Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the impression that we don't actually do any business until the transfer window opens.

It is almost like they sit around compiling names together and scout reports, decide the players they want to sign. Take the rest of December off for a massive Christmas holiday and reconvene on January 3rd before picking the phone up and then low balling the first player on the pitch and hope to god that works.

Then if by some chance it works, move onto player 2 and hope it gets done in that time.

Someone needs to tell the club they are allowed to ring other clubs up before sky sports tells them to.

So who would you play instead of? Cos I think its unreasonable to think we will sign 5 first team players this window.

Lennon. Or Gerry if he had a lung transplant.
Don't know too much about Lookman, but in our position there's no harm playing him for half the season without pressure

I'd take Wilshere. Better than McCarthy, imo. Wouldn't go over 20m though.

To be fair mate, how come you know what his opinion is better than he/she ?

What are you on about? The poster said IMO (in his opinion) Wilshere is better than McCarthy. I joked that i don't think it's just his opinion. I mean, its like saying IMO Messi is better than Naismith. Climb down off your high horse. Jeez.

How many years ago did those two things happen? Hardly indicative of his current usefulness. His form for Bournemouth however IS indicative...

Wenger sent him on loan to get matches precisely because his fitness is now a HUGE question mark. I've not seen anything that suggests Wenger wishes Wilshere wasn't at Bournemouth, but I'll happily be enlightened if you can point me in the right direction.

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.
He said it in the last 48 hours

After Koeman's comments yesterday I can't help but wonder what happened with Joe Hart in the summer. It sounds like the deal was all but done and then we pulled out. Was that because of money? A disagreement with walsh? Or did they just change their minds?

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ilshere-to-leave-arsenal-for-bournemouth-loan

Asked if he regretted allowing Wilshere to leave, Wenger said: "Yes, I could use him now.

"But if he had not played until now, he would not be ready to play now. What looks unfair at some moments in the season is that you know at some stage you could need the player.

"But even at the start you need to have the right balance between competition and numbers and chances for the player to play. And still today I think it was the right decision for him to go."
@blue to the bone , @evertony - is this what you were talking about?

After Koeman's comments yesterday I can't help but wonder what happened with Joe Hart in the summer. It sounds like the deal was all but done and then we pulled out. Was that because of money? A disagreement with walsh? Or did they just change their minds?

Supposedly it was on the advice of the goalkeeping coach who told Koeman Stekkers was fine as no1

For me we should be adding something like the following:

Giuseppe Hart
Kevin Strootman / Morgan Schneiderlin
dembele from Celtic
And a centre half of the calibre of Manolas or VVD

Those are all realistic in terms of cost and in terms of the next level player we can attract

And, if we really wanted to push the boat out add Cesc Fabregas.

That's about £100M plus Cesc plus wages. If we really are on a "project" then let's do it with a sense of purpose, show our intent and make people sit up and notice. We've got half a season left to build some momentum, try formations etc as we're out of the cups and not in any relegation threat. Use the time wisely.
I like that list, and I agree that it's realistic... but we'd need to ship out at least five players to make room on the wage bill and in the 25-man squad. We've certainly got some dead wood I'd happily see leave, but who's going to buy Gibson, Rodriguez, McAleny etc etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back