January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there some rule which says lower league teams cannot produce excellent players ?
When have we become so good that we can turn our noses up at a system which has brought Lescott,Stones,Holgate, Galloway Cahill and Coleman to the club to name just six.

We loan our best young talent to lower league clubs to help their development and a lot of very talented youngsters will choose to start at a lower league club in spite of far better offers as many believe they have a far better chance of making the grade than being in the academy of top premiership teams where only the absolute cream will get a chance and only if they are lucky.

...plus foreign players come into the lower leagues and can really make a name for themselves.

The suggestion that we shouldn't sign players from the so called lesser teams or leagues, is ridiculous to me. In fact, I believe that at this point this is the way to go for us. It has been said before at least 1000 times - the winners and the world beaters have at least 10 choices before they even consider us. There are gems at the lower levels, plenty of them, we just have to find them at the right time.
Having said that - I watched Will Hughes today. I know it is not wise to judge a player by a single performance but I am convinced that he, at least, is no better than what we have. It will be extremely stupid if we pay like 15 mln to hinder the progress of Tom Davies who is a better player.

More than a decent chance the club is operating with a specific amount each transfer window/season set aside for specifically targeting young players from the lower leagues - long term wise would be a very good strategy, have the money aside each season with the remit that it's used to bring in players for the academy and emerging talents like Ali, Stones, Holgate, Lookman etc

Then have the amount for strengthening the first team, and in an ideal world their is some crosover with young players brought in who are ready quickly to step into the first team set up.

Would think that a good Director of Footy would think that way anyways.

Out of the likely relegated clubs I would try cherry pick few of their players
Hull - Robertson
Swansea - Sigurdsson
Sunderland - Pickford/Kone

No way mate, he plays for Charlton so he's never going to make it. Some people have no clue. £10 mill for a top young prospect is nothing these days. Blackburn paid £8mill for Jordan Rhodes in 2012 - fee's have gone through the roof since then.
Because he plays for chalton as a teenager he won't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back