Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, my attempt at an objective review of the window:

Out:
Niasse
Cleverley
Gibson

Fantastic business. Absolute drain on wages, the lot of them

Out:
Deulofeu
Oviedo

Both could have played a part here, but neither were in the plans. As much as I, and loads more, love Gerard, he needs to figure *something* out.

In:
Schneiderlin
Lookman

Excellent

Taking it 100% at face value, a very good window.

The PROBLEM here is that after the absolute shambles of a window in the summer, it was said time and again this window would not go balls up. 'Lessons have been learned, we got this'. After being beaten to a pulp with the idiotic STCC "STONES MUST BE SOLD FOR US TO GO ON", I think most expected a...different window. We had been told time and again that if we do not get players in on big wages, the sale of Stones would essentially be wasted.

Whilst everyone knows January is a very difficult window to do business in, I would have thought there would have been at least another in after Schneiderlin came in with 20 days left in the window.

Getting a fee agreed to for Befodil and then pulling out, ok, no problem. Someone clearly didn't like him for whatever reason. But that showed that there was a desire to get stronger in a certain position and then...nothing.

The plyers heading out, excellent(mostly). The players coming in, excellent(definitely).

Just feel like there is something a bit odd about the last 20 days of the window.

Sounds a little odd but feel like a Lennon esque loan signing from a couple years ago would have been perfect for this window. Clear that our top targets weren't available at this time of year, but if we could have got an experienced player in in an attacking position to give us a bit of depth until the summer (no need to buy) would have given the squad some much needed depth.

OK, my attempt at an objective review of the window:

Out:
Niasse
Cleverley
Gibson

Fantastic business. Absolute drain on wages, the lot of them

Out:
Deulofeu
Oviedo

Both could have played a part here, but neither were in the plans. As much as I, and loads more, love Gerard, he needs to figure *something* out.

In:
Schneiderlin
Lookman

Excellent

Taking it 100% at face value, a very good window.

The PROBLEM here is that after the absolute shambles of a window in the summer, it was said time and again this window would not go balls up. 'Lessons have been learned, we got this'. After being beaten to a pulp with the idiotic STCC "STONES MUST BE SOLD FOR US TO GO ON", I think most expected a...different window. We had been told time and again that if we do not get players in on big wages, the sale of Stones would essentially be wasted.

Whilst everyone knows January is a very difficult window to do business in, I would have thought there would have been at least another in after Schneiderlin came in with 20 days left in the window.

Getting a fee agreed to for Befodil and then pulling out, ok, no problem. Someone clearly didn't like him for whatever reason. But that showed that there was a desire to get stronger in a certain position and then...nothing.

The plyers heading out, excellent(mostly). The players coming in, excellent(definitely).

Just feel like there is something a bit odd about the last 20 days of the window.
I'd thought the same. The only thing to my mind was that we felt we could manage with what we have, with the possibility of a few under 23s added, and will look to the summer for major targets. The summer needs some serious attention though now.

Or I can read quite clearly what others are posting in the thread?

You are defending the indefensible. Bravo.

Back on topic: good window. One or two more ins and it would have been great, but the right players have to be available. Given that we have only the league to focus upon, I'm not angry about Koeman taking the risk of relying on U23's stepping up if needed.

havent defended anything. there are posters whose sole input on the forum is almost only dave-related. when I see the threads derailed I dont just see the little orange man at fault.

on topic as well. id go along with @MoutsGoat view that there can really be no excuse for not getting some serious business done in the summer. that attack needs a lot more work.

im relatively happy with the business done in the two windows, apart from Bolasie, but theres business not done that should have been. Its hard to see what Mosh was on about with all the monopoly money talk and determination to get it right next time.

Roll on the next, even bloody longer, transfer window....

I'm pleased by the fact that we're clearly valuing the youth players in the squad and not putting unecessary blockers in the way to their progression by wasting money on squad fillers. We've got rid of a lot of dross and got in a first team midfielder who Koeman wanted. What a boost though to the likes of Calvert Lewin, Holgate, Davies, Lookman when they see that they're trusted as backup players rather than guys coming in taking their minutes for ten million here, ten million there.

I'm pleased by the fact that we're clearly valuing the youth players in the squad and not putting unecessary blockers in the way to their progression by wasting money on squad fillers. We've got rid of a lot of dross and got in a first team midfielder who Koeman wanted. What a boost though to the likes of Calvert Lewin, Holgate, Davies, Lookman when they see that they're trusted as backup players rather than guys coming in taking their minutes for ten million here, ten million there.
It also gives said young players a window until further recruitment in the summer to make a stake for a place in the team.

I agree, but he leaves us in the summer?
I didn't insinuate you said we shouldn't sign players who don't speak English. You said (paraphrasing), "he can't speak English so how does he give advice to younger players?", I'd love to see Diego Costa coaching some of our youngsters how to play footie, wouldn't you?
Costa's a bit of a bell, but even then the difference is diego costa is quality, arouna kone is not.

Because the players he's shifted where utter turd mate.

Btw what [Poor language removed] squad was deconstructed, the squad had melted down under Martinez already

Go on with you sadsack comments mate, utter show you've become lately, slate Baines, the manager. The owner, the dof, the captain - until you think he's leaving ofc in which case defend him. Find a way to praise the park end for making koeman play the yoooof, utter cockwomble lately Dave, and its sad to see.
That's great as a deflection tactic. But you don't address the issue: what was CONSTRUCTED here in the last two windows?

Yes we see the fire sale. Yes we see the squad whittled down. Yes, yes, yes. And now what? When (btw, after £70m has been spent already) will we see a squad coming together? We have a core of first team players now and that's all. Sorry if I don't buy into the "well in Ronny lad...you've really binned off that rubbish lad" whooping that's going on right now, because I can see past that and I look to how friggin threadbare we are.

I think it's been an appalling start to reshaping the squad. At this rate he'll need 5 windows to get the job done...and he defo isn't getting that leeway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back