the array of technology available to assess all aspects of a potential signing must be mind-boggling.

One thing they are not short of is names, the ability to pay for those signings is another thing entirely.
Well swerved my friend haha

I think the point that is being made mate is all those above us need something:

City- CMs, GK, Full backs etc
Utd- a LB, a holding midfielder, possibly a striker
Chelsea- a striker
Liverpool- everything
Spurs- a striker

So if these clubs have gone out looking at the market and don't think there's value, how can we?

Is there any point in signing players that wouldn't get in the spurs team? Because that's the next level down.

That's a very good point, and that's what I meant about how Koeman is operating.

Our primary targets weren't available? Okay, but we aren't gonna go out and get any old player.

People saying we should have got a forward in - but what's the point if they weren't an improvement on Valencia?

I'd have liked Gabbiadini, as I think in this current system he'd be very good as that second-striker, but I ain't devastated we didn't go for him.

Just a question, but I think you'll find they knew who they wanted, but they simply weren't gettable in January. It's really no big deal.

Ye maybe....I just feel it was a massive chance to break the top 4. If we beat stoke tonight were 8 points off second. 8..... honestly we should have done whatever it took to get the players we wanted.

I sought no such permission, nor made any such attack. And you don't get to tell me who has earned my respect.

Filling thread after thread with the same agenda-driven, contrarian, WUM trolling is not respectful towards other forum users. It does not adhere to the basic courtesies expected from forum users. You may find it acceptable but a cursory review of the responses engendered suggest that the majority think otherwise.

One reaps what one sows.
I like how you have flipped this around. Congrats.

My message is clear to be heard. If you don't like it, thats cool, but you have to abide by it.

And now....back on topic.

Sky have a lot to answer for. They've created this myth that unless you buy players on deadline day you're club is a failure. If we had done no business all window and then on the last day cleared out the deadwood and signed Schneiderlin and Lookman it would have been hailed a success. Especially as Schneiderlin went down as the most expensive player signed all window.
I have no doubt we looked at what was available, asked about good players like VVD and Keane, maybe looked at Rooney's situation and obviously had the chance to sign Depay and that striker who's name i won't attempt to spell but decided the asking price to get them this month clearly wasn't the risk.. I don't see the problem. Players that could/would take us to that next level weren't available so what would have been the point throwing millions at players who would have just taken up space on the bench when we have perfectly good youngsters doing well and deserving of a chance. Martinez filled the squad with dross - we've cleared most of that away now making room for new BETTER players in the summer. If that doesn't happen i think people are well within their rights to start asking questions but right now we are doing well, the squad is better than it was at the end of December, we're comfortably 7th and as someone said above win tonight we're 8 points off second which i think is closer than 2nd is to 1st.
Get Rom and Barkley to sign new contracts to perk everyone up and get us a mega stadium on the river..... HAPPY DAYS

Wow.......

Just wow.....

So because they've not improved its fine that we havn't. You've been done by to many years of kenwright mate...

Wake up call..!!!!! All teams above are better and have better squads. Wasn't this the perfect time to catch up with a few quality signings.
Who are these quality signings you speak about??

VVD non starter with cup final.

Names

Anyone moaning, I'd like you to pick even one player who moved this month who you're gutted we didn't get and would have satisfied you. One.

We signed 2 players who will contribute first team minutes, and we binned of several that wouldn't have played. Net gain, and save millions in wages we can redistribute. You're a strange one Mr. Grinch.
Wrong. He signed two players that will get game time because the manager will pick them; he got rid of several players that he wouldn't have played.

There's a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back