Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes:

Deulofeu and Oviedo should have been kept (we now have no senior cover at either LB or RB. The point is though we needed players IN.

fair enough mate, think oviedo was desperate to go(1st team football at sland! he must of been) so i would have liked to have signed a young left back, similar situation with deulofeu i think

I agree completely with this, but I think the thing to remember is that pretty much everybody agrees with this. Nobody wants us to go out and sign dross just so we can say we did, the argument that this is what people want is completely redundant, despite it being dragged out repeatedly at the end of every window.

What people want is more deals like the Schneiderlin one. They want the manager and board to have identified targets, and to get them in by paying the fee and wages that will secure their signings. People see that we were interested in Belfodil, they know that the manager mentioned Depay and Keane, and they wonder why we haven't been able to go out and buy those players, or others like them. Of course it's not easy, I don't think anybody's saying it is - but nor is it impossible.

I'm genuinely not concerned by our lack of signings, the season is all but over and I've said all season that 7th would represent a decent return in my opinion. I can see why some people are bothered though. It's definitely fair to say that we are lacking in certain areas, and we have now failed to address that in two windows under this regime, despite supposedly having an obscene amount of money to spend (from the owner's own mouth) and bringing in a new head of recruitment. It's easy to say we'll just do it in the summer, but last summer people were saying we'll just do it in January - and we didn't. It's not difficult to understand why people may be a little edgy and wonder why the summer window should be any better than the last two.

And I agree with that completely mate.

But, it circles back to the same point.

We got Schneiderlin (a player of that quality) as he was 'cast-off' at United.

But, that's a rare thing.

And while no, it's not impossible, we offered big money for the Nice forward and we made our interest in Keane known.

Depay, I think we backed away from the deal once Lookman arrived and showed his stuff. Why spend £20m on a player when we've just signed a £10m lad who could have a similar impact?

Burnley didn't want to sell Keane. But the difference is we didn't panic. Okay, we've got four CBs, plus Pennington at a push.

We have the cover and experience to get us through. We offered for Keane but they said no way. We'll go back in the summer.

To me it shows we have our level and now Koeman refuses to budge below it. To an extent he did in the summer with Valencia and, while I don't think he minds having Valencia here, he wasn't going to do it again.

I too understand the concerns, but the squad is stronger now than it was.

We have maybe let one player too many leave (Oviedo) without the cover in that role, though FWIW Koeman seems more than happy to play the youngsters if needed, which can only be a positive.

GK - yes, we'll go for one in the summer. None are available in the middle of the season, you know that.

RB - we have Holgate and Kenny.

LB - yes, agree. We'll go for one in the summer.

CB - same as above. Most likely Keane in for Jags I think is the 'first choice'.

Playmaker - yeh, this or a more 'creative' winger, who could operate as either a 10 or a 7/11.

SS - yes, but again, the required quality wasn't there. Plea was bid for, Belfodil was agreed. Nice didn't want to sell and Koeman wasn't convinced on Belfodil.
Exactly: a MAJOR rebuilding urgently required between June and September...and that is for starting places mostly.

Exactly: a MAJOR rebuilding urgently required between June and September...and that is for starting places mostly.

Which is what summer windows are for.

Not January windows.

January is for tweaks.

We've made the best signing in the PL by bringing in Schneiderlin.

He's the best player to have moved between, to or from, any PL club this window. Hands down.

Good job there's 12 months to go until next January eh?
Imagine, a whole summer free from the distraction of international tournaments for Everton to acquire the players required for the next step.
January is; and always has been a stop gap, a pit-stop. It is not the time for a club with serious aspirations of anything other than avoiding relegation to undertake volume transfer business You know this as well as anyone Dave. It seems like you're just playing to the crowd here.
I dont think they need much persuading that we have a hell of a road back to replenishing this squad given the waste of time in the last two transfer windows.

I just scratch my head and wonder wtf £70M went on when we now have a threadbare squad to show for it.

lol

Even by your standards that's ridiculous Dave.

So we just get more bodies behind the ball, when the opposition are attacking, what a novel idea, I think that's called defending mate.

Oh and btw we've only conceded 23 league goals this season, the 4th best in the division behind Chelsea, Spurs and United.

That compares to 32 and 34 conceded at the same point in the previous 2 seasons, not improved the defence? hahahaha, ok mate x
Have you seen those Keystone cops defending this season? Do me a favour: go and watch the Watford game just as one example then come back here and tell me this defence is sorted.

Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back