Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me we should be adding something like the following:

Giuseppe Hart
Kevin Strootman / Morgan Schneiderlin
dembele from Celtic
And a centre half of the calibre of Manolas or VVD

Those are all realistic in terms of cost and in terms of the next level player we can attract

And, if we really wanted to push the boat out add Cesc Fabregas.

That's about £100M plus Cesc plus wages. If we really are on a "project" then let's do it with a sense of purpose, show our intent and make people sit up and notice. We've got half a season left to build some momentum, try formations etc as we're out of the cups and not in any relegation threat. Use the time wisely.

:eek::eek::eek:

Whatever happened to the one line teasers from the likes of Esk and the Mole guy from last summer? At least lack of movement was a bit more interesting when they threw a few words out an heads fell off everywhere.

I like that list, and I agree that it's realistic... but we'd need to ship out at least five players to make room on the wage bill and in the 25-man squad. We've certainly got some dead wood I'd happily see leave, but who's going to buy Gibson, Rodriguez, McAleny etc etc?

Realistic leavers with interested buyers I reckon would be:

Mirallas
Cleverley
Jagielka
Gibson
plus fringe players and if necessary Gerry, Aaron or James Mac.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, we need to ship some out in that bracket...we don't have enough lockers at USMFF

For me we should be adding something like the following:

Giuseppe Hart
Kevin Strootman / Morgan Schneiderlin
dembele from Celtic
And a centre half of the calibre of Manolas or VVD

Those are all realistic in terms of cost and in terms of the next level player we can attract

And, if we really wanted to push the boat out add Cesc Fabregas.

That's about £100M plus Cesc plus wages. If we really are on a "project" then let's do it with a sense of purpose, show our intent and make people sit up and notice. We've got half a season left to build some momentum, try formations etc as we're out of the cups and not in any relegation threat. Use the time wisely.
Hart has already played for 2 teams this season, so wouldn't be able to turn out for anyone else until next season.

Hart 15m
Stroot/Morgs 24m
Dembele 25m
Manolas/VVD 45m+

Cesc LOLm

God good man, Hart is doable, Morgs, the rest, no chance at all.

Why are Dembele, Manolas and Strootman not doable? All aren't in the very top bracket and we apparently have cash to burn. All three are playing outside the 2nd richest league in the World behind China so wages will be much more attractive than elsewhere. We should be able to compete with the top 6 for these signatures baring in mind they'd definitely be regular starters here. If we carry on thinking 'average' then we'll carry on being average. How many laughed when we said we'd buy Lukaku?
Fabregas is not guaranteed a place at Chelsea these days. We need a marquee signing. The biggest 'hole' we have is a creative lock-picker who can undo the tight defensive set-ups that the majority of teams set up with. I'm not suggesting he'd fall over at the chance to come here, but if we carry on looking at the Snodgrasses, the Mirallas,s and the Stekelenbergs of the World then we'll be staying right where we are now....7th or lower.

We have to break this cycle of getting in avaerage players.

It was in the Echo a couple of months ago mate. I posted the link ages ago. Greg O'Keefe was talking about the issues we have ( after another Stekkers cock up ) and said we had a deal in place with Hart but Koeman pulled the plug on the advice of our goalkeeping coach.

Wow....that's bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back