Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
BARCA would never have let him go were he showing any chance of fulfilment and the re-sign option is merely insurance should a miracle occur. He's infuriating, all that talent yet there are times he doesn't seem remotely arsed. Embarrassed for him V LEIC, the screaming a la Ned Flanders, right in front of where I sit, after a challenge that barely - seriously - barely touched him. And he done it twice...once of the LEIC players actually started laughing at him cos he got a fright. More conviction applied to winning a foul than getting stuck the eff in...and the arm flailing and ranting, I wish he'd just turn it rarrrrrrr down and concentrate on playing...

Because he could be great.

Instead I feel he'll become a journeyman nearly-man, club to club with little bursts of brilliance and an' attitude that stinks.

Harsh but fair!

If you were offered the choice of Fonte now or VVD in the summer, which would you choose ?
I think that may be the kind of dilemma we are facing, we can get players now, but maybe the players we really want will not be available until the season ends.
I think also that players like Berahino and Fonte already know where they will finish up when they look for transfers or refuse to sign new contracts, so there are very players available in this window.
We are probably prepared to release Jagielka, but not without a replacement. The player we want is not currently available so Jagielka stays..for now.

RK said at the start of the window it is about quality and not quantity. I think there are definite targets rather than a scattergun approach.

What happened to their bid for a striker from the championship?

They can't do any deals yet again! I thought we were bad, they have had 2 windows where they can't even negotiate with a championship club haha

Scott Hogan, £15 million Brentford holding out for....West Ham bidding £12.5. Rochdale due a massive sell on too.

If you were offered the choice of Fonte now or VVD in the summer, which would you choose ?
I think that may be the kind of dilemma we are facing, we can get players now, but maybe the players we really want will not be available until the season ends.
I think also that players like Berahino and Fonte already know where they will finish up when they look for transfers or refuse to sign new contracts, so there are very players available in this window.
We are probably prepared to release Jagielka, but not without a replacement. The player we want is not currently available so Jagielka stays..for now.

RK said at the start of the window it is about quality and not quantity. I think there are definite targets rather than a scattergun approach.

VVD in the summer

We'd get a couple of years out of Fonte, if that

All being well we'd get at least 5 out of Virgil

With Pennington starting to get back to fitness we should have enough options at CB to last us until the summer

I'm not sure we need much more in this window. Ron seems to finally have found his partner for Lukaku i.e Kev who's is much more effective up top than out wide. If we can't get bodies in that are an improvement on what we have then we may as well wait til the Summer. If we can get proper magic then yeah but nothing else is a priority.

I think this is a realistic and reasonable way to look at things.

I still think we might get another 1-2 in, and to play devils advocate a little, if we did not, then it would seem to be the second window in succession where we have not spent as much as suggested in advance and brought in as many signings as expected.

That's just a general impression based on admittedly loose paper talk and internet links but also the general thrust of comments from Moshiri and Koeman would have led me to think we would be a little busier this month.

If they can't get more of their targets in, then fair enough, no point throwing money away for nothing. Schneiderlin is an excellent signing and hopefully Lookman will prove to be so too.

The one caveat I would add is that if we don't add further signings in the next two weeks, we have to get it right in the summer and the excuses of players not being available/less value in the market won't be accepted as readily then. I admit I have doubts about Everton being able to spend a significant amount of cash within the same window and co-ordinate things to the degree where signing 5 or 6 players becomes a reality.

We still need that many in my opinion, and if we can make a dent on that number this month, it will be great. I'm happy with the players signed so far but I think if the big push in signings that we had been expecting since last year does not materialise in the summer, folk will not be happy.

The net outlay to date is modest and not indicative so far of serious investment and months of transfer planning coming to fruition. It's all on the summer for me. I don't expect a lot in January, and last summer was the bedding in period for all our new staff.

We aren't getting him anyway!

Think most of this talk and initial excitment sadly came from Esk and WRD. Granted i can't question the latter but esk also said we wanted depay in the same tweet....

We were interested in Depay. We just didn't want to pay £20m for him. He wasn't a priority. He'd have been a bonus.

I too have my doubts on VVD, but I don't doubt our interest. I doubt our ability to get a deal done, and I don't think he'll leave Saints until the summer.

BARCA would never have let him go were he showing any chance of fulfilment and the re-sign option is merely insurance should a miracle occur. He's infuriating, all that talent yet there are times he doesn't seem remotely arsed. Embarrassed for him V LEIC, the screaming a la Ned Flanders, right in front of where I sit, after a challenge that barely - seriously - barely touched him. And he done it twice...once of the LEIC players actually started laughing at him cos he got a fright. More conviction applied to winning a foul than getting stuck the eff in...and the arm flailing and ranting, I wish he'd just turn it rarrrrrrr down and concentrate on playing...

Because he could be great.

Instead I feel he'll become a journeyman nearly-man, club to club with little bursts of brilliance and an' attitude that stinks.
Barca have let plenty of great players go before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back