Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the 'first team' squad that ended last season (left), finishing 11th: Squad now, currently 7th (right)

1. Robles --- 1. Robles
2. Hibbert --- 2. Schneiderlin
3. Baines --- 3. Baines
4. Gibson --- 5. Williams
5. Stones --- 6. Jagielka
6. Jagielka --- 8. Barkley
7. McGeady --- 9. Kone (I think?)
8. Oviedo --- 10. Lukaku
9. Kone --- 11. Mirallas
10. Lukaku --- 12. Lennon
11. Mirallas --- 14. Bolasie
12. Lennon --- 16. McCarthy
14. Niasse --- 17. Gueye
15. Cleverley --- 18. Barry
16. McCarthy --- 19. Valencia
17. Besic --- 21. Besic
18. Barry --- 22. Stek
19. Deulofeu --- 23. Coleman
20. Barkley --- 25. Funes Mori
21. Osman --- 26. Davies
22. Pienaar --- 29. Calvert-Lewin
23. Coleman --- 30. Holgate
24. Howard --- 31. Lookman
25. Funes Mori
27. Browning
32. Galloway

Trimmed the fat. Got rid of the deadwood, and replaced effectively 8 tosh players with some smart acquisitions.

That's how you build a squad.

In hindsight, the one mistake is Galloway. The loan looked a good idea at the time, but has back-fired. That's a shame.
Sorry, you make smart acquisitions by buying players for positions you urgently need filled. Only then do squad bonfires make sense. It's not about numbers out versus numbers in.

We are exposed for quality and experience at both FB positions; we have a dire need to get a better CB pairing together; our flanks look exposed now given long term injury and inexperience; we have no creativity around Lukaku; we have no cover for Lukaku; we have two bang average GKs.

THAT is a major rebuilding job right there. No amount of comparing of lists of players old and new is denying that.

Erm...he's had two windows. This summer SHOULD have seen the renewal complete...now we are miles off.

I'm not sure I agree mate.

The summer window was used to plug immediate gaps that he felt we needed, while he assessed what we already had.

The january window was used to get rid of the people that were wage vacuums, perpetually sicknotes or just not good enough - which Kone aside, he has largely done.

What he has left in the main now is the players that he wants. He also has the U23s to tap into - which he has done.

This coming summer will be the one to truly judge him on.

Oh I do agree on Oviedo though - should have kept him to cover Baines, but I am sure he has a plan should anything happen.

The summer window was used to plug immediate gaps that he felt we needed, while he assessed what we already had.

The january window was used to get rid of the people that were wage vacuums, perpetually sicknotes or just not good enough - which Kone aside, he has largely done.

What he has left in the main now is the players that he wants. He also has the U23s to tap into - which he has done.

Oh I do agree on Oviedo though - should have kept him to cover Baines, but I am sure he has a plan should anything happen.

This pretty well sums it up for me.......

So much stupidity and outright logical error in this post. Not spending? We broke our transfer record you muffin. Also, you're assuming we would have won against Leicester if schniderman was on the pitch... What?

Hmmmmm, I'm sorry I must of missed the point when we spent over 28 millon on a player. You've either totally miss read part of my post or you are unawear of our top transfer.

Koeman seems to think that we would of beaten leicester. He said as much in his post match interveiw.

Oh btw its lukaku for £28 million just in case you didn't know:coffee:

It's amazing that the same people bemoaning lack of opportunity for the under 23s in the same breath slam Koeman for not bringing in players to push them out.

And that's all fine by me - as long as it works.

That's the point I'm trying to make, I don't want them to just spend money for the sake of it, but nor do I want to hear excuses after every window as to why we couldn't improve the side.

We assume that we couldn't sign Keane in January because Burnley wouldn't sell (we don't know this, just to be clear). But what if they won't sell in the summer? Or what if they will, and he goes elsewhere? Do we have a back up plan? We wanted the lad from Nice (again, I don't have any evidence of this but we'll go with it) but why would they be more likely to sell in the summer than now? And if they did why would he be more likely to move, seeing as they look likely to be in the CL?

In the summer we couldn't sign players because Walsh was new in the job, there were regulations to comply with, and everyone wanted CL football, in January it's because nobody will sell their players. I think all people are concerned about is the same thing happening in the summer, and the whole thing proving to be another false dawn. As I say, I'm not suggesting that's my own opinion, but I don't think those who are that way inclined should be mocked and scorned the way some people are doing.

