January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
tend to agree on that the only caveat would be just how close VVD is to Koe man, from comments the other day about speaking all the time then it seems to go a lot further than we would have thought. Logic would suggest city, Chelsea etc would go for him, but if they didn't then pretty sure the rs won't at least not at the price it'd take, which leaves the door slightly ajar.
Reports this morning that Kompany will leave city in the summer as he is not part of Peps plans. VVD would be the perfect replacement for him and also plays the Pep style comfortably bringing the ball out of defense. I think we have a small chance but if City and Pep come calling for him then its sadly a no brainer for him... We need to table a bid at the first opportunity to have any chance of getting him.

Reports this morning that Kompany will leave city in the summer as he is not part of Peps plans. VVD would be the perfect replacement for him and also plays the Pep style comfortably bringing the ball out of defense. I think we have a small chance but if City and Pep come calling for him then its sadly a no brainer for him... We need to table a bid at the first opportunity to have any chance of getting him.

Agree with that, city and Chelsea both seemed heavily after cbs plying there trade in Italy during the summer, bid in January and see what happens, and make sure it's not a typical Everton stupidly low offer, saint will sell if the money offered is enough, and 40m or thereabouts on a cb there's no chance Liverpool and klopp will sanction that.

Reactions: JLW

Still think pep wants bonucci mind, a more experienced head alongside stones and /or laportshould he manage to get him, is Virgil that experienced player you think?

tend to agree on that the only caveat would be just how close VVD is to Koe man, from comments the other day about speaking all the time then it seems to go a lot further than we would have thought. Logic would suggest city, Chelsea etc would go for him, but if they didn't then pretty sure the rs won't at least not at the price it'd take, which leaves the door slightly ajar.

I'm fairly confident he won't go anywhere in January mate.

Be one of those players that all the hype is about going into/through the window but ultimately nothing will happen.

That being said, should that be the case and he is at S'ton come next summer, then if we are in a reasonable position to be attracting a player of his quality we should be all over him.

After his Lukaku comments I imagine Koeman is telling VVD to sign for a better team rather than wasting his career

Unless he tells him to join us and he will take him to barca ( lol )

Still think pep wants bonucci mind, a more experienced head alongside stones and /or laportshould he manage to get him, is Virgil that experienced player you think?
Lets hope so!

Ye he has a lot of experience, and seems to be getting better the more experienced he becomes. He has been playing against some very good strikers in the PL for that last couple of years and in the Europa league.

Laporte has a release clause of £52mil, Koulibaly will be available i think lower than the £60mil supposedly rejected in the summer because Napoli are in 7th.

Carvalhos us £42mil...Neves has one for £31mil...bernardo silva seems to have one for £21mil.

Surely these numbers are what we were told we had bid in the summer for other players so why not just meet the release clauses for them and at least try and tempt them?

Double swoop for Pickford and Watmore, apparently.

16 in by Friday the 13th of January.

IMG_3936.webp

@BlueToff

What we should have done is bid for VVD in the summer once Napoli told us that Koulibaly wasnt for sale.

Carvalho would have made a massive difference to us as well and if we were bidding £30mil for Sissoko then he wasnt out of reach either.

Now i think he must go for players he knows very well if only to just change the mentality at the club and have guys who know what he wants and deliver.
Agreed. We should have spent 10 million on him the summer before instead of Mori. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

@BlueToff

What we should have done is bid for VVD in the summer once Napoli told us that Koulibaly wasnt for sale.

Carvalho would have made a massive difference to us as well and if we were bidding £30mil for Sissoko then he wasnt out of reach either.

Now i think he must go for players he knows very well if only to just change the mentality at the club and have guys who know what he wants and deliver.
The time to bid on VVD was while he was at Celtic.
Seem to remember quite a few on here rubbishing him because he was plying his trade in Scotland , therefor must be crap.
Theres some fountains of knowledge on here at times.

I've heard a few people mentioning that you don't get good value in January, I could argue that judging by the summer you can't their either.

What I'm getting at his how can you quantify what 'value' represents in the transfer market at any time? It doesn't matter how much or how little you pay for a player, it doesn't guarantee he will be a success.

Take Bolasie, If he won us the league or even got us a CL spot, would his £££ be considered good value? Of course it would; If he hardly gets any assists or goals then he's not been good value.

So my conclusion is, stop worrying about costs in January because until the season finishes you won't know if a signing has been good value.

I was going to start a thread for this but probably not worth it so stuck my musings in here.

Laporte has a release clause of £52mil, Koulibaly will be available i think lower than the £60mil supposedly rejected in the summer because Napoli are in 7th.

Carvalhos us £42mil...Neves has one for £31mil...bernardo silva seems to have one for £21mil.

Surely these numbers are what we were told we had bid in the summer for other players so why not just meet the release clauses for them and at least try and tempt them?

Sporting were reluctant to sell Carvalho because I think adrien silva was being looked at too. Hard for sporting to sell two of their key players in one window.

The good thing about January is that the CL groups are decided, so if your out of that cup then you may consider joining another team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back