Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
The season is effectively over IMO.

We can wait til the summer rather than pay crazy money, or go for C/D list players. Happy with all business done so far.

It will sting when we lose a few games mind, but not as much as when Moyes had us challenging for the top 4 only for us to regularly do nothing in January.

Maybe we had our heart set on Pickford and VVD and dont wanna move down the list?

Meh, who knows.

Honestly mate?

Not a clue just yet, its all a mess, cant even begin to get my head round it all.

Surely it would all depend on many, many factors, mostly revolving around Rom if truth be told, hand on heart, is 7th enough to "keep him"?

The USM FF and other things might sort us out STCC wise, it all depends.

Wiser men than me will look upon such things.
Cheers mate

I believe this has been a fantastic window for the club.

We signed a good young talent and a first choice target early doors to sort it out.

We have let go 5 squad players so far? Except selling players isn't why it's a great window. It's changing the mind set of the club whilst we have done that. To get rid of so many players in one go and not panic buy replacements tells me at least that the manager is laying the law down and setting a standard of player he expects at the club. Thst flows through everyone , so now there is less chance of players not performing because they know they will be binned off the next window that comes around.

And as for incoming, that's money off next seasons total, not this seasons.

'Fantastic' is pushing it like.

'Fantastic' is pushing it like.

One injury away from Enner up front
Mori the liability and a 20 year old in our backline along with a yard dog defender 33 year old who's been average in some games
Happy with Enner as backup
No left back cover
Baxter back
Neg net spend if you add up all the pending sales

Fantastic is crazy. We are one signing away from 'good window' but i'd take it how it is now to not see Jim white embarrass us and the debacle of the plane waiting for the Newcastle lad again

One injury away from Enner up front
Mori the liability and a 20 year old in our backline along with a yard dog defender 33 year old who's been average in some games
Happy with Enner as backup
No left back cover
Baxter back
Neg net spend if you add up all the pending sales

Fantastic is crazy. We are one signing away from 'good window' but i'd take it how it is now to not see Jim white embarrass us and the debacle of the plane waiting for the Newcastle lad again

I for 1 admire the wonderful game of chicken Ronny K is playing.

We have replaced Stones with Williams, Jags with Holgate in defense, giving us a stronger defense.

We have replaced Barry with Schneiderlin, and McCarthy with Gueye in the midfield.

Uptop we have replaced Del with Lookman.

We have 4 new starters out of 7 in defense and in the midfield compared to last season, and we have two up and comers in Davies and Lookman that by the end of the season may likely starting 2 more spots. That's a lot of changeover for one year, and while the offense hasn't seen much change, perhaps that's why we have seen the defense greatly improve to third in the league.

Weird window. The club have done a lot of good business...but if I was Steve Walsh I'd already be losing sleep about the summer window. He could have a lot of work to do.

People are happy that we've bought a couple of good players, which we have, but when you look overall, none of the players we've bought can't be accounted for by the extra TV money the club has access to.

We can say we're loaded and as ambitious as much as we want but until we have proof in a transfer window that we are I'll still remain to be convinced.

I do think we'll get the new stadium built but on paper we've been in this position before when Kings Dock was being talked up but all it ended up being was talk.

I'm not saying Moshiri is a fraud but he hasn't backed up his ambition with real intent in the transfer market and the fact that Koeman felt the need to put pressure on the board to buy players is a worry to me.

Spending more than other clubs in the January transfer window, when we spent nothing in the summer window doesn't prove ambition. In some ways you could argue we haven't spent any more than we'd have expected to spend if Kenwright was still in charge.

I still remain to be convinced about our ambition. At the end of the day talk is cheap and all we've had from Moshiri is talk. Until a spade goes in the ground or we start buying players that we consider above our station I'll keep tempered expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back