I know what you mean here, but anybody expecting us to do loads of business in January was being naive. It just doesn't happen. I don't think the club or anyone there need to take any flak for the business we've done in January. I don't think they escape criticism for the summer though - there were some big errors towards the end of the window and whether Walsh had only been here a relatively short time or not, we publicly failed with ambitious bids for the likes of Witsel and Koulibaly and then also failed to land the likes of Perez, Gabbiadini, Sissoko, Ghezzal etc. Whoever was responsible for that did poorly.

There will be no excuses this summer - we should hopefully have European football next season, we'll need a bigger squad, most of the dross has already gone and there's a reasonable chance that Kone, Lennon and Jags will all follow in the summer so we will need bodies - we will probably promote a couple of kids (which is welcome), but I don't think anybody would accept a failing like the last summer window.

Sorry, you make smart acquisitions by buying players for positions you urgently need filled. Only then do squad bonfires make sense. It's not about numbers out versus numbers in.

We are exposed for quality and experience at both FB positions; we have a dire need to get a better CB pairing together; our flanks look exposed now given long term injury and inexperience; we have no creativity around Lukaku; we have no cover for Lukaku; we have two bang average GKs.

THAT is a major rebuilding job right there. No amount of comparing of lists of players old and new is denying that.

Still work to be done.

Realistically, though, the level of quality player we're aiming for isn't available half-way through a season.

The one player of that quality that was available for a position we urgently needed quality in, we did sign...

Why: Was that Watford game not a master class in how NOT to defend?

Odd that you have to dredge back to that game, when we've played 7 league games since and only conceded 5 goals.

In fact we've only conceded 2 in our last 5 league games (both being at Hull) with the other 4 games being clean sheets.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel with you today.

And that's all fine by me - as long as it works.

That's the point I'm trying to make, I don't want them to just spend money for the sake of it, but nor do I want to hear excuses after every window as to why we couldn't improve the side.

We assume that we couldn't sign Keane in January because Burnley wouldn't sell (we don't know this, just to be clear). But what if they won't sell in the summer? Or what if they will, and he goes elsewhere? Do we have a back up plan? We wanted the lad from Nice (again, I don't have any evidence of this but we'll go with it) but why would they be more likely to sell in the summer than now? And if they did why would he be more likely to move, seeing as they look likely to be in the CL?

In the summer we couldn't sign players because Walsh was new in the job, there were regulations to comply with, and everyone wanted CL football, in January it's because nobody will sell their players. I think all people are concerned about is the same thing happening in the summer, and the whole thing proving to be another false dawn. As I say, I'm not suggesting that's my own opinion, but I don't think those who are that way inclined should be mocked and scorned the way some people are doing.

I'm very confident Burnley told us to do one mate.

Clearly, we can't be overly confident that they will in the summer but, Keane has turned down a new deal. Unless something drastically changes on that front, he'll be 'available' come July.

And with Plea (lad from Nice) I reckon it's because they're in the midst of a title challenge mate. The player in question hasn't agitated for a move by the looks of it so they held the aces. We did bid though, and a sizeable amount (been told both £10mil and £13mil - not sure if that was two separate bids, or if that's just conflicting info on one bid).

We may well have other targets lined up come summer. We might try for VVD for all we know though I just can't see it.

Think it was a good window - lots of dross out the door and good quality additions in the form of Lookman and Schneiderlin. Donkor looked more than handy for the U23s on Monday too so hopefully we have already negotiated a price for him. Disappointed about Geri going but Koeman obviously doesn't rate him or has got fed up of his alleged attitude problems. The next four months will give Koeman more opportunity to assess the youngsters and hopefully see which ones will help us through the early rounds of the europa next year (fingers crossed).

Moshiri seems to have got a handle on increasing our commercial revenue streams which affects what we can spend and we have let players go on loan so any fees got in the summer will also affect the amount that we can spend again. Think we have been quite savvy and there has been a complete lack of big signings from anyone so for once the line that 'the players we wanted just weren't available' looks to ring true.

Hopefully we have sorted a first option with Sunderland for Pickford. Then one of or both of Keane and VVD, an ace door unlocker and a good quality back-up to Lukaku (who I think will stay), along with Aaron Creswell returning to the NW as back up to Baines and we suddenly have a very strong squad with a British core and with room to improve.

I dont see any eror there, tbf.

Williams: not shone. But has been our best CB all season
Schneiderlin gives us not that much extra. You know this after watching all those games he's played for us already.
Holgate WAS already established Nope. Have another look how many games he'd played prior to this season.
A Davies would not at that age for that position have been bought by Koeman. Not one single manager in the league would actively pursue a lad his age for that position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